Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-03-2019, 09:25 AM   #1
Ahdmeyer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24181
invertor generator

i am looking at getting a invertor generator for our 3931fb we got a few months ago. I looked at getting a onan propane but not sure of the cost of it for the times i would use it. certainly the convenience of the onan would be nice. most of the time we have shore power but when stopping for lunch at a rest area to use the micro wave would be nice. also thinking of going to quartzsite and for sure then will need something. going to do trial run to see how long i can go on the batteries at nite to see if i can go long enough during the quiet time. here is one of them i am looking at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...k_ql_qh_dp_hza

any thoughts on any of this would be appreciated
thx al meyer

Ahdmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 09:41 AM   #2
Last2Die
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22986
Morning, I run 3 HF 3500 predators, using there parallel kit and both of them run the entire coach no problem. Not sure of your needs but I did post on a sale going on at Sams club if an inverter generator, not sure if they can be used in parallel you would need to look into it but the price is sure right.

http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ad.php?t=79598

these are the inverter/generators I run.

https://www.harborfreight.com/3500-W...tor-63584.html

I guess it all depends on your needs/wants. The onboard is better for convenience, I prefer the mobility of using them anywhere I need, in times of emergency. I can post a pic if you would like to see them in the back of my truck, I never take them out, they live there under a cover.

Tony
2018 3920fb 2020 GMC Denali 3500 4x4 Duramax, 10 speed Allison. LB SRW, Firestone air bags with Airlift wireless onboard compressor. Anderson Ultimate Hitch. MX4 folding cover. 50gal titan in bed transfer tank. Onan 6500 lp genset installed by me ! Had: 2 HF 3500 Inverters with Parallel Kit
Last2Die is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 12:25 PM   #3
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
It looks like a good generator. You can buy a Honda of know quality and durability for $600 more or a Harbor Freight for $450 less. Both are made in China and may be made in the same factory with different outside plastic covers. They look different but are they????
Lynwood
mlh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 05:40 PM   #4
Ahdmeyer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24181
thx for the replies, tony when you use your generators do you hook up with the shore power cord? I had mine prepped for a generator so I could either use the shore power cord or install another 30 amp outlet and use the gen setup I believe. also I am looking at the generac 3000 to. not sure which way to go either 1 3000 for now and then another later used in parallel maybe. the 3300 only weighs so they say 59lb a lot less than the 3500. if I did use 2 I would also get more watts
al
Old 11-03-2019, 11:36 PM   #5
Last2Die
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22986
Yes I hook up with the shore power cord. I travel with the 50amp extension cord in the bed when we stop I take out the extension and unwind the power cord to make up the difference. Would be easier if I had a transfer switch and another 50amp plug in the front.

I have 2 in the back of my truck my post said 3,ugh lol. The HF 3500 weighs 98 lbs, but I never take them out of the truck. They are locked in and under a locking cover when not towing. For the price of them they made sense to me but your needs may be different. I wanted to run everything and not worry aside from the washer and dryer...
2018 3920fb 2020 GMC Denali 3500 4x4 Duramax, 10 speed Allison. LB SRW, Firestone air bags with Airlift wireless onboard compressor. Anderson Ultimate Hitch. MX4 folding cover. 50gal titan in bed transfer tank. Onan 6500 lp genset installed by me ! Had: 2 HF 3500 Inverters with Parallel Kit
Last2Die is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 04:52 AM   #6
BiigDaddy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18932
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
It looks like a good generator. You can buy a Honda of know quality and durability for $600 more or a Harbor Freight for $450 less. Both are made in China and may be made in the same factory with different outside plastic covers. They look different but are they????
Lynwood
MLH,

I have the Harbor Freight 3500 Predator also, and I have over 50 hours on it. I have used it in all kinds of conditions and loads, and to date it has been flawless! I also purchased the three year replacement warranty, to which the store manager told me to wait until the three years are almost up and bring it back for a new one. He also said if they were to come out with a new larger model, the warranty allows me to trade in and trade up to the bigger model. All said and done, I'm highly recommending the HF 3500!
BiigDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 10:24 AM   #7
Ahdmeyer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24181
well ended up going a little different route. I bought this generac. it is less wattage but a lot lighter. i dont think i can wrestle the 3500 very well anymore. i AM going to see what this will handle when i get it and go from there. i can get another one just like it and parallel them and by the numbers i should be fine. thx for all the replies that everyone sent in. i appreciate them all. this one has a 30 amp outlet on the front which i can either use the shore power cord or i will install another outlet that is generator ready up front. i think the weight of it, 59 lbs is going to be easier on me. when i get it i will let everyone know what will handle single and go from there. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
thx al
Old 11-06-2019, 03:11 PM   #8
Mel B.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahdmeyer View Post
well ended up going a little different route. I bought this generac. it is less wattage but a lot lighter. i dont think i can wrestle the 3500 very well anymore. i AM going to see what this will handle when i get it and go from there. i can get another one just like it and parallel them and by the numbers i should be fine. thx for all the replies that everyone sent in. i appreciate them all. this one has a 30 amp outlet on the front which i can either use the shore power cord or i will install another outlet that is generator ready up front. i think the weight of it, 59 lbs is going to be easier on me. when i get it i will let everyone know what will handle single and go from there. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
thx al
Seems a little low on the running watts?? I hope it works out for you. I understand going with a lighter weight though. I just bought my second Champion 3500 it's over 100 lbs. but it has wheels and a handle so I only have to lift it in or out of the truck and then I can roll it where it needs to go. I love the Remote start/stop, I have about 170 hours on my first one and it still runs like new, being able to run on Gasoline or Propane is nice option also. We are able to run the A/C, TV, satellite and lights when running on gasoline, but if I run it on propane it drops down to 2800 running watts and it's a noticeable difference. We're in northern Ca. and with all the wildfires, PG&E has been having planned power outages, the first outage didn't affect us. So when they made an announcement that they were having another outage for over a week, we took our Champion to my wife's 75 year old Aunt. She lost her husband a few months ago. Well when we got to her house it was 62 degrees in her living room, she had no heat no lights, she has a small wood stove but her husband of 48 years always handled it. Well when I hooked up the Champion she was in heaven. She has a really nice kerosine heater that heats her 900 square foot house really well but it uses 110v for igniter. I don't have the heart to take it back so I just ordered us a new one. If it wasn't for the remote start she wouldn't be able to operate it. Sorry a little long and off track.