Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-14-2006, 05:14 AM   #1
jrjones
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4858
Allison Problem

I have an 05 Powerstroke with an Torque shift trans. It has 14500 on it and I got it with 150 miles on it. Towed my Montana about 2800 miles with it. All the rest has been intown or Hiway.
Lately I noticed the shift between 2nd and 3rd and 3rd and 4th felt like it was slipping a little. When under load it shifts ok.
Sooo I took it to the Ford dealer and gave them the info, Got a call yesterday and they said there is an internal problem and they are going to pull it today and see what is up.
Hope its not anything major.
Its on warranty and I have had no complaints about the truck.
Just thought I would share with ya'll.

jrjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 10:25 AM   #2
gitrdun
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4075
You don't have an allison transmission in a powerstroke.
gitrdun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 10:59 AM   #3
G McCall
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5206
jr
I have never heard of a Powerstroke having an Allison.
( Ah the "Ferds" should be so lucky as to have an Allison )

However, good luck with the fix.

FTR, I have had my Allison rebuilt to hold up under heavier loads. Something to think about, but then my truck is out of warranty.

G McCall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 11:34 AM   #4
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
In an 05 Ford you have a Torque Shift Transmission built by Ford and so far it has a pretty good reputation, much better than the 6.0 PSD. Sorry to hear you had a problem with it and I hope Ford makes it right for you.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 11:57 AM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
jrjones, be sure to let us know what you find out.

Yours is the TorqShift transmission built by Ford. It has proven to be bulletproof, and, according to the one article I read that mentioned transmission comparison in a tow test the TorqShift is the smartest about when to shift, both up and down grade, runs cooler, and shifts smoother than anything else on the market. Others may disagree but that's what the article said and it's the only one I've seen that mentions transmission comparison. We put 51k miles on our 2003 F350 and 55k on this one with many of those miles being at a total weight just under 23,000 and it has performed flawlessly. I had the oil changed at 33,000 miles and will do it again in about 10k from now. That's all I've done to it. It is built to handle loads up to 26,500 lbs (in the F350 tow boss), maybe more, so I see no need to do anything other than to leave it in pure stock form.

Yours is the first I've heard of with a problem so I'm curious to know what caused the problem. Would appreciate if you'd report back when you find out.

Thanks.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 01:02 PM   #6
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
Your Torque shift transmission is a good tranny, but one article doesn't diminish the quality of an Allison Transmission!
RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 07:13 PM   #7
jrjones
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4858
Your right my mitake . I do wish it did.
Old 06-15-2006, 07:40 PM   #8
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Don,
I hope the truck is fixed and back on the road soon.

Sounds like we could sit here an argue the Allison vs. TorqShift for the rest of our lives. Im a GM guy, so the Duramax/Allison works best for me, you talk to a Ford guy and he will say the Powerstroke/TorqShift works best for him. I say good for him (as long as there is a Montana rv behind him) then the both of us have the best of both worlds.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 04:10 AM   #9
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I might qualify that statement to read 7.3 L Powerstroke/TorqShift for Ford. I believe Ford erred when they "upgraded" from the 7.3 to the 6.0. I think many are happy with their 6.0, but I think that if you take a poll of Ford owners who have had BOTH the 7.3 and the newer 6.0, they will tell you that they wish Ford wouldn't have done that... JMHO.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 05:41 AM   #10
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
Dsprik, I can't agree with your statement.....I've had both the 7.3 (2001) and 6.0.(2006). The 6.0 I have now is far more improved with HP, dirve-ability and coupled with the torque shift trans, new front-end suspension and shorter turning radius, it's a great TV. I'm certain that there have been some problems with the 6.0 but that's been true with all manufactures diesels especially on a first years new engine. Ford has stepped up to the plate and fixed any issues. I don't want to get into vehicle comparison but your comment is purely conjecture on your part as you have not had both vehicles.
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 05:45 AM   #11
jrjones
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4858
Well got my truck back yesterday and the problem with the tranny was over drive and direct frictions were cooked. They said it could have been pressure failer or something like that. They also stressed that no matter how much milage I get do not pull an 11000lbs fifthwheel unless transmission is in Tow/haul mode. I am guilty of this when on I5 But in town and on hwys I always used T/H. Mechanic said it is one of the best transmissions made and mine is not a common problem. He said it is hard to diagnose what caused it because when they got it the failer had happened.
He said use T/H and keep tranny serviced and should never happen again. Warrenty bill dealer itemized to Ford was $2028.91 Glad it is on warranty.
Old 06-16-2006, 06:41 AM   #12
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
JRJones,

That’s pretty much what I learned when I bought my 6.0 2005, after once cooking some discs in the 2002 7.3 by always keeping it in OD while leaving Alaska.

I bought the truck used, so there was no diesel-savvy salesman around. I only wanted it because from literally all I’d read, diesels tend to last longer than gassers, and they have plenty of power for towing. I had no actual idea about the intricacies of a diesel, and even less on how the transmission worked, other than IT WORKED!

I figured that all was well when in OD, because when it needed more power, the transmission would downshift until the need passed. I was happy as a clam, being able to run at highway speeds, without getting too near the 3K Red Line the engine had.

Then came the breakdown in the middle of nowhere. The Ford dealer that repaired it, (also under warranty, thankfully,) told me about what had happened. He said something along the lines of that when in OD, the torque converter is locked. That limits the amount of fluid passing through the transmission. That would limit the amount going to the added cooler. And that caused the discs to burn.

When I left there, he told me not to use OD until I hit Kansas.

Even though I had heard about the Tow/Haul feature that Ford started in I think the 2004 models, I didn’t know how it was so different than the OD, aside from it having something different about how it went downhill.

When going shopping for the 2005, I asked, and learned about the Tow/Haul feature, and made up my mind at that point to use it each time I hook up. I have no idea whether I’m losing fuel mileage because of it. (Does anyone know?) I just know that it works, and it’s helped me stay away from stepping in to downshift, or use my brakes as much as I would have. (I already had a nasty flaming brakes episode with a Class-C rental, years ago. And I’d be paying for anything like that on my own truck. )

I’m sure there are more things about the truck that I still don’t get. (One, thankfully, is the noise. Even though it’s purported to be less noisy than the 7.3, since I’m partially deaf, as long as I don’t put my hearing aids in, all diesels are purring kittens.) But I’m sure that I feel better in Tow/Haul than I would, (especially after my experience,) in plain OD. And it seems my TV is happy about it, as well.

I’ve seen loads of diesel forums and other places where the old 7.3 devotees ran down the new 6.0 from the get go. Since I didn’t know enough about the differences, I never said much. I did learn over time that some accusations were baseless. (Like the one that claimed the 6.0 was “untested,” for instance.) But I do know that the power and torque figures seem to be what my Monty needs. (Which, as a matter of fact, the old 7.3's were as well.) And the 2005’s weight figures are what I needed. Plus, with it being a newer truck, with newer features, I am simply happier with it in my own mind.

Gee. Now I hope no one pops in to say that this TV discussion thread’s become “negative,” again, and simply kills the thread in apparent hopes that everyone stops expressing themselves. An exchange of experiences and opinions based on those experiences can hardly be negative. Especially in a venue designed for it. But that hasn’t stopped some.

Steve

Montana_1240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 06:53 AM   #13
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
JR, and Gyro I saw absolutely nothing negative about your posts. I have a dura/Allison Chevy, and love it. The new PSD Fords are great vehicles also. I found your post informative and entertaining. I sometimes find myself forgetting to put my tranny into Tow/Haul mode, and my dear wife lets me know immediately. The new fords are still a little loud, and the Chevy's are almost as loud. I don't understand the reason for that, as Mercedes Benz builds one of the quietest diesels around and puts out a ton of power while doing it, so does VW. Anyone have anyh ideas on that?
rickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 07:36 AM   #14
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
Rick,

I am glad you pointed it out. And that you specified which posts you referred to. I specifically made my post all about my own experiences, (even as it was in response to JRJone's specific post,) while even admitting that I don’t know everything. I didn’t dare broach the subject of other TV brands, because I personally know next to nothing about them.

But all too often, it’s been evident that some folks simply seem to take exception to SOMETHING, that SOMEONE’s said, and just blurt out that a thread’s “become negative.” The big problem in such claims, however, is that there is no connection to any particular post(s), or, (worse,) even any particular reasoning behind the claim.

And that tends to kill a thread.

I, (speaking strictly for myself,) will point out when a particular poster says something that raises a question. And unless that’s done, all but the cryptic accuser in such a situation can quite easily be made to feel that perhaps THEY were the “offender.” And that gloomy anxiety can tend to make some folks stop posting, even if a topic had been “hot” up to that point, with many more ideas still left to exchange, and the varied opinions enlightening.

As always, all threads will eventually wind down and simply stop being active. Such is the nature of an idea exchange between a finite number of posters. Killing one before its time, though, tends to make the subject peek out again and again, elsewhere. Where, sometimes, the whole process commences, once more. I’m glad that not all folks can remain silent when they have something to comment on about a subject. But there can be no telling how many do stay silent, or simply go away, for fear that expressing themselves will lead them to feel guilty of a “crime” that probably never truly happened.

I share the same question about how Mercedes Benz and VW can be so relatively silent, when so many of our TVs are said to be so loud. (I wouldn’t know, of course, because I’m about deaf.) But it would be wonderful to find out what keeps our TVs from getting the “Mercedes Treatment!”

Steve

Old 06-16-2006, 11:47 AM   #15
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by steves

Dsprik, I can't agree with your statement.....I've had both the 7.3 (2001) and 6.0.(2006). The 6.0 I have now is far more improved with HP, dirve-ability and coupled with the torque shift trans, new front-end suspension and shorter turning radius, it's a great TV. I'm certain that there have been some problems with the 6.0 but that's been true with all manufactures diesels especially on a first years new engine. Ford has stepped up to the plate and fixed any issues. I don't want to get into vehicle comparison but your comment is purely conjecture on your part as you have not had both vehicles.
It is strictly conjecture, Steve ("JMHO" means "Conjecture"). I have driven both and I have many family and friends that have had both - I am just going by the input I had. I have not owned, nor driven the 2006 6.0 L. I am glad to hear that you are satisfied with it.

Didn't mean to start an "intramural" war between Ford diesels/years.

I truly am sorry if I offended you, though, Steve. It surely was not my intent, and I withdraw the comment.

I have been wrong before... I am married, you know...
Old 06-16-2006, 12:24 PM   #16
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
See how easy it is for a thread that's actually discussing something can be made to appear as though it’s devolved into a fracas. I mentioned just that problem earlier.

Here comes the poster who feels he was more or less accused of stepping on toes, and cordially explains what he said, originally, to clarify it.

I know no one needs this, but I just gotta say that’s a classy smooth over. Dave, your initial post was clearly your opinion. (I’ve seen just that said on Ford forums.) It said that you didn’t own a Ford. I’m guessing that other browsers, who haven’t posted after it, may have made the same misread. We can’t be sure.

But…IMHO…You shouldn’t have gone so far as to withdraw the statement. Doing so could be perceived as though your opinion’s changed, (or it's not worth anything,) or there IS some sort of “intramural war” going on over it, just because someone forgot to note the “JMHO” in the post. I can’t see how that would be reasonable to expect. You feel what you feel, based on what you know, and that’s what you posted. It was clear in the post.

I also hope that Steve hadn’t taken any offense over it. Truth be told, his post didn't really show much upset. He was just giving you the benefit of his Ford experience. It was just HIS opinion. I hope that he replies to say so. God help us if someone pops in to claim the thread’s “gone negative” because of two opinions having to wait for the period of time the Internet causes between posts to cross in people’s minds and get clarified. And I do hope that we don’t have to undergo some sort of group hug over a simple oversight.

One can visit a Ford diesel forum and find the two engine size groups at it, tooth and nail. You will also hear them speaking ill of Chevy, Dodge, and GMC. And if you visit a GMC site, you will hear bad things about Ford, Chevy, and Dodge. Each site with subgroups hyping whatever feature on their rigs they thing outshines the others. Same for the rest of the brands.

We can see varying opinions about models of Monties, here. Same goes for just about everything in the world that offers us a choice. If we all had to back down from our reasonable opinions for fear of upsetting someone with the fact that there are other opinions, there’d be no forums, at all. No discussions. No communication. And little if any thought.

Life would be truly dull.

Vive La Difference!

Steve
Old 06-16-2006, 01:44 PM   #17
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
Everyone need to get a subscription to Diesel Power Magazine. It has a lot of answers to some of the tranny questions. They do not favor one truck over another, just a lot of hard facts. Lots of info on makeing your tranny tow proof. If your tranny is apart what to upgrade from the stock basics.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 02:48 PM   #18
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
I was not offended but felt I should pass on my experience based on owning and towing with both the 7.3 and 6.0. I certainly don't want this post to go negative so please don't take offense to my reply. I was simply presenting my views based on actual use of these TVs.
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 02:51 PM   #19
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
Steve,

Thought so!

Glad you came back.

I've had both a 7.3 and a 6.0, too. And hear both sides, depending on who you ask, and what they've been through with either.

Steve
Old 06-16-2006, 03:48 PM   #20
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
No offense taken here, Steve. I know you don't hate me.

I am curious as to the 2007 PowerStrokes, though. Has anyone gotten any specs on the liter displacement, changes to the trans, name changes???, etc?

I would think some of the "spy" info should start to surface shortly, if it hasn't already? Am I off topic?