Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-16-2018, 06:05 AM   #1
Wicked1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21100
Montana Owner Question

Ok so this is our First Montana but not first RV, and I am trying to put together a list of spare parts to carry in case something goes wrong on the road.

I have spare screws, wires, plumbing clamps, Pex Pipe, wood filler and glue.

My question is since we own a new 3121RL which is this models first year, what seems to break or go wrong often on Montana’s we have the 3-Year warranty and we all know these always have some sort of issues.

We already had the galley grey valve go bad 5 weeks into ownership so I may carry an extra grey valve handle and wire just in case so I can fix either of the three tanks releases.

Just looking for a list of things that seem to go awry with Montana’s as we have all the most common spare parts, fuses, wires lap sealant, caulk, eternabond tape etc.

I have been checking the whole unit every time we leave for a trip, when we are on the road, and when we leave to come back home.

I am thinking of getting a lug post in case one of the ones on either wheel happen to break off bc I know they are not common parts auto parts stores carry.

Any input would be helpful, but not sure if this is normal but we have had some quality control issues with our unit especially the blinds not working, I have been fixing most of the stuff but have to get parts from Keystone so it will be going in for warranty replacement blinds soon and my new Road Armor Pin Box is so Rusted it looks like it is 30 years old so Keystone will be replacing it in a few weeks.

Thanks in Advance and any tips would be appreciated.

Wicked1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 07:48 AM   #2
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
A good compliment of tools of course, some Eternabond tape and maybe some lap sealer. Spare 12V fuses. I did end up with an extra Level-Up keypad so that is in my cabinet. As far as a spare wheel stud, I don’t think I’d worry about that. You have 7 other ones that will do just fine. You would have to pull the brake drum and wheel bearings to fix it anyway.
There are some very experienced RV’ers on here, you’re sure to come away with a comprehensive list.
I don’t carry many ‘spare’ parts. Just the keypad.
Old 04-16-2018, 08:35 AM   #3
Loneoak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19514
People complain often of holding tanks not closing properly. We had this problem on our previous (SOB) unit. I found a cheap and effective fix on a forum, which is a Valterra valve. You put it at the end of your dumping pipe by putting it where your end cap goes and the putting the end cap after the valve. We added one to our new Monty right after we bought it, more as insurance than anything.

DH keeps his tools in the truck or the basement storage, but one time we got stuck in our trailer because the door lock jammed up. This was two trailers ago. Since then we have kept a multi head screwdriver inside the trailer.

2017 High Country 305RL
2015 Ford F-250 Super Duty
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 08:38 AM   #4
Troutn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked1 View Post
Ok so this is our First Montana but not first RV, and I am trying to put together a list of spare parts to carry in case something goes wrong on the road.

I have spare screws, wires, plumbing clamps, Pex Pipe, wood filler and glue.

My question is since we own a new 3121RL which is this models first year, what seems to break or go wrong often on Montana’s we have the 3-Year warranty and we all know these always have some sort of issues.

We already had the galley grey valve go bad 5 weeks into ownership so I may carry an extra grey valve handle and wire just in case so I can fix either of the three tanks releases.

Just looking for a list of things that seem to go awry with Montana’s as we have all the most common spare parts, fuses, wires lap sealant, caulk, eternabond tape etc.

I have been checking the whole unit every time we leave for a trip, when we are on the road, and when we leave to come back home.

I am thinking of getting a lug post in case one of the ones on either wheel happen to break off bc I know they are not common parts auto parts stores carry.

Any input would be helpful, but not sure if this is normal but we have had some quality control issues with our unit especially the blinds not working, I have been fixing most of the stuff but have to get parts from Keystone so it will be going in for warranty replacement blinds soon and my new Road Armor Pin Box is so Rusted it looks like it is 30 years old so Keystone will be replacing it in a few weeks.

Thanks in Advance and any tips would be appreciated.
I think you have a decent list already. All of my stuff/parts/tools is from previous experiences. Congratulations on the new purchase! We just bough our 2nd Montana and love the make for sure!
Troutn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 09:17 AM   #5
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutn View Post
I think you have a decent list already. All of my stuff/parts/tools is from previous experiences. Congratulations on the new purchase! We just bough our 2nd Montana and love the make for sure!
BLINDS!!! My Cougar had blinds by MCD. Keystone went cheap in 2017 and have put poor quality in. Before my 5er left the lot they ordered 4 replacements and there are 3 more ordered under warranty. These end up a special order from the manufacturer and take about 6 weeks to arrive. One more item I'll have to replace after warranty with a better product!
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 12:24 PM   #6
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked1 View Post
...Ok so this is our First Montana but not first RV, and I am trying to put together a list of spare parts to carry in case something goes wrong on the road....
I corrected your first sentence for you..."Ok so this is our First Montana but not first RV, and I am trying to put together a list of spare parts to carry when something goes wrong on the road."
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 06:41 PM   #7
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
If you don't boondock much, I would not bother with spare parts other than maybe the screws and nuts for the side fenders. If something else breaks, you can always go to a dealer or home depot for most things. I agree on the external Valterra valve on the end of the sewer pipe. Sooner or later a valve will not close all the way and the next stop you will wish you had the external valve!!!

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 07:06 PM   #8
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
I carry a good assortment of tools and general parts. I tried to be a generic as possible with parts that could fix primarily issues that would keep me from getting the unit back home and or are 5thwheel specific (as in may be hard to buy at lowes or home depot).

There is simply no way to carry everything to cover ANY issue that WILL crop up. Best you can do is just make sure that you can fix the things that will completely ruin your trip and or leave you on the side of the highway. Wheel bearings come to mind (although I admit I don't have any YET---my rig is brand new).
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 07:31 PM   #9
Kenw
Established Member

M.O.C. #19636
I read a while back someone said that they keep an extra inner and outer wheel bearings. They called it a high impact low storage requirement.
Kenw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 07:32 PM   #10
Wicked1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loneoak View Post
People complain often of holding tanks not closing properly. We had this problem on our previous (SOB) unit. I found a cheap and effective fix on a forum, which is a Valterra valve. You put it at the end of your dumping pipe by putting it where your end cap goes and the putting the end cap after the valve. We added one to our new Monty right after we bought it, more as insurance than anything.

DH keeps his tools in the truck or the basement storage, but one time we got stuck in our trailer because the door lock jammed up. This was two trailers ago. Since then we have kept a multi head screwdriver inside the trailer.

Yeah we have the Valterra Valve had it before Montana but issue was when we brought it home it worked, on the ride home 700 miles Keystone put valve between Tank and Rafter beam so bouncing caused valve to get stuck in the closed position. One CW dealer told me after arriving for our 3 week vacation just don’t use the galley sink” I was at a loss for words”.

After another CW swapped the valve by order of Keystone we are on but leave Factory grey valves open now and use Valterra to keep anything from coming out but thanks for the heads up.

I am going to order a replacement for my Black bc we don’t want issues with that one when on the road 🤦*♂️ Yuck 🤦*♂️
Wicked1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 10:50 PM   #11
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Tony, the biggest problem with most of the tank valves is that they get "gunk" in the closure and will not operate then. I try to put some type of lubricant into the tank, like Calgon Liquid Water Softener, and it helps to keep the inside of the tank a little more slick and helps to lube the valve also. I also spray silicone lube on the pull cables/rods to keep them working easier. You stated you are leaving your gray tank valves open-- does this mean you don't close them a day or two prior to dumping the black tank? If this is so, if you close your gray tank valves a day or two prior to dumping it can be used to flush the sewer line and make things a lot easier. If you owned an RV prior to this unit you basically know what you need.. since you have the 3 year warranty, use it and let the dealers work on it at Keystone's cost not money out of your pocket. Small stuff like screws and nuts are always good to carry because they will always come loose and fall out because of our "smooth" roads. Good luck and enjoy that new unit!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 07:27 AM   #12
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
WD-40 and duct tape!

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 08:26 AM   #13
mjammersc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17609
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeBeFulltime View Post
WD-40 and duct tape!
And a hammer

mjammersc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 08:56 AM   #14
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
As for tools: Harbor Freight is your Friend. Their's may not be the highest quality, but for the use once or twice a year they're fine.
Old 04-17-2018, 09:58 AM   #15
JABURKHOLDER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18572
You've already got the basics but I would suggest reading a lot of different threads in this forum. You will get a great insight into what problems folks have had and what fixes have been. Then be proactive in heading off those common problems we all have had.

As far as a list goes, everybody's lists are personal and based on past experiences and personal mechanical ability comfort levels. Don't get yourself into the mindset of "what if that thing or that other thing goes bad ?" You may find yourself carrying a parts store in your basement. Remember, you still have your truck and can always drive to the parts store.

Now boondocking is a whole different animal. I do not boondock but if I did, I'd probably have a "spare" RV with me.

Rule #1. The Chief is always right.
Rule #2. When in doubt, refer to rule #1.
JABURKHOLDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 10:41 AM   #16
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
As for tools: Harbor Freight is your Friend. Their's may not be the highest quality, but for the use once or twice a year they're fine.
I couldn't agree more.

I would also like to add that a set of bearings for your axles may come in handy if you have one go bad.
For trips that are more than an hour from home, I carry two spare tires because if you have a blowout chances are that with all of the weight being transferred to the one tire on that side, and the tire already hot, you will damage it before you can get the unit stopped.
Old 04-17-2018, 04:24 PM   #17
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfmedik View Post
I couldn't agree more.

I would also like to add that a set of bearings for your axles may come in handy if you have one go bad.
For trips that are more than an hour from home, I carry two spare tires because if you have a blowout chances are that with all of the weight being transferred to the one tire on that side, and the tire already hot, you will damage it before you can get the unit stopped.
That is why you need a TPMS. It saved me 2 hears ago. I got stopped within 1/4 mile with a fast leak. By the time I put out flashers rim was on the ground,

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 05:12 PM   #18
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
A charged cell phone to call a mobile tech.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 05:53 PM   #19
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
Quote:
Originally Posted by twindman View Post
That is why you need a TPMS. It saved me 2 hears ago. I got stopped within 1/4 mile with a fast leak. By the time I put out flashers rim was on the ground,
Tom, I have a TPMS system and I had no parameters out of the ordinary when the GY G614 blew a fist sized hole in the sidewall a few months ago. Thankfully I had just gotten off of the interstate and was on a two lane road. TPMS systems are great, and I have one for the same reason, but not all blowouts send any messages prior to going.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180119_152340918_HDR-600x600.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	124.0 KB
ID:	1538