Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-20-2011, 05:11 AM   #1
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
Cracked Rims--Tredit Comes Through!

Last Friday, as we prepared to leave the Matagorda Nature Center RV Park in Matagorda, Texas (on the coast), we discovered we had 3 cracked wheels on our rig. One was badly cracked; the other two had the beginnings of fairly extensive cracking. We always check our tires and wheels when we stop for fuel (especially after reading all the cracked rim/blowout posts on the forum), so we know everything was fine at the last stop prior to arriving at the campground.

There we were, on a Friday afternoon at 3:15, thirty miles from a tire center and without internet access at the campground, facing a big problem. I called Keystone, who told me that Tireco provided the OEM rims on our 2007 3585SA rig. Not so--after a call to Tireco (and after sending them several camera phone photos of the rims, and then another call to Keystone, we learned that we had Tredit rims. By that time it was 4:00.

Tredit couldn't have been better to work with. I sent the camera phone photos of the rims to Tredit, and within 15 minutes I was told that 3 new rims would be on the way before 5:00 PM, with UPS overnight shipping, at Tredit's expense. We had to buy the 4th rim so that the wheels would match, because the rims that came on our rig are no longer available. Sure enough, the rims arrived Monday morning. (We did wonder why we had to buy that 4th rim, since those rims have had a dismal track record judging by what we've read about cracking rims on the MOC forum. However, we were so glad to get such quick service from Tredit, we didn't argue the point.)

Wouldn't it be nice if every company operated the way Tredit handled our problem? Of course, it would have been even better had the rims not cracked, but we were fortunate that discovered the cracks before we pulled out of the campground.

Carolyn

Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 05:38 AM   #2
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Wow! It is a good thing you saw that before leaving. I would hate to think of what could have happened if they separated from the bolt hub. I sure do not think you should have had to pay for the fourth rim either, but at least you are back on the road safely. Happy travels.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 05:42 AM   #3
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Great to hear the responce from Tredit wheels. We had to replace our Tredit Wheels on our Cambridge 358L while in Mission Texas. But Keystone stepped up and refunded our money. The only issue was we had to return the 4 Tredit wheels. We replaced ours with Alcoa Aluminum wheels.. Many of the Cambridge owners also had to replace the Tredit wheels. I must say thats why to this very day I have a lot of respect for Keystone. And when I read negative comments form people who own Keystone products I always take it with a grain of salt. Keystone does stand behind their product.. Good Job Keystone.
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 04:28 PM   #4
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Carolyn,thank God you noticed those cracked rims. If you don't mind,could you tell us how much they charged you for that fourth rim? I'm thinking about replacing all four of my rims.
Thanks,Jack
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 12:14 AM   #5
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

Glad they came through for you guys! I’m wondering if we may have the same rims; sent you a PM.

Old 07-21-2011, 08:35 AM   #6
jackel1959
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2471
Wayne and Carolyn,
I think those are the worst cracks I have seen pictures of on the forum. As others have said, I hate to think what could have happened if you hadn't noticed it. Do you happen to know how many miles you had on the rims? Ours had a little over 15K when I noticed a crack. Tredit is a great company to deal with, but I am assuming they were taking it in the shorts on having to replace rims 4 at a time when one or two of the TR6 style failed and that is why they now charge to make a complete set of 4.

R,
Jack
Old 07-21-2011, 05:42 PM   #7
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
We had approximately 7,000 miles on those rims. Because we're positive they were fine in Fort Worth, we know they cracked between Fort Worth and Matagorda (a drive of 329 miles).

Carolyn
Old 07-22-2011, 04:32 AM   #8
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Wayne and Carolyn our Cambridge had about 10,000 miles when the rims started cracking. We were told by other Cambridge owners to start watching at around 10,000 well it was true around 10,000 miles they started cracking.. Our weight on the Cambridge was under the carring weight. I do believe the suspension was to light for our Cambridge, the Cambridge was heavy... Thanks to Keystone they took care of our situtation. Happy Trails....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 02:29 PM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Wow, those cracks are nasty! Sure glad you two are ok and caught it before they caused damage or an accident.

What year is your Montana? From the pictures, those are TR6 aluminum rims, just like ours, right? The only crack we've had in a rim so far was because of a blowout. But now I'm going to check them even closer.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 05:27 PM   #10
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
We have a 2007 3585SA, manufactured in April of 2007. Yes, those are nasty cracks. We are so fortunate that we discovered them before we pulled out of our campsite. I doubt that we would have made it very far down the road if we hadn't.

Carolyn
Old 07-26-2011, 02:53 PM   #11
Sheepdog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10354
I've said it before and I'll say it again. The Tredit wheels are cast AL made in China. I wouldn't spend good money on them. Alcoa wheels are forged and made in the USA. They are a little expensive, but you get what you pay for.
Sheepdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 05:13 PM   #12
jackel1959
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2471
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Sheepdog

I've said it before and I'll say it again. The Tredit wheels are cast AL made in China. I wouldn't spend good money on them. Alcoa wheels are forged and made in the USA. They are a little expensive, but you get what you pay for.
True, true, but still the wheels manufactured by Tredit ARE warranted for life. Unfortunately, the TR6 wheels were manufactured specifically for Keystone and are now discontinued and no longer available. That is the real problem. I guess only time will tell if the replacements are a good wheel or not.

Jack