Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-05-2011, 11:56 AM   #41
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
I have to chim in on this because of my experience with commercial trucking nation wide. Most states do not have the personnal to man the scales 24/7 365 days. There is more commercial trucking than they can keep track of. If you will notice a mile or so before a DOT scale there is a pole with a strange looking box attached over the road. That box transmits to a receiver in some commercial trucks that have a scale bypass tag with either a green light or a red light. If they are busy they will transmit a green light to the trucker to by-pass the scales. If a trucking company has good hours of service records and a weight program they are issued these receivers to allow them to bypass the scales even when the scales are open. They do this because they can't handle the commercial traffic at the time as it can backup onto the interstate and cause a traffic safety issue. Now if they start pulling non-commercial RV's into the scale they will have traffic backed up to the next state line.
So for those promoting fears of RV's having to scale, I suggest you talk to your local "diesel cop" for their input. We have had Indiana DOT bring their new recruits to our facility since we were only a block down the road from Ind State DOT headquarters, to practice safety inspections on tractor trailer units. I have talked with several of the training officers as I worked in our training facility and I can tell you RV's are the least of their concern unless they have reason to suspect drug trafficking. They are concern more about drugs moving in RV's especially in the coastal area's than they are wheither a unit is within weight specs.

indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 04:30 AM   #42
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I agree completly with you Indy and that is exactly what our Ohio enforcement divison told me. However $$$$ may over ride that issue one day . If they only weighed Rv's one day a month the State could make a nice profit on overweight RV's. I my self amd concerned about the number of "uneducated" RV'ers on the road.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 04:43 AM   #43
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
Rich you know there is a proto call when the 18 wheelers enter the scales, knowing the light systems, when to pull up when to by-pass, when to drive through (roll across the scales) and how many non-commercial drivers know this the to back up they could cause.
Myself having taught the Smith System 5 keys of space cushion driving to 18 wheeler pilots, I am more concerned with a guy in a MDT doing 75 pulling 5th wheel or TT whipping in and out of traffic an riding peoples bumper than I am with a guy in a 3/4 ton using space cushion driving techniques doing 60 mph and allowing for braking and traffic conditons.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 12:20 PM   #44
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Yes I understand the scale rules as we are a CDL driver and have been there done that.

"I am more concerned with a guy in a MDT doing 75 pulling 5th wheel or TT whipping in and out of traffic an riding peoples bumper than I am with a guy in a 3/4 ton using space cushion driving techniques doing 60 mph and allowing for braking and traffic conditions" .... yes that is exactly what I am talking about. The guy in the 3/4 ton understands his rig and is "educated" IMO there are far to many of the other kind of driver out there who will careen down the highways "uneducated" in all areas" and I think these guys will one day make it hard for all of us.

We run 62/65 when towing and are passed by near every Rv of every type. That scares me.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote