Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 06-16-2008, 01:45 PM   #1
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Hampton Road Bridge/Tunnel and Propane?

For anyone in the Norfolk, VA area or who have traveled there lately.
What are the procedures to use the Hampton Road bridge/tunnel. Ann and I are going to Damneck for the weekend.
Do we have to stop for an inspection?
Thanks in advance.
Cheers,

H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 04:21 PM   #2
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
Although not recently, we have towed our Montana through there and yes, you will be asked to pull over and turn off your propane. There is a pull-out big enough for you ... at both ends. Not a biggy.

Enjoy your trip!
vickir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 05:32 PM   #3
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
John,
Vicki is right. They ask you at the toll booth north bound to pull over and turn off. Do same yourself before entering bridge heaqded southbound. Pull ove after the toll booth after transiting, and turn back on. No big deal. Best wishes.
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 06:18 PM   #4
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
H. John,
Are you talking about the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel or the Hampton Tunnel on I-64. I think you are getting responses to the Chesapeake one, unless I am the one confused. They do have pull-outs on the Hampton Roads tunnel also, but no toll booths.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 11:28 PM   #5
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Bingo, I think you are right. From my research there are no longer tolls on Hampton Road Bridge Tunnel. I got the same response from DOT VA but never trust government folks. lol. (After being one I can say that tong in cheek.) The pull off locations was my question Thanks. I will just have to remember to pull off and turn off then back on.
Cheers,
Old 06-17-2008, 02:40 AM   #6
Cyrus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6535
My experience with all the tunnels in the area is, if your gas is on you pull off and turn it off and then continue. I have pulled off when the gas was turned off and they act like why did you stop??? If the gas is off apparently you don't have to pull off but I don't see any signs that tell you that. You will see many campers that don't stop.

You can go to the http://www.virginiadot.org/travel/hr...ult.asp#hazmat and read the rules
Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 09:18 AM   #7
Bill and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6958
John,
You NEED to stop at the inspection station - Not an option. There is no problem turning it off right there before proceeding into the tunnel so no need to turn it off any sooner than that. Yes, many times I observe behaviors by the highly skilled and highly paid DOT workers. Some just ask and take your word and wave you on the way, some make you show them by trying to turn the valve in the closed direction (which I could easily fake if I wanted to) and in probably 25 transits of the tunnel I have had one person actually check the valve themselves with their own hand! They also don't seem to realize that closing the valves doesn't really do much as there is still a significant amount of gas in the line and the fridge will still spark and try and light off if the temp gets too warm. There is no convient place on the "other side" of the tunnel (in either direction) to pull over and turn the gas back on. Once you exit the tunnel you are less than a 1/2 hour from the campground anyway so I would just turn it back on when you get to the campground. You will have to cycle power to the fridge anyway to clear the "check" light.

We have friends in our camping group that had a Prevost and didnot have any propane tanks onboard but got chased and pulled over for not stoping at the inspection station even though they were not (Transporting hazardous material or propane)
Bill and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 02:36 AM   #8
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Thanks for the information. What I needed.
Cheers,