Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 02-16-2011, 02:53 PM   #1
FLtravelers
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11152
Cracked wheel

Had my Montana 3400RL in a trailer shop to look at tire wear / bent axle problem. (Another issue.) They noticed that one of my wheels had a crack that went all the way through one spoke and was beginning on the next spoke.

We move around alot, and stay in National & State Parks so the wheels get pretty tourqued backing into those tight spaces. That's the only thing I can think of for the cracked rim. There's no sign that the wheel hit anything.

Valdosta, GA Montana dealer said I had to buy the tire with the rim for $600. Keystone gave me a number for a guy up there. He said $300 for just the rim. Better, but still outrageous for a rim. I tried a dozen RV salvage places, but no wrecked Montana's.

I don't see on this forum where this has been a problem. If it is a problem, for that kind of money I can almost buy four new steel rims.

Any thoughts?

FLtravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 03:06 PM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I had the same problem with my 07 and the TR6 rims. Here is my post on that issue.
I suggest you contact the Keystone customer service center first. If no results then contact Elkhart Tredit direct. They should take care of you. Note: I was told they no longer make the TR6 rim, yours so they should replace with four new ones.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 03:17 PM   #3
FLtravelers
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11152
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by H. John Kohl

I had the same problem with my 07 and the TR6 rims. Here is my post on that issue.
I suggest you contact the Keystone customer service center first. If no results then contact Elkhart Tredit direct. They should take care of you. Note: I was told they no longer make the TR6 rim, yours so they should replace with four new ones.
Very interesting. I contacted Keystone today, but must have taken the wrong approach. I simply asked how I could get a replacement for a cracked wheel. She gave me the number of Billy @ Charger, who I could buy it from for $300. He emailed me a picture of it. I also contacted Tredit per Suncoast RV's suggestion. They just said they didn't make them anymore. Do you know how long they warranty these?
Old 02-17-2011, 01:18 AM   #4
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
We had a rim replaced last year on our Big Sky.. I believe Tredit said that we were within the two year warranty.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 01:58 AM   #5
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
These aluminum trailer wheels seem to be very poor quality castings and or material. Steel wheels may not be as pretty but did you ever here of one that cracked? Pretty is as pretty does. I will bet they have China wrote on them. Get your self a set of steel wheels. Problem solved.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 02:55 AM   #6
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
MLH,
I had a steel wheel rim break at the weld. Twice on my 2001 Montana.
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 03:31 AM   #7
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Thanks I never herd of a steel wheel breaking. Has any body else had this problem?
:ynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 06:14 AM   #8
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
We have had two aluminum wheels crack near the valve stem (spider like cracks) and one that cracked like the one shown by the poster. Ours are only 6-lug wheels and I figured that being overloaded a little may have had something to do with the one that cracked. I've replaced them with steel wheels. I have two aluminum on the curbside and two steel wheels on the driver's side. When the two aluminum wheels go, I will replace them with steel wheels. Only problem is I can't find matching steel wheels when I need them. But so what, they go hold the tires and go round and round like the aluminum wheels.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 07:33 AM   #9
OrangeCrate
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9410
I had some wheel like that on a 05 Big Sky.. had 2 of them crack in the face area so they would not hold air. Contacted warranty dept. @ Tredit Tire in Elkhart about the problem. They told me the Alum. wheels have a lifetime warranty, had me send pictures and other info.. ended up sending me a complete set of new wheels and paid for the change-out labor. You might try contacting Tredit Tire Warranty. your failure is different than mine was, but it is worth a try... Mine were stamped made in China
Fax: 800-858-4230
Online: Warranty@TreditTire.com

OrangeCrate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 11:53 AM   #10
FLtravelers
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11152
Update:

Call to Keystone this morning. They referred me to Tredit. Kelly@Tredit had me send pictures. Keeping my fingers crossed for a quick resolution. Probably will have to cancel our trip to Hillsborough River SP (near Tampa) in a week and a half. I'd like to get the new wheels and new tires in hand before I address my bent axle? situation.

Thanks for the help. I'll update as things progress.
Old 02-18-2011, 03:27 PM   #11
FLtravelers
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11152
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by H. John Kohl

Did they give you four rims at no charge?
Old 02-19-2011, 12:03 PM   #12
Bruce Lenhardt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5098
Send a message via ICQ to Bruce Lenhardt
As I posted on an earlier thread, I had bad corrosion on all four of my aluminum wheels. I was past two years on warrenty and both Keystone and Tredit would do nothing about it. They probably will on a cracked wheel due to safety concerns. I have purchased new aluminum wheels (also Chinese!!) and Goodyear G614 tires. The tires and aluminum wheels put on Montanas are cheap Chinese junk. Time will tell if these new wheels are any better.
Bruce Lenhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 12:29 PM   #13
FLtravelers
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11152
I received an email from Tredit. They will warranty this rim due to the fact that it's a "structural issue". The email indicated that they are willing to only replace this one rim with one that won't match my other three. The TR6 mold has been destroyed (that's a good thing).

I'm going to try to negotiate for all four. An odd rim would certainly devalue my rig, and I have no confidence in the other three.

I'm not big on legal issues, but I've read enough here to see that this is, and will probably continue to be, a problem for anyone with these rims. Maybe it's time for someone to pick up a class action and get us a recall.
Old 02-19-2011, 05:11 PM   #14
OrangeCrate
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9410
They sent me 4 new rims, paid for the shipping and the labor to make the switch.. all was no cost to me... I think the Warranty Mgr's name was Kelly
OrangeCrate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 09:46 AM   #15
jackel1959
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2471
FLtravelers,
In November 2010 I experienced the same thing as you. Here is a link to the post I made and how Keystone actually came through for us: http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ad.php?t=42114
I hope this helps. I can also give you contact information for a Keystone rep that showed up a one of our rallies and has helped me out on a couple of different occasions. If you want his contact information, PM me and I will send it to you.
Jack
Old 02-21-2011, 03:47 PM   #16
FLtravelers
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11152
Tredit has refused my request to replace all four wheels under warranty. They are willing to sell me the other three wheels for $75 each. Tomorrow I'll call Keystone to see if they'll help.
Old 02-22-2011, 02:45 AM   #17
FLtravelers
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11152
Keystone has refused to do anything. Basically said we don't want to talk to you about it.

I told Tredit to ship four wheels. Kelly said she'd see if she could do better on the price of the other three, which includes shipping. She also said they'd pay the labor to swap the wheels out.
Old 02-25-2011, 05:39 AM   #18
RRman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7196
Hmm,
Last year (or was it late 2009?) Kelly at Tredit Tire replaced all 4 of my Aluminum Wheels for free, albeit I had to pay for installation.
RRman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 08:21 AM   #19
FLtravelers
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11152
Kelly @Tredit advises that their policy on replacements has changed. Wouldn't you know it now that I need replacements. According to her, Keystone used to help Tredit on the replacements. They don't anymore. My exchange with Keystone kind of verifies that. Keystone didn't even want to talk about it. I guess they're tired of hearing about cracked wheels.

Out of Keystone warranty, out of luck!