Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Boon-docking
Click Here to Login

Old 02-28-2009, 07:16 AM   #1
JMG
Established Member

M.O.C. #8888
How to connect inverter

I just bought a Black& Decker 750w inverter. How and where do you run the wires to connect it to the battery?
jmg

JMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 02:50 AM   #2
WorkerB
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8202
JMG,
Lots of folks have inverters and most have configured their system to suit their particular need. Few are willing to TELL you how you should hook up your electrical stuff or modify your Monty's factory setup. That's because nobody wants to see you get hurt or worse. If you are not qualified get someone to help that is. I can share a couple of installations that I have seen. Concerning DC Voltage. The further you get away from the batteries the larger the wire size needs to be. Copper is heavy and expensive. That is why people usually install the inverter as close as is safely possible to the battery plant. Good solid connections like crimped on ring connectors firmly attached are better than alligator clips. Concerning AC Voltage. Your stick house is hauling AC voltage all over using 14 gage wire. I have seen people buy a 12 gage (Larger than 14 gage) extension cord and use it to haul the electricity from the inverter to wherever the power is needed. Some Ty-rap the cord to the frame, some put the cord in a conduit and Ty-rap it to the frame. Some hide the cord or conduit and cord in the under belly. I have even seen people connect the cord directly the umbilical cord energizing ALL the outlets in the trailer. They shut off the converter/battery charger to make this application work. I need to say that I am not advising you to do any of these (Disclaimer) but it is something you can share with your electrician. Hopefully together you can come up with a plan that will fit your needs. Hope this helps, John
WorkerB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 08:38 AM   #3
boat391
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5756
my inverter is located in the basement right behind the batt box double ott wire connected to the batts then hard wired to the inside circut panel via romex wire it wasn't easy to fish through but it is possible to do we have it hard wired to the circuts that control the TV and the desk beside the TV also to the Micro although we haven't had the need to use it with the micro yet we bought a big inverter and are very happy with the results I wanted to this job only once so if this helps good luck
boat391 is offline   Reply With Quote