Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-18-2017, 03:58 PM   #1
Ram Montana High Country
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19944
Favor to Ask

I have a friend thinking about an RV - I'm not sure he could handle a 5er (bending in the middle, hitching, etc.) and is thinking class A - is there a recommendation for or against any units?

Is there a good forum to research similar to this (not the same quality, I'm sure)

Thank you

Ram Montana High Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 04:06 PM   #2
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
RV.net Open Roads forum has subforums for Class A motorhomes as well as forums for class C and class B MHs.

RV.net Open Roads often gets into bickering but I think the Class A forum is probably one of the calmer ones.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 04:23 PM   #3
Good Life
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19869
Stay away from Thor .
2016 3721RL
Good Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 06:18 PM   #4
uhftx
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2446
If he goes with a class A or B or C. He will still end up towing something to get around while camping at a site. OR disconnect and motor down the road and struggle to park with a 30/48' motor home.
NO matter what. There is bending involved. from sewer line hookups to tank dump valves to placing supports under levelers.
There are no perfect solutions and maybe it is not the way to go for them.
Motels and waffle house may be a more convenient life style. Plus the cost of campgrounds nightly are approaching motel rates, once you figure in the fuel costs and slower travel MPH.
Just my opinion.
Have them rent a RV for a week. Normally a class C and give it a whirl for a test.
Old 09-18-2017, 06:30 PM   #5
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
My first question would be does he already own a tow vehicle ? If not then he has to buy both if he where to go with a trailer of some kind. There is no motor maintenance with a trailer. Where as with a class a you will have to maintain it along with the towed car.

Does he know you can not back up a class A/C with a toad (as they call it) more than a foot or two. That would destroy the tow bar system.

Just google full time in a class A or a fifth wheel and you will get more info than you could possibly want to read.

There is no such thing as the perfect RV.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 06:34 PM   #6
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Chris's recommendation to rent is spot on. They will get a better feel for what may work for them or they may even decide the RV lifestyle is not for them.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 11:43 PM   #7
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Had the C and A. At 69 years old prefer my 5er! With auto level things really changed.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 04:50 AM   #8
mjammersc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17609
In addition to possibly renting a unit to try it, take your friend fro a weekend trip in your rig ad have him do most the setup & tear down work to see if it is something he can handle.

Also as stated above, the auto leveling makes setup much easier and rentals won't have that perk. He'd be doing blocks under tires and such. I've seen some people doing 5vers with pretty limited mobility without any real problem. They are just a little slower working the process and they work a system. Had a person across from me recently who had a small step/stool he carried around to access the truck bed, step up to the awnings to adjust them, sit on if he had to do low work, and just took his time putting things away. Of course he had a Montana so he was obviously smarter than the average camper

mjammersc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 07:34 AM   #9
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjammersc View Post
In addition to possibly renting a unit to try it, take your friend fro a weekend trip in your rig ad have him do most the setup & tear down work to see if it is something he can handle.

Also as stated above, the auto leveling makes setup much easier and rentals won't have that perk. He'd be doing blocks under tires and such. I've seen some people doing 5vers with pretty limited mobility without any real problem. They are just a little slower working the process and they work a system. Had a person across from me recently who had a small step/stool he carried around to access the truck bed, step up to the awnings to adjust them, sit on if he had to do low work, and just took his time putting things away. Of course he had a Montana so he was obviously smarter than the average camper
I'm 69. Broke my back in 1968, paratrooper knees, and arthritis found a lot of places to settle in. Bought an F350 in 2016 to pull the Cougar. Traded the Cougar on a Montana this year. Yes, I have the folding step stool, needed to put/remove the lock from the hitch. I have a boat hook in the pass through to reach things in there and truck bed too. All 6 legs get a 2x8 and plastic levelers if really unlevel before hitting auto-level. I put a reel in the pass through to help with the anaconda. Awning is power, no problem. Set-up generally leaves the sewer connection for day 2. Not sure if it makes any difference but this is 43' long. It may take me a few minutes longer, but it all gets done. Where I have difficulty is in backing as my neck and back have a very limited range in turning. I need assistance from someone that can help from no farther back than truck doors. So far it works every time. I found less problem with the 5er than a class A and toad. Not just less expensive, but a hell of a lot less in every way. There are some maintenance issues that most can do that I need a tech for ~ frustrating at times but it is what it is.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 07:49 AM   #10
Good Life
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19869
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
I'm 69. Broke my back in 1968, paratrooper knees, and arthritis found a lot of places to settle in. Bought an F350 in 2016 to pull the Cougar. Traded the Cougar on a Montana this year. Yes, I have the folding step stool, needed to put/remove the lock from the hitch. I have a boat hook in the pass through to reach things in there and truck bed too. All 6 legs get a 2x8 and plastic levelers if really unlevel before hitting auto-level. I put a reel in the pass through to help with the anaconda. Awning is power, no problem. Set-up generally leaves the sewer connection for day 2. Not sure if it makes any difference but this is 43' long. It may take me a few minutes longer, but it all gets done. Where I have difficulty is in backing as my neck and back have a very limited range in turning. I need assistance from someone that can help from no farther back than truck doors. So far it works every time. I found less problem with the 5er than a class A and toad. Not just less expensive, but a hell of a lot less in every way. There are some maintenance issues that most can do that I need a tech for ~ frustrating at times but it is what it is.
Accurate details! Thanks for your service to this great country!
2016 3721RL
Old 09-19-2017, 10:40 AM   #11
awheeler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19482
Thor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Life View Post
Stay away from Thor .
Thor owns Keystone.
awheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 11:15 AM   #12
Good Life
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19869
I know, I own two Montana's the 2011 is twice the trailer over the 2016!!!
You think Keystone is bad?? Own a thor! Get ready to take a bath when you sell!!!!
2016 3721RL
Old 09-19-2017, 01:47 PM   #13
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I have both a 5 er and a class C MH. They both have advantages. For me I'd rather pull the 5 er. The MH is sure easy, park, hit the level up button, hook up to power and hoses and you are done. The MH at 32 feet is easy to drive and take a break in but with a V10 it just don't have the power of t diesel. With the MH you need to pull a car behind it and that kills what power you have.
The best thing to do is have him drive both and see what is involved in owing either one.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 06:17 PM   #14
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeje View Post
Does he know you can not back up a class A/C with a toad (as they call it) more than a foot or two. That would destroy the tow bar system.
I had never heard this. Can you refer me to a web page that talks about this? Thanks.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 06:55 PM   #15
jlb27537
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13157
Quote:
Originally Posted by CORattler View Post
I had never heard this. Can you refer me to a web page that talks about this? Thanks.
Don't need a web page, the caster on the toad will cause the front wheels to turn "sideways" and not like being pushed backways.

A couple of feet backways is OK, after that, not a good idea.

Might want to read first paragraph on page 3, IF you want to read not to back up with a toad.

http://roadmasterinc.com/pdf/522.pdf

2012 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW 4x4 3.73 Tow Max Pkg B&W Companion 60 gal RDS aux fuel tank. 2014 Montana 3150RL, 2 A/C's, Leather, 6 Point Jacks, Splendede WD2100XC, Mor/ryde X-Factor, Duravis 250 tires with TST 507RV monitors. 2 x Honda EU2000's
jlb27537 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 07:04 PM   #16
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
You can backup a Toad, but it takes two people, one to backup the MH and one to steer the toad.
Old 09-19-2017, 07:33 PM   #17
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
You can backup a Toad, but it takes two people, one to backup the MH and one to steer the toad.
That's why it is normally not a good idea to back it up. If you put a driver in the toad, and the MH turns while backing, the toad driver does not know the exact amount to turn the steering wheel to match the MH's rate of turn. Easy way to screw up the tow bars and the toad...and scrub the tires.

We've had a MH and I've never seen a driver in the toad going backwards.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote