Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-13-2019, 07:56 AM   #81
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie Flyer View Post
The difference between an F250 and an F350 in the diesel is an extra leaf spring on the rear. I have a 2016 F250 that I added a helper spring to it and pull a Montana 3611rl without any problem.
If you check the F250s on dealers lots you will find that many come with that extra spring installed, especially those with higher trim levels and more options.

BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 09:41 AM   #82
QKnot
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24001
One caveat to the whole 3/4 ton vs 1 ton debate: the Rams. 2500s are coils all around. I know you're talking Fords, but at least for the Rams I personally would not pull a heavy 5th with a pin weight that would put it any over the GVW of the Ram 2500 just for that reason, even if it were within the axle/tire ratings.

I also noticed that my 3500 SRW does not have the same spring pack as my friend's DRW. I'm not sure if that's the same as the Fords, but it might make a difference too.
QKnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 10:56 AM   #83
reinell30
Established Member

M.O.C. #18462
Quote:
Originally Posted by QKnot View Post
One caveat to the whole 3/4 ton vs 1 ton debate: the Rams. 2500s are coils all around. I know you're talking Fords, but at least for the Rams I personally would not pull a heavy 5th with a pin weight that would put it any over the GVW of the Ram 2500 just for that reason, even if it were within the axle/tire ratings.

I also noticed that my 3500 SRW does not have the same spring pack as my friend's DRW. I'm not sure if that's the same as the Fords, but it might make a difference too.
No offense, I would never buy a Ram!
reinell30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 11:08 AM   #84
Deplorable

M.O.C. #21199
Quote:
Originally Posted by reinell30 View Post
No offense, I would never buy a Ram!
More of a goat guy I guess?
Deplorable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 03:51 PM   #85
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deplorable View Post
I am running Method NV HD wheels that are 4000lb/ wheel rared, and running nitto exo grapplers that are 3860lb rated.
With an approx 3000lb rear axle weight, that allows up to another 5k in pin wt - and not many 5ers are that heavy, so wheels can be had.
Easier so if one uses a 19.5” wheel, which is also readily available.
Your tires and wheels do not change the gvwr even 1 pound. In fact they can reduce the allowable load in the truck if they weigh more than what the factory installed.

I get it that in actuality a truck can be modified to carry more weight safely. Some opinions expressed are from those that don't have any regard for being legal. Other opinions are from those interested in being legal and and avoiding liability. It is ok to disagree and debate. Making something sound legal when it isn't, is not.
Old 05-13-2019, 03:59 PM   #86
Last2Die
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22986
2018 3920fb 2020 GMC Denali 3500 4x4 Duramax, 10 speed Allison. LB SRW, Firestone air bags with Airlift wireless onboard compressor. Anderson Ultimate Hitch. MX4 folding cover. 50gal titan in bed transfer tank. Onan 6500 lp genset installed by me ! Had: 2 HF 3500 Inverters with Parallel Kit
Last2Die is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 04:32 PM   #87
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Like I stated earlier. People are going to what they want to regardless of weight limits or what anyone else says anyway so why do we all respond to these treads.

I can go to home depot and buy 25 sheets of drywall and strap it to the roof of my Honda accord and get it home safely. But should I ? Hell no!!!

Buy the right tool for the job to be done.....
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 05:01 PM   #88
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
I don't know, I took home a complete Water Bed (minus water) with a Two Drawer Base in the back of a Chevy Vega Hatch Back. Did make the front end quit light.
Old 05-13-2019, 05:24 PM   #89
Deplorable

M.O.C. #21199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Man View Post
Your tires and wheels do not change the gvwr even 1 pound. In fact they can reduce the allowable load in the truck if they weigh more than what the factory installed.

I get it that in actuality a truck can be modified to carry more weight safely. Some opinions expressed are from those that don't have any regard for being legal. Other opinions are from those interested in being legal and and avoiding liability. It is ok to disagree and debate. Making something sound legal when it isn't, is not.
The post to which I replied stated he had trouble finding tires and wheels rated to safely carry the load.

Nowhere did I bring up any legality one way or another.

If you read more into my statement, that is on you and your reading comprehension.
Old 05-13-2019, 05:25 PM   #90
QKnot
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24001
No offense, but after the debacle with my F150 warranty coverage, I'd never buy another Ford. Ever. Ford doesn't honor their warranty.

To each their own.
Old 05-13-2019, 05:32 PM   #91
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
Originally Posted by QKnot View Post
No offense, but after the debacle with my F150 warranty coverage, I'd never buy another Ford. Ever. Ford doesn't honor their warranty.

To each their own.
' For whatever reason Ford did not honor your warranty. We have had two Fords and Ford handled our warranty claims.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 05:35 PM   #92
Deplorable

M.O.C. #21199
Quote:
Originally Posted by richfaa View Post
' For whatever reason Ford did not honor your warranty. We have had two Fords and Ford handled our warranty claims.
My transmission went out on my F150 KR at 62k miles.
The truck came with a 60k warranty, when I asked for some sort of concession, Ford told me pound sand.

And so now I have spent nearly 200k more on other trucks without the blue oval of mediocrity.
Old 05-13-2019, 05:44 PM   #93
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
So lets see. I buy a 3/4 ton SRW short bed and I have to add:
Helper springs
Air bags
Hard to find super heavy tires
Hard to find super heavy rims
Slider hitch

So what were the advantages to the 3/4 ton SRW short bed again? Oh yeah I forgot it rides softer, except it doesn't with those heavier tires.......Its easier to park? Really? I can park my dually nearly anywhere you can park a standard truck......come on folks there simply isn't any advantage to the smaller trucks now is there!
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 05:59 PM   #94
Dhardy
Established Member

M.O.C. #22493
I started down this road a couple of years ago. I thought that I had done my research and bought a 2017 f350 to haul my 3820fk. I knew I was close to being over capacity but I didn’t want to go to a dually. I found out through weighing my rig that I was under capacity by #200. The argument for a single rear wheel went away when I found that as I was going down the highway with my trailer, my air pressure would raise 12-15#. As I researched I found that this increase was caused by tires carrying a lot of weight causing them to heat up. The equation I read is that for every pound of pressure increase the tires are increasing in temperature 10* degrees (you do the math). Which may be fine with a brand new tire but what happens to an aged tire?

I also know that a few years ago my son was involved in a fatal accident (he lived thank god) but for the nearly 1 year that it took to establish fault (which is not abnormal). I lived in fear of losing my house to a wrongful death suit. The police officers investigated everything from cell phone use to volume of the stereo to condition of the tires. What I learned is that I live in a comparative negligence state, and that the at fault party is the one that owns 51% of fault, however in a civil suit if you are found to be partially at fault, you can expect to pay whatever percentage fault you own in the wreck.

Long story short. That wreck and the aftermath that followed have taught me that you should never count on the worst not happening because it does happen. Do you wanna risk everything you have worked for because you were to cheap to buy the right equipment to tow your trailer. The difference between being overloaded and within the ratings of your truck don’t cost much at the original purchase. What is the reason any of you would want to risk another persons life or that of a family member by overloading your vehicle.

I will end with this. After towing with a SRW 1 ton for a year, I traded it in and spent the extra 2500.00 and purchased a dually. For those of you that are in the SRW camp I can tell you that the difference is night and day with the dually. If it keeps me safer and I never have to look at someone again that lost a loved one, IT WAS WORTH IT. My son ultimately was not found at fault but psychologically will never be the same. I hope that this helps just one person rethink their choices that unfortunately may cause others great harm. God bless.
Old 05-13-2019, 06:39 PM   #95
CruiserMB

M.O.C. #23875
Appreciate all the info...

But,,,,,

I have learned alot with my truck choice limitation thru this thread, I appreciated the positive responses as well as the negative ones, that is called debate and opinions and alot of you responded with fact based data and some responded with their opinions with a hint of " do it my way or you shouldn't do it at all".

What I learned the most is what I thought I would like to pull with my 2019 Ford F250, is not going to happen because of its towing weight limitations, but I also learned what I CAN tow with my truck and that helps solve my dilemma I originally posted.

I can still get a Montana just not a 40', so thanks again for all the help.
My wife and I have finally decided which Montana 5th wheel we ARE going to get that will be what we want as well as fitting within my trucks capability.

I'm afraid now to even give the model we chose because for some that wouldn't be the right 5th wheel choice and I won't open up anymore cans of worms.

Once again thank you to all who responded to my post

Jeff
CruiserMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 06:47 PM   #96
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Man View Post
Your tires and wheels do not change the gvwr even 1 pound. In fact they can reduce the allowable load in the truck if they weigh more than what the factory installed......
Don’t know about GVWR, but according to Ford published specifications, an F350 with 20” wheels has a higher payload rating than a similar F350 with 17” wheels.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 07:12 PM   #97
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_TX View Post
Don’t know about GVWR, but according to Ford published specifications, an F350 with 20” wheels has a higher payload rating than a similar F350 with 17” wheels.
That is good to know. If someone needs to squeak out a few more pounds of payload that would be worth considering.
Old 05-13-2019, 07:16 PM   #98
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
CruiserMB, so welcome to the forum! Any other questions?
Old 05-13-2019, 10:29 PM   #99
QKnot
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24001
Quote:
Originally Posted by richfaa View Post
I should've quoted the original comment I was responding to about never buying a Ram. Everybody has their reasons. Sorry, I don't want to turn this into a truck bashing thread.

It's great that Ford honored your warranty. Could've been your dealer was better than mine, but I just didn't have the same experience. I'll leave it at that.
Old 05-13-2019, 10:47 PM   #100
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruiserMB View Post
But,,,,,

I have learned alot with my truck choice limitation thru this thread, I appreciated the positive responses as well as the negative ones, that is called debate and opinions and alot of you responded with fact based data and some responded with their opinions with a hint of " do it my way or you shouldn't do it at all".

What I learned the most is what I thought I would like to pull with my 2019 Ford F250, is not going to happen because of its towing weight limitations, but I also learned what I CAN tow with my truck and that helps solve my dilemma I originally posted.

I can still get a Montana just not a 40', so thanks again for all the help.
My wife and I have finally decided which Montana 5th wheel we ARE going to get that will be what we want as well as fitting within my trucks capability.

I'm afraid now to even give the model we chose because for some that wouldn't be the right 5th wheel choice and I won't open up anymore cans of worms.

Once again thank you to all who responded to my post

Jeff
Thanks for keeping the rest of the worms in the can. I 've always said weigh and then you will know but I guess there are some that would rather argue than go by the numbers. This is a debate that never ends.
Texan is offline   Reply With Quote