Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 01-14-2020, 12:16 PM   #1
Jetfox

M.O.C. #25628
Removing shower drain cover?

Hi All,

I have a 2006 303 RLD Mountain Edition. The shower drains too slow and I want to remove the cover but I'm not sure if it screws in or is a press fit. Since I have an unfortunate history of breaking things I'm seeking advice.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/tt1yFwwbZt378Wo76

Thanks for any help!

Richard

Jetfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 05:56 PM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Before you do anything look on Amazon or wherever and see what a hepvo valve looks like and then look in the ceiling below your shower and see if you have one. Both of my Monty's have had them in the drain line somewhere and if you try to clean the drain with a snake you'll break them and then sewer smell will be able to come back into the rig. You can guess how I know. If you do, you'll need to either replace it or clean it gently with a soft bottle brush. I'm not sure when they started using them, but I know they are on every rig since 2010.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 07:06 PM   #3
Jetfox

M.O.C. #25628
Thanks, I will take a look before putting anything down the drain. I think that if I can get the cover plate off that getting the anticipated hair ball out would cure the problem. Anyone with an older unit have any idea if it screws down or just presses in?
Old 01-15-2020, 12:01 AM   #4
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
I don't know if the screen presses or screws in either buy I use a wet-dry vac to clean out my drain at home and it works very well. I add some water to the drain then suck the hair out. I would gently pry up on the screen to see if it wants to move or use needle nose pliers to pull straight up. I would doubt it screws in but rv's are made quite often different than regular homes. What ever you do just be gentle. Good luck.
Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 04:26 AM   #5
Desert Rat
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24985
Mine was just lightly pressed in place, it came out easily with a screwdriver that I had the tip bent over at a 90 degree angle and had used on another project.
Old 01-15-2020, 10:02 AM   #6
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Our 2008 3400RL had a standard "P" trap under the shower but our 2012 and 2018.5 had/have the HEPVO valve.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 10:21 AM   #7
prndl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetfox View Post
Hi All,

I have a 2006 303 RLD Mountain Edition. The shower drains too slow and I want to remove the cover but I'm not sure if it screws in or is a press fit. Since I have an unfortunate history of breaking things I'm seeking advice.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/tt1yFwwbZt378Wo76

Thanks for any help!

Richard
There is really nothing to be found there. As said before go into the garage area and look up under the shower and find either the hepvo valve or a p trap. Remove whichever you find and clean or replace it.
prndl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 09:09 AM   #8
Jetfox

M.O.C. #25628
Quote:
Originally Posted by prndl View Post
There is really nothing to be found there. As said before go into the garage area and look up under the shower and find either the hepvo valve or a p trap. Remove whichever you find and clean or replace it.

Ah! OK, thanks I get it now.
Old 01-16-2020, 01:03 PM   #9
Jetfox

M.O.C. #25628
Alright! The drain is draining! Thanks to all who contributed to my successful result.

I removed the P trap under the shower of my 2006 unit and then used a flash light and a probe to poke the hair ball trapped just under the cover plate. The hair was held in place by a plastic device apparently designed to prevent stuff getting into the P trap. Just guessing.

I'm so happy that I did not have to remove the cover plate which did not yield to gentle pressure to pull it up.
Old 01-19-2020, 03:31 PM   #10
laverdur
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11972
The hepvo valve allows for a shower floor that is lower than it would be with a standard P-trap. I find that after winter storage my shower drains slowly for a day or two until sticky soap residue in the hepvo valve gets moistened again and the valve halves stop sticking together.