Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-10-2015, 09:15 AM   #1
farmall
Established Member

M.O.C. #4676
landing gear

I have a 2006 2950RK . I am now a having problems with the landing gear. The motor works. it seam that the motor is not very secure and the fuse blows, replaced broken sheer pin. Need some help...

farmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 03:14 PM   #2
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Can you be more specific on the problem besides fuse? Are the legs jammed, moving slowly, making a grinding noise, etc. I would pull the cap on top of the drive leg and check the drive gear. If a leg is bent, binding could easily blow fuses.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 04:21 PM   #3
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
The electric motor is not mounted solidly ... they all "wobble" a bit per design. Have you ever lubed anything on the landing gear assy?
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 05:28 PM   #4
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I now use 2 stacks of 4x4 blocks under each leg ever since I broke one shear pin and wanted to keep the amount of travel down A LOT. The first mishap occurred in an RV Park with terrible cell/internet service and since I had to keep my truck hitched up because the landing legs were inoperable, I was very fortunate to get errand help from my immediate neighbor. While he was very gracious enough to offer to help by driving me around to find parts, I did fill up his diesel tank since we had to drive so far. So we both did okay. I know travel with enough jacks and blocks to support the rig in the event of another mishap (don't tie up my truck)

The second mishap occurred several weeks later at a very uneven site front to back. It was so severe I think the landing legs got stressed from being too extended and at an angle. I used the blocks and jacks to relieve the pressure and get hitched to the truck. Then the Landing gear worked just fine. Using the blocks especially with uneven sites, seemed to lessen the stress and solve that problem.

5 months later and things are still going well, but I look for more level sites than not. Prior to this I didn't care much. Lesson learned.

Unfortunately, I didn't have a motor problem but when I was working on my jacked up landing legs, I was able to use a drill to operate the landing gear. Don't try that without a motorized drill.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 07:15 AM   #5
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Here is a picture of the landing leg.

Here is a link to other photos on the leg repair.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 05:11 AM   #6
farmall
Established Member

M.O.C. #4676
I would like to thank all you grate people that help me with my landing gear problem and I think I have it fixed if I watch what I am doing. thanks
farmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 11:39 AM   #7
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
I had similar problems on my old 2006. I parked it in Bro-in-laws drive which had a pretty good slope. I didn't get the wheels chocked good enough and when I hooked back up, the whole trailer sort of rolled forward a couple of inches. After that I had problems. Could only extend legs about 10-12 inches and then clutch would start chirping.
Finally replaced the leg and all was well. Actually replaced the motor also, since I had ruined the clutch by then.
So I now use those X chocks between the wheels on one side and the plastic chocks on the other side. So it is pretty solid and between my 2 rigs, I have gone for maybe 5-6 years without a reoccurrence of any problems.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is online now   Reply With Quote