Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 08-17-2008, 07:29 PM   #1
av2pilot
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6348
Send a message via AIM to av2pilot
Wine Probing Colorado

Jackie and I were thinking we might head out and do some wine probing while we're visiting our son out at the USAF Academy in September (we're staying in the Fam Camp for about 6 weeks) and thought we'd see if anyone had some insight into the area....we were thinking the Grand Junction area. Which brings me to my second point.....should I be concerned going over the pass west of Denver on I-70? Thanks for the advice in advance!

av2pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 03:27 AM   #2
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Try Palisade, which is east of Grand Junction. Thats kind of the center of wine country in Colorado. The oil and gas workers have a monopoly on the campgrounds, so get reservations early.

I haven't seen you drive, so we'll have to ask you wife if SHE is concerned about driving over I-70 . It's not a treacherous road, it's just steep. Respect the hazard by making sure your gear is in good operating condition and you will do fine. It is a main artery for trucking as well as RVs, so you won't be alone.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 03:42 AM   #3
gojodo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5540
Brad could comment on this with more specific knowledge, but last year we stayed in Woodland Park and headed west into South Park and on over to Gunnison. A nice drive might be to go over to Gunnison, through the Black Canyon and on up to Grand Junction. Then if the weather was holding and your not pulling a rig, come back through Aspen and over Independance Pass, then back down toward Colorado Springs.
gojodo is offline   Reply With Quote