Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 02-16-2018, 05:34 AM   #1
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
maybe I`m over reacting

So we went camping last month in single digit weather cause we wanted to use the new RD one more time before we put it away for the year. Other than the really crappy brakes (now have disks) I noticed that even with the heat running full blast most of the time the floor was kinda cold and my ankes felt like they were in a cool breeze most of the time. So dawning my SKI socks and foot wear I left it till we got home.
Looking round the camper I could see the problem and they claim this is a all weather unit, yep sticker right on the door says so. Well maybe if the temps stay in a range of 32f to 89f degrees. Looking in the SEA CONTAINER size rear storage compartment you could see the entire floor area for the living room NO INSULATION so this is open to cold or heat all the time. Looking in the 4 side storage areas which is part of the living room floor, NO INSULATION. Looking in the front basement storage area below the bathroom and part of the bedroom you can see the floor above and NO INSULATION. Looking in the front small storage area below the bedroom floor, NO INSULATION. They did put insulation in the front over overhang which insulates part of the bedroom floor and closet so this is where they consider it enough to call it ALL WEATHER (if you sleep in the closet). The kitchen floor seems to be insulated above the belly cover with blanket insulation about 2 inches thick good….. good …...but as we all know heat rises and the kitchen is the lowest point in the unit so it's going to be cold no matter what the heat. Small electric heater did for the most part helped this area. Wife approved.
So this is why my tootsies got cold, if you have no insulation there is nothing for the heat or A/C for that mater to bounce off of and you will eventually get to outside temps on the floor or close to it and we did just ask the wife. I hate it when she puts those PJ's on that have feet and go all the way to the neck, there no fun.
What to do? Insulate. No batt insulation, it would be raining fibers from here to eternity no matter how you sealed it up.
Went to Lowes and bought ½ inch foil faced rigid foam insulation board (foil will reflect heat or A/C in or out) for a base material and Lowes 2 inch thick green insulation board for the bottom material, 3 inch drywall screws and a box of plaster washers., about 6 panels each depending on how many miss cuts you make.

After installing the panels the difference is significant in the camper temperatures in the living room, bath and bedroom and the overall temps in the camper as a whole, it also deadened the interior and exterior noise some what and now the VIZIO 5.1 surround sound system I installed sounds much better. The furnace did not seem to run as much on test day. The kitchen is a lost cause till I take the belly down and double the thickness of the blanket insulation. The little heater will just have to do for now. As you can see in the picture of the front basement I took out the flat panning material and related failure of duct work that fed the bedroom floor register and replaced it with a 4 inch insulated round flex duct from the furnace to a new beveled floor duct, no 90 degree bends or panning dead heads. It doubled the air flow …..pictures follow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0766.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	204.0 KB
ID:	1217   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0768.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	162.4 KB
ID:	1218   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0769.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	210.4 KB
ID:	1219  

F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 06:52 AM   #2
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
We have a 2018.5 3791RD also. I don't recognize the pictured area where the Yamahas are. Where is that?

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 07:10 AM   #3
speedster100
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17566
They aren't really made for living in northern winter conditions, having a week or two of cool weather around the freezing point is not an issue. You have obviously improved the r values and it should make a difference but there are the slide seals and floor areas that you just cant do anything about. Glad you are happy with the improvements, way too effort & money for the return the way we use ours...
We are in Florida now each winter, the fireplace and an electric heater keep the unit toasty warm, the infrared heater is in the kitchen area which keeps that floor warm. The fireplace keeps the living room area warm and the bedroom floor is carpeted so overall it works..... Nice upgrade though....let us know how it holds up after a few thousand miles of road conditions...
speedster100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 07:18 AM   #4
RoadRunnerTR21
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20746
Nice upgrade. Hope it works for you. My DW says we can't go camping if the temp falls below 45F. We are not fans of cold weather. She would like 83F every day. I told her if she could get the rig to Jamaica or Hawaii it would be doable.
RoadRunnerTR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 07:33 AM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Welcome to the world of RV'ing and the world of RV marketing. We do not do cold weather camping.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 08:12 AM   #6
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
Great upgrade lots of work and money but well worth it. I have done some of that also but not to the degree you have. That said I have never experienced very cold weather well except one time it did get down to 39 or so. I grew up on the east cost, after I left for the west cost I vowed never to live in the winter cold, summer heat with humidity and biting bugs, spring slush and slop. Well we did have two weeks of great weather in the fall. Now before you all jump on me I did move out of Ca 10 years ago. I do visit often as my business is there.

And we do visit the east cost in the fall often as DW loves it there. She is a CA native so that explains that.
waynemoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 09:28 AM   #7
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
Looks great!

Mark
Old 02-16-2018, 09:32 AM   #8
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
got it

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeBeFulltime View Post
We have a 2018.5 3791RD also. I don't recognize the pictured area where the Yamahas are. Where is that?
It`s the rear storage area. I took out the sliding tray, found it useless for me cause of all the stuff I wanted to put back there. The tray weighs 208 lbs I put back in 223 lbs worth of stuff (I weight everything that goes in the camper) so I`m only 15lbs behind the axle. the gens add 120 lbs but I keep them in the front storage for traveling. Called Keystone and they said only 200 lbs on tray OR on the rear hitch. I think with a full tank of water it would be to much behind the axle for traveling.
F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 09:35 AM   #9
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
I find a 1/3 to 1/2 tank of water affords a better ride. I know they're all different but it makes a remarkable difference in ours. But I am far from fully loaded.

Mark
Old 02-16-2018, 09:46 AM   #10
BuilderBob
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20475
Great up grade! We camp all year long in the north West and had to do the same thing what they call insulation & what I call insulation are to different things.

Bob & Carol
Washington St
2017 352RL 2008 Dodge 3500 DRW CC LB 4x4 6.7L
BuilderBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 09:55 AM   #11
mjammersc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17609
Nice idea - curious how it helps in warm weather too

mjammersc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 10:25 AM   #12
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
We camp year round, of course it's here in the southeast, but still gets cold for camping. I have the 3790 but without the rear tray, so I will be adding something like this to the rear and belly of mine. I, like you had thought of insulation, not batting, but blown in. This changes things as I will now look at something similar. Thanks ..
Golfmedik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 01:26 PM   #13
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Quote:
Originally Posted by bshgto View Post
It`s the rear storage area. I took out the sliding tray, found it useless for me cause of all the stuff I wanted to put back there. The tray weighs 208 lbs I put back in 223 lbs worth of stuff (I weight everything that goes in the camper) so I`m only 15lbs behind the axle. the gens add 120 lbs but I keep them in the front storage for traveling. Called Keystone and they said only 200 lbs on tray OR on the rear hitch. I think with a full tank of water it would be to much behind the axle for traveling.
Know what you mean about weight. We are full time in ours and when we got it I realized quickly that I had to be careful and not overload that big rear storage. No way though that I'll give up the slider tray back there. My tray has a sticker that states max 800 lbs (evenly distributed).I only put lighter things back there with the heaviest of them on about the front 25% putting them almost over axles.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 03:51 PM   #14
Razrbk
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17829
I'm wintering in Northwest Arkansas and have experienced low of -1 degrees and high of 28 degrees over a period of about ten days (longest sustained period of cold this winter). My unit is skirted and I run a Big Buddy on a 20lb tank when it gets in single to low teens. Also, run 30 pint dehumidifier when needed. I've been very comfortable and enjoy winter camping; however, I avoid getting above the Mason Dixon.
Razrbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 04:00 PM   #15
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I didn’t know it got that cold in Arkansas. That is colder than it gets here in western Va. it’s only been about 10 here this year which is really cold for us.
Lynwood
mlh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 04:22 PM   #16
Razrbk
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17829
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
I didn’t know it got that cold in Arkansas. That is colder than it gets here in western Va. it’s only been about 10 here this year which is really cold for us.
Lynwood
It's been around 30 yrs since its been that cold, here. That first artic blast of the winter was brutal.
Razrbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 06:05 PM   #17
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
I insulated the back of the cabinets as well as the storage areas and yes it does help in the heat as well as the cold. Your job looks very professional, good job!
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 06:17 AM   #18
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Very nice looking improvement! Worth the time and money IMHO.
Old 02-25-2018, 10:54 AM   #19
masterdrago
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20587
Super nice job Brian. Like WeBeFulltime says, tray has 800# max. We love ours - room for bulky low weight "stuff". Joy's Christmas decor which at home fills a 10x10 foot garage closet plus outdoor decor in barn will fill it at Christmas trips. I'm going to run with your insulation ideas. I had no idea there was no insulation under the LR floor or BR/bath. Summertime will be a big deal since we only have 2 a/c units. Many have 3. Thanks for sharing.
Old 02-25-2018, 12:19 PM   #20
tspoon
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8973
ALL WEATHER in Florida!!!
tspoon is offline   Reply With Quote