Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 10-27-2006, 03:03 PM   #1
tom41
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6363
satellite hookup

I just acquired my 2980 04 monty. I have the satellite ready hookup on the outside an see the satellite an ant. connection in the bedroom. the atn. and cable works fine. But I have dish network, and i dont see but one connection in the living area large tv. its under the tv counter with a cable running up into the set. I also have a home theater system that works fine. I am wondering if I have to remove that hugh tv to run my cables for the satellite receiver? any suggestions before I unscrew an remove the TV to see whats behind it. thanks

tom41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 04:03 PM   #2
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Hey tom41... post my hookup here -> http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ad.php?t=17948
I am not sure how your rig is cabled...as mine has only one connection in bedroom which is off the main TV cabinet panel. This panel contians a cable splitter, and a dc relay that switches when amp is turned on to engage the roof antenna (also shown in my diagram reference link above).
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 08:20 AM   #3
tom41
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6363
I just fa guy that works at northgate rv in chattanooga that on my monty 2980 that the satellite connections was installed from the factory where the receiver for changing channels has to be in the bedroom!! but that the main tv in living area would get the same as bedroom tv. Why in the world would anyone install the hookups to where the satellite receiver had to be in the bedroom? lol!! anyways I will try an figure out another route to where the receiver can be in the living area. thanks foe every ones help.
Old 10-28-2006, 10:15 AM   #4
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Tom,

That is strange. My 2003 outside sat connection went straight into the living room cabinet, and was coiled on the shelf below the TV (perfect to put the reciever). In fact you can see the outside connection in my pic forward of the slide below the outside shower. It was only a 2' run!

Your TVs are in the same location as mine - where is your outside Sat connection? If it's not right there where mine is, it is real easy to put one in for the living room. The whole space can be accessed by removing the side panel out of the desk area. You can access the exterior side wall as well as the cable runs going up to the TV.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 11:53 AM   #5
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
This is the TV wiring diagram for most of the newer Montana's. Not sure if it fits yours but check it out, worked perfectly for mine and I use a Dish Satellite dish. You either have satellite or cable. Both at the same time would only be available with some extra wiring and outside connection.

http://pic3.picturetrail.com/VOL19/1.../111212066.jpg
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 12:24 PM   #6
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
On my 2980rl the two leads for the sat hookup are in the computer cabinet. there is a false swall on the left side of the cabinet heldon by two or 3 screws one of the cables goes up to the bed room tv/ant connecter. the other come from the outside wall conector to the dish which will conect to the sat conector on the dish receiver, a splitter will be necessary for the front tv and back tv/sat leads. the tv booster line goes into the TV conecter on the dish receiver I think on that one I haven't got that far on the install yet still working on it. sorry
Old 10-28-2006, 02:11 PM   #7
tom41
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6363
Brad, mine is just like yours it seems, my satellite outside connection is right in front of the big slide and below the outside shower. there is a side panel on the left side of the desk area under the tv with 4 screws , one in each corner, with 2 cables coming out and running up into the big tv. tomorrow, I will take off the side panel and explore! Don mine is Also like your setup. Charlie your set up looks good and i will study it to see if I can work it also. I really appreaciate you fellows help. Wondered why the receiver would have to go in the bedroom lol, but who knows with these guys that builds RV's!! most never camped.
Old 10-29-2006, 03:08 AM   #8
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
RL,

Charlie's diagram shows a change made in 2004 (5/1/2004) and is quite different than my 2003. Your 2004 could be either way depending on when it was manufactured.

It appears from Charlie's diagram, the outside connection serves both for cable and satellite. If using cable, the signal is sent to both TVs as you typically do not need a receiver. If using satellite, you have to remove the jumper to be able to put the reciever in the living room.

My 2003 has an outside cable connection/telephone at the back by the city water connect, and a separate outside satellite connection in front of the slide. The cable connection goes to both TVs directly, and the satellite goes directly to the living room TV. I don't have any jumpers to remove.

http://pic30.picturetrail.com/VOL152.../199926454.jpg

I guess if I had the newer version, I would add a new outside satellite connection near the living room TV for the receiver, and leave the cable connection intact with the jumper. I like having the option of using the RV park cable when they have it and not set up the dish. I wouldn't want to have to remove and reinstall the jumper each time I switched systems.

Brad
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 04:54 AM   #9
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
anyone know how the 2007 hook-up is wired?
illapah is offline   Reply With Quote