Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 10-09-2017, 10:25 AM   #1
K&Gs3400RL
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9671
House Toilet

We're full timing and won't be doing any traveling for at least 6 more years. After we retire. I'm thinking of putting in a low gallon flush toilet. Has anyone done this. Our black tank is cracked and leaks. But I can't find anyone to replace it. And I have no idea and don't feel comfortable doing it my self. Drilling holes in the top for vent and flush valve scares me. I'd hate to ruin a perfectly good tank, and have to buy another.

K&Gs3400RL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 10:44 AM   #2
Loneoak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19514
I cannot answer your question, but have you looked into the composting toilets? We saw them at an RV show last year. I don't know much about them, but it could be a consideration.

2017 High Country 305RL
2015 Ford F-250 Super Duty
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 02:11 PM   #3
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
You can repair your tank instead of putting in a new one. Did my galley grey tank several years ago and did my black tank earlier this spring. Look at the plastimend product which is available several places. If I was going away from an rv toilet, I would go the route of a composting one as the number two turns into soil in a special compartment that holds peat moss.
jcurtis934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 02:52 PM   #4
bad99ram
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18650
Quote:
Originally Posted by K&Gs3400RL View Post
We're full timing and won't be doing any traveling for at least 6 more years. After we retire. I'm thinking of putting in a low gallon flush toilet. Has anyone done this. Our black tank is cracked and leaks. But I can't find anyone to replace it. And I have no idea and don't feel comfortable doing it my self. Drilling holes in the top for vent and flush valve scares me. I'd hate to ruin a perfectly good tank, and have to buy another.
Don't see why it wouldn't work BUT I believe that you would need to plumb direct from the toilet right to the sewer outside then it would be like a park model as they don't have holding tanks either.
bad99ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 03:45 PM   #5
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
We have a high rise residential toilet in our park Model with holding tank! Have to empty tank twice a day.It does have a verh large foot print in the bath room
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 03:55 PM   #6
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I see no reason you couldn't do it. You need to see if your bathroom is large enough and at some point you will need to reinstall an RV toilet when you start to travel or sell the unit. Not many people will wont a camper with a residential toilet.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 09:30 PM   #7
jeff_banning
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20129
Only issue I see is having to drain tank before travel to make sure it does not splash all over floor. I think it would even with the loose lid on it.

You may also be challenged by the hole in the floor being too close to wall for a residential to set on it due to tank.
2017 Ford F350 King Ranch DRW 6.7L PS 4:10's
Monett, MO
jeff_banning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 11:26 PM   #8
catskiner
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9253
Iam not sure but I think a rv toilet connects to a three inch pipe and a regular house one connects to a four inch pipe?
catskiner is offline   Reply With Quote