Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-20-2005, 05:03 PM   #1
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I will be disowned...

OK... Dealing with Dave Smith Motors in Idaho for a tv. They are a Chevy/Ford/Dodge dealership. My Father-in-Law was a 40 yr GM man (management), My Brother-in-Law is getting ready to retire from Delphi in March after 30 yrs (None too soon, there!). I have had great luck with GM products over the past 20 yrs (Ford before that).

With that said, I have been working on my credit scores for several months and they are climbing to the point where I am getting very close to getting a good interest rate. Smith Motors knows I am looking for a 2500HD D/A. I have two vehicles that I have to sell or trade.

Saturday, I received a phone call and the sales rep I have been dealing with asked me what I thought about a Dodge (2006 2500 Lariat, 5.9 TD, MegaCab 4x4). I told her I hadn't thought about it. She informed me that apparently Dodge/Chrylser is on a kick to increase financing customers. She told me she got a customer financed at 3.6% with a 575 Credit Score, and no one else at GMAC/Ford would touch him.

She came up with a price of $39,500. Today I got a phone call from her, after giving her permission to run my credit on Saturday, telling me I had been approved for the financing if I wanted it. Wife's initial reaction was rather spectacular... until she realized that I was seriously considering this idea. Being only 15 miles from a Dodge dealership, I called ahead and had them brush off the snow, and warmup any 3/4 ton MegaCab Cummins they might have. They had one - base model, not Lariat. I didn't care as I just wanted to see and drive one.

I will tell you that I was truly impressed with the QUIET cab ride. I had driven a couple of 2005 D/As this fall and this was noticeably quieter at highway speeds . Also, my impression was that you are very high off the ground in these new 2006 Dodges. I realize the hood on a dodge pickup is raised higher than a GM 2500, but it's not that high. Cheryl is now kind of excited about this vehicle... but I know she would still have to go through some "GM spasms" if I go through with this deal.

My concerns: 1. HP/torque (325/610) lowest of the "Big Three". 2. Rear "short box" was only 76.3". Is there a problem with clearance and can I get the hitch centered over the rear axle with that MegaCab? I know that the new Montanas have a new front, but still concerned. If you haven't seen one of these MegaCabs up close, you need to. Almost EXCESSIVE room in the back seat area. More leg room than the front seats... check it out.

3. GCVWR is 20,000 #. Is this comparable? While the back seat/cargo area space is almost obscene, it is only rated for a capacity of only ~1,500 #s. No GAWR numbers that I can find. 4. If we go through with this deal, it may very well limit our ability to stop and stay for free in the relatives' driveways in Asheville, NC (Cheryl's sister) and in Sparta, MI (Cheryl's brother - Delphi). They will eventually get over it.

If this makes financial sense, we will begin negotiations, but I sure would like some input from this forum. 2006 3400RL is planned Montana... unless we see something that really catches our eye in Toledo in Feb at the Great Lakes Dealers RV Show, when Cheryl & I are there with Rich & Helen.

Thanks in advance.
Dave
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote