Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC REGIONAL CAMPING CLUBS > North American MOC/Rio Grande Winter Texans
Click Here to Login

Old 07-24-2005, 04:34 PM   #41
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
Has anyone seen Bensten web page? Has a newsletter and photo gallery.www.benstenpalmvillage.com
Mary

Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 12:40 AM   #42
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
Not the right link. It didn't work for me.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 12:02 PM   #43
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
There is a typo, should be www.bentsenpalmvillage.com
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 09:45 AM   #44
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Do any of you winter Texans know if there are usually empty spaces in the area around Bensten Palm Village or other nice parks for people who want to just drive down to the area in the spring without a reservation? Our reservation at Elite Resort fell through so we don't have any plans for the spring. But it will be a time of transition for us so we're not sure we can get a reservation ahead of time. Thanks for any info or feelings you might have on this subject.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 10:29 AM   #45
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Judy

You usually can get a spot, but January and February will be tough. March 1st on NO PROBLEM!!!!!

This January (2005), we did not know if we could leave Michigan or not, then we were sick, and the snow just would not stop flying here. Finally the end of January we made our escape. Got to Rio Grande and the park we wanted in was full, called the sister park, got right in. The sister park never filled up, got close, but did not fill up.

I would say, you would be able to find a park with a vacancy (January or February), but it might not be your first choice. March 1st a LOT of Winter Texan's leave and go elsewhere, from that date forward you would have a choice of any park you desire. At least that is what we have seen in the 2 years we have been there.

Many of the parks require a full deposit to reserve your lot. Once you give them the deposit it is rather hard to get it back, some will credit you for the next year, but it is kinda hard getting that $$ back in many cases. Some places, no refunds, you have to leave, too bad. Other parks have a more lenient deposit policy. Call, ask, and keep asking very specific questions about that part. What Al and I have done in the past is pay for 1 month at a time, then if we get called home for emergency, we only lose a portion of one month, then a day or so before then end of the month, we go see if we can extend, paying for another month. If we cannot extend, then we move on, so be it.

Hope that helps, noting of course, that every park has it's own specific rules, etc.

Cheers, Carol
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 12:49 PM   #46
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Thanks for sharing those thoughts, Carol. I thought I remembered something about you being turned away because of your four babies so I thought you probably didn't have a reservation. We may be in the middle of getting a house ready to sell so we may have to stay home for the spring. Sure don't want to loose some big bucks if we don't need to do so.
Old 08-05-2005, 01:17 PM   #47
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
We were turned down because there were no campsites in the park we wanted to go to. Learned later that the same park was seriously considering going to a 1 dog per unit rule. I was saddened to hear that, but, said, phooey on youeee.

Went over the Bentsen Palms Village, had a LONG talk with the manager there, and cleared the 4 dogs before the reservation was made. BPV is a very nice park, very different from the first park, but VERY nice. I am particularly interested in using the dog training portion, I need more training!

And, yes, Al and I frequently go out without reservations, and do a fly by the seat of your pants type hunt for a place to park. That way if we have trouble (you know bout that), we can stop and fix the problem, or if we feel like running hard and longer than we usually do, we are free to do that as well. We usually start discussing the situation after lunch sometime and get out the ole campground book.

We have yet to do a Wallmart or Flying J stop over, but did stay in a state campground in Wisconsin last trip with NO hookups. NONE, not even electric. That surprised me, but it was late, had been a long day and we were not moving! Not after we drove UP that mountain to get to the park!
Old 08-05-2005, 04:32 PM   #48
William H. Collier
Montana Master

M.O.C. #798
Bentsen Palms is full for Jan and Feb, just called them yesterday, I waited to long to call. Does anyone have other recommendations that might have an open site?
Bill
William H. Collier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 03:16 AM   #49
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Bill, did you call Bentsen Palms or Bentsen Palms Village, someone will correct me if I am wrong, but I believe there are 2 parks, one with each name. As far as recommendations, only other parks we have experience with are Victoria Palms (Donna) and Llano Grande (Mercedes), both of which are a bit more coin. I am sure some of the others here at MOC with have suggestions tho!
Old 09-02-2005, 08:25 AM   #50
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
The Bentsen Palm Village woodshop was recently completed and we'll be workkamping the woodshop. We'll be there mid Oct. to mid Mar., site presently unknown but it will probabaly be close to the shop.

Skip
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 08:34 AM   #51
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
Skip: Good for you. See you in the Valley.
Old 09-03-2005, 08:59 AM   #52
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Congratulations, Skip and Mary! We'll be in that park 1/5 to 3/5. I will need to check out the woodworking shop to see if it's something that would help me figure out how, and to build, a shelf for under our bedroom TV cabinet. Vicki is requesting...that I come up with something there that will look nice. It's that last part that's a problem for me. So I might be looking for some pointers, if the woodshop is oriented in that direction.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 02:48 PM   #53
vickster
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1165
Well we made our reservations today for December 18th through January 31st at Victoria Palms. "God willing and the creek don't rise" (quoting Carol) and we do not have any further immediate issues with Ron's 97 year old father, we are very much looking forward to a MUCH needed Texas winter!

There are a few rv sites still available at Victoria Palms if anyone is looking for a site this winter. Prices have significantly increased over last year. There was some discussion/rumor last year that VP was going to make a change to their pet policy - verified today that this did not happen. Also the swimming pool is at present going under a major overhaul and should be ready for the winter season.

Looking forward to seeing everyone this winter and enjoying a refreshment or two (or three, or four or five or ........)-- think I am READY!!!!
vickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 03:12 PM   #54
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Great Vic!

Hope it all works out for ALL of us! See ya in the Valley!
Old 10-03-2005, 11:06 PM   #55
JLBOZ60
Montana Master

M.O.C. #826
Vickster, Glad to hear you will be in the Valley, look forward to seeing everyone again! Safe travels to all. Marge
JLBOZ60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 01:20 AM   #56
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
Ron and Vic: See y'all in the valley. We will be there around the 12th of Nov.
Old 10-04-2005, 12:58 PM   #57
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
We signed up for Victoria Palms today for January 10th - March 11th. It's be our first time as Winter Texans and we're looking forward to it. We decided to get a reservation as we've heard that prices in Florida are skyrocketing and many folks might be going to Texas instead.
Old 10-04-2005, 01:10 PM   #58
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Great Judy,

Cannot wait to meet ya!!

See the thread on the RV show in the Rio Grande, January 12th!>G>G>G>
Old 10-04-2005, 03:17 PM   #59
faeb and genb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #57
Like Carol said earlier there are 2 Parks 1 is Bentsen Palm Village & the other is Bentsen Palm. Bentsen Paalm is North of hiway 83.
Gene
faeb and genb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 06:27 PM   #60
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Wow, we'll get there just in time! We're looking forward to meeting you folks, too, and your four babies.