Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > TIRES, Montana Tires
Click Here to Login

Old 01-27-2014, 01:48 AM   #1
akf15e
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9143
Tire ordeal and damage repair almost done

I am happy to report that my ongoing ordeal with tire failures and damage to my 3400 is almost over (for now!). I just wanted to thank those who made inputs and suggestions to me. For those interested in the story:

We bought our rig in March 2009. In 2010, after noticing sidewall bubbles on 2 tires, I replaced all 4 Marathons with BFG Commercial TA tires. Unfortunately, I bought 4 from right in the middle of a lot that would eventually be recalled. In the interim, the shop that sold the tires closed and I never received recall notification of the potential for tread separation. Had I been a more frequent MOC poster/lurker, some of you would have saved me the pain that followed (lesson learned the hard way!)

On Labor Day 2013 the first BFG let loose on Interstate 40, causing $2200 in damage. Progressive was awesome in quickly covering the damages (less my $250 ded)and letting me pick the body shop of my choice, who did a fantastic repair. Meanwhile, I took the tire remnant to the local Michelin/BFG dealer, who said the tire was in such poor condition that here was no way they could send it in for analysis, so I couldn't claim anything. He also had no knowledge of a recall at that time either. I spent the $200 for a new tire out of pocket.

The weekend before our annual Thanksgiving trip, I picked up Monty from the shop, pulled out onto the highway and within 5 minutes...boom! A tire on the other side tossed its tread. I am not making this up - right out of the body shop and I have another $1000 in damages. Light bulb goes off! Something is up with my tires!

So I turn to where else? This forum of of course! I got my question answered within minutes, including a link to the recall website and was off and running. So as of yesterday, Michelin had agreed to pay for the new repairs, plus the $200 I paid out of pocket for a new tire, and of course new tires for the rig. I am still out my $250 deductible, but since that was an insurance claim, Progressive has to pursue reimbursement for their part from Michelin. I have provided them all the paperwork and info and they are pursuing it now.

So I should have my Monty back in a few weeks and ready for all of the waiting lists of things to do (fix the black tank t-handle, fix leak at outside shower, fix slide/l. gear rocker switch electrical issue, replace TV antenna crank, etc, etc). We missed winter camping, which we always enjoy, but given the harsh temps this year, it's no big deal.

A couple of anecdotal/IMO things to offer to the great tire debate:
My first thoughts were "these LT tires are NOT the way to go". Well, the Marathons HAD to come off for the bubbles. In addition, I had a Marathon failure on my previous rig which did significant damage, so I had zero faith in those tires. Plus, the obvious bad luck of choosing 4 tires from a recalled batch must be considered. But 2 comments (absolutely anecdotal I realize) from 2 professionals I dealt with made me realize I am better off with the LTs (or 614s or similar). The local tire dealer, in business for decades, told me he had NEVER seen a BFG Comm TA come apart like that and he had seen them overloaded, under-inflated, over-inflated, unevenly worn, unbalanced, and even dry rotting. He said a road hazard is the only way to kill one, and then only maybe. And the RV repair guy, also in business for years and years told me that the OEM ST tires (he wouldn't/couldn't specify a brand) keep him in business repairing body damage! 'Nuff said...I will be confident once again with what is under the rig behind me (though probably stealing lots of glances in the mirror for a while.

Again, thanks to those who offered advice or PM'd me info. Much appreciated!

akf15e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 01:51 AM   #2
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Glad to hear you are happy with your tire decision.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 04:25 AM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Glad to hear you finally have an ending to a long and frustrating winter. May you and the Monty go on to make many happy memories together.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 12:47 PM   #4
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Going to LT was a smart move.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 04:02 PM   #5
grayghost03
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12028
Send a message via MSN to grayghost03
And continuing to glance in the rear view mirror and a possibly an TST tire monitor system for peace of mind doesn't hurt.
grayghost03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 05:43 PM   #6
MDL
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13959
After my 4 blowouts in 1.5 years, I wouldn't be without a TPMS! One of the better investments I've made.
MDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 12:57 AM   #7
akf15e
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9143
Grayghost and MDL - thanks for the suggestion. I keep going back and forth on the TPMS. I have had 4 tread separations on my 2 Montanas since 2005. The damage done to my rig was instantaneous in all 4 cases and the tire even held pressure 3 of the times. A TPMS would not have alerted me any of the times. I have (knock on wood) never had a tire lose air/go flat in 19 years of towing campers. However, I am considering it mainly for some peace of mind and to be able to monitor my inside dually tires, which are the ones that really worry me since I can't see them. Since DW and I area about to start some long timing I will probably begin to look into it. Thanks again.
akf15e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 10:06 AM   #8
RRman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7196
My BFG Commercial T/A saga was similar, albeit I was aware of the recall, so my newest BFG was replaced with a Michelin LTX under the recall. Just a few months later I had my two older 0909 BFG tires fail within a month of each other. First one had a sidewall delamination, but held air /remained inflated until after I got to a Tire Shop. Second one blew up/tread delamination. I filed a claim with BFG as my damage was cosmetic or repairable myself, so I didn't want to claim on my insurance (repair estimate less than $1K)as I claimed a roof repair a few years ago. BFG refused my claim, said tire lost air. Hmmm, one hour out of the campground where I had checked all tire pressures, and it was the rear drivers side trailer tire behind my dually....
I regret all the old advice about BFG Commercial T/A tires being decent tires was wrong and "mislead" me.
RRman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 05:54 PM   #9
MDL
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13959
Butch, My 4 blowouts were probably my fault for going too fast on hot days, but one was right off of a freeway off ramp and I wouldn't have known until we were down the road a bit, probably with more damage. The others were all while driving freeway speeds on back roads, but the alert saved me from significant damage as I was able to pull over right way...prior to most of the sidewall falling apart. In each case the tire completely failed, but a 10% loss of pressure will also trigger the alarm (need to check as there are two alarms based on percentage of loss). In sort, you don't need to lose all the air for the alarm to sound. In my case, it's just piece of mind. Two of those blowouts I heard, 2 I heard nothing. I only had the alarm for one of those, so it did save me from certain damage. Either way, best of luck in your selection. I think based on what I heard from others, I might go with the TST system next time due to the temp readouts.
MDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 04:43 AM   #10
mach111
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13142
Let me second the yes to your tire decision. Hopefully tire issues are behind you. I will say a TPMS system is worth the $$$$$$$$$$$$$ I will not travel w/o my TST 507. Being able to see tire temps is a peace of mind for me. Being w/o this forum I could not have made a better tire decision.

Happy Motoring to you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
mach111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 05:38 AM   #11
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by RRman

I regret all the old advice about BFG Commercial T/A tires being decent tires was wrong and "mislead" me.
Sorry you felt like you were mislead but many of us have had good success with the BFG tires. If I quit using every product that a person had a problem with, well, I wouldn't have any products to use. Jim