Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-06-2018, 11:09 AM   #1
Bochim
Established Member

M.O.C. #19041
Outside Storage Door Latches

Hello All,
And thank you ahead of time for any help. The outside storage door locks, after many years of use, are starting to strip threads. I went to Amazon and found a latch that folks said did not have a universal key. Where would you folks go to buy 3 or 4 new latches.
Thanks, Steve

Old 07-06-2018, 02:12 PM   #2
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
On line cheaper than a rv dealership or CW.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 09:27 PM   #3
BuilderBob
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20475
Go on line and tipe in CH751 best locks out there for your 5er!
Happy Trails
BuilderBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 05:37 AM   #4
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
If they are a 'standard' tubular cam lock, either Home Depot or Lowe's will have a pretty good selection which you can purchase keyed alike. They will not have the CH751 keyed lock that everyone in the campground will have several though. There are also tubular key and combination versions from places like McMaster-Carr ( https://www.mcmaster.com/# )

Pull one off and measure the tube length then match at the big box store (also take it with you JIC you are unsure of your measurements as many are now soldin metric lengths.
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 02:00 PM   #5
Bochim
Established Member

M.O.C. #19041
Great ideas here. I was resigned to having locks that most campers had access to. Which actually I do not mind. The majority of campers seem to be fine folks who would rather help than steal from someone.
Going to Lowes or Home Depot when we are in the east is not a big deal. 6 or 7 months a year we live in Montana at a state park so that is not as much of an option until some time in October. We do go to the Helena Costco (2 1/2 hours) every few weeks so I will put a cork in the hole for now and buy one when we go there. Thanks again.
Old 07-08-2018, 03:24 PM   #6
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
A local hardware store will likely have them also.
As far as the 751 key, I wouldn’t worry either way. Someone broke into mine in the storage facility several years ago. They didn’t bother with a key. Just popped the door with a screwdriver or similar and didn’t even damage the door. Just bent the little tab on the lock. Bent it back with my thumb and it is still there.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 07:27 PM   #7
Bochim
Established Member

M.O.C. #19041
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_TX View Post
A local hardware store will likely have them also.
As far as the 751 key, I wouldn’t worry either way. Someone broke into mine in the storage facility several years ago. They didn’t bother with a key. Just popped the door with a screwdriver or similar and didn’t even damage the door. Just bent the little tab on the lock. Bent it back with my thumb and it is still there.
And the older I get the more I don't care if someone takes whatever they want, except for my fly rod of course.