Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-18-2014, 02:01 AM   #1
gkidsdlite
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12956
Propane supply?

Im planning on being a boondocker and am wondering how much propane you can legally and/or safely transport in your rig? Thanks for any replies!

gkidsdlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 02:27 AM   #2
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
I don't know that there is a max on propane. I guess it would depend on carrying capacity. Many motor homes have 130 pound cylinders, and I saw a toyhaulerwit 4 40 pound tanks
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 02:42 AM   #3
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
Probably the concern about hauling additional propane would be more of where and how you are going to haul it rather than a concern about how much you can haul. Securement of the tanks would be a potential issue as would travel through an area where propane is closely watched such as the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel.

We've seen numerous rigs set up with larger tanks supplied by the local propane company that have given the owners additional propane capacity yet eliminated their need to change out or fill their own tanks.
DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 02:53 AM   #4
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
And remember the tanks must be set up or there is a chance a good chance they will rupture. You darn sure don't won't to experience that. That will have your friends saying. Don't he look natural.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 02:56 AM   #5
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Just some thoughts here ... during the warmer months you'll not use a whole lot of propane anyways. Boondocking in the winter for an extended stay would be really expensive as unless you run a generator to supply electric heat, propane usage would be rather high. Then you would have the tradeoff on gas. Some locals won't let you haul a propane bottle laying down ... legally anyways.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 03:00 AM   #6
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

While not for the trailer I do carry 2 20LB cylinders in the bed of the TV. They are intended for my wife’s locomotive but will work in the trailer if needed. 30 lb cylinders would go in the same place.

Just be careful about where you put them and I don’t recommend standing them up because they are high enough to be contacted by the trailer hitch in a tight turn like back up to do a turnaround in a parking lot or backing into a parking space in one of the older parks that have narrow roads.

The hasmat regulations don’t come into play until you reach the weight of1001 lbs.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 05:27 AM   #7
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
From the Propane safety website:
NEVER store or place a propane cylinder indoors or in an enclosed area such as a basement, garage, shed, or tent. ALWAYS transport and store a cylinder in a secure and upright position so it will not fall, shift, or roll.

ALWAYS close the cylinder valve and, if required, seal with a plug, even if the cylinder is empty. Ask your propane retailer if a plug is required.

NEVER keep a filled cylinder inside a hot vehicle.

ALWAYS place the cylinder in a well-ventilated area of the vehicle.

ALWAYS proceed directly to your destination and immediately remove the cylinder from your vehicle.

The law places limits on the number of cylinders and the amount of propane that can be transported in closed-bodied vehicles such as passenger cars and vans. Ask your propane retailer for more information on state and local codes that apply to you.
Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 06:46 AM   #8
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Besides the two upright 30# cylinders in the Monty, I have been known to carry as many as five 20# cylinders upright in my tool box. The tool box is enclosed, but it locks and prevents them from being stolen. If you know the reasons for many of these "rules" then you can successfully modify them to suit your needs. For example, I store my cylinders in the tool box, because they don't stay there for very long. If it's summer then I carry them in the open truck bed with a locking cable. It's rare but I have been known to drive with my rig's propane bottles open to suppy fuel for my refrigerator. But then, I turn off the propane AND the devices when refueling (again, this has been rare) or gonna enter a long tunnel. In these cases, it's not the open propane that is a concern, it's the sparking from the devices trying to light themselves when they are on (a fridge, furnace, even a water heater). There are tanks that store upright and some that store on their side. You must know what's appropriate for your respective tanks.

I don't believe I carry so much propane that I should be concerned about a limit and they are all upright tanks. It's more about the condition of the tanks which are checked by the attendants refilling them. I've had one 30# bottle completely fail so it couldn't be refilled (replaced by the dealer under warranty), and another 20# that was difficult but the attendant whacked it a couple of times with a rubber mallet and then it worked. No problems since then either. These bottles do have expiration dates and a properly trained attendant will check this. I go to a welding shop for refilling and the attendants are very good at checking these things.

The best answer is to check with the state or province you plan to boondock. This might be one of those things thas is controlled from state to state or province to province.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 04:00 PM   #9
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

First how would any agency enforce a rule, regulation or law requiring propane cylinders to be carried upright.

I have cylinders that are used lying on their side, I have cylinders that are used sitting upright and then I have cylinders that are used in either direction on their side or upright the gauges on these are marked as too which set of makings you use when the cylinder is on its side or on its end.

So I carry my spare cylinders in the bed of the pickup on their side with a strap over them so they won’t roll around and I don’t exceed the 1001 lb. limit imposed by the federal regulations.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote