Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 09-27-2017, 10:31 AM   #1
stengels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14162
Send a message via AIM to stengels
Rear Sensor on Level Up System

Does anyone have an idea where the rear sensor is? I know it is under the underbelly, but Lippert wants me to check and see if it was mounted properly. They have already replaced the front module and keypad, but the unit "auto level" function isn't working.

Old 09-27-2017, 12:43 PM   #2
PapaBeav
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7487
Just had mine replaced. It is under the underbelly just behind the rear axle.
PapaBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 06:30 PM   #3
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Crawl under and look for a patched area around the axles in the center of the trailer that had been sealed with black tape. It should be above that.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 08:19 AM   #4
stengels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14162
Send a message via AIM to stengels
Middle, or to one side or the other?
Old 10-03-2017, 08:59 AM   #5
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Mine is in the middle, I think just in front of the front axle. Just look for the taped up spot like someone else said.

I bought my trailer used and it auto leveled fine at first. Now when I try it the nose dives to the ground and it freaks out. I have had to stop it by pushing any botton several times.

I have just been leveling manually which seams to work better since I can controll the overall hieght of the trailer and which legs go down first.

Let me know why yours does not work. Maybe I have the sameissue
Old 10-03-2017, 10:42 AM   #6
BuilderBob
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20475
When you disconnect from you truck you need to have the fifth wheel noise high before
you start the auto level the system drops the front of the rig about 3" when it starts out or it get out of sink with it self and you have to do a reset on the system. Make sure your
truck is out of the way when you start the auto level.

Bob & Carol
Tacoma WA
2017 352RL \ 2008 Dodge 3500 DRW crew cab 6.7L
BuilderBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 12:21 PM   #7
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeje View Post
<snip>
... Now when I try it the nose dives to the ground and it freaks out. I have had to stop it by pushing any botton several times.
</snip>
I too had this problem after several years of successful operation. I solved it by disconnecting all the power to the Level Up system (I pulled the Molex plug but it is easier to disconnect the battery and the AC power). Let it sit for a bit. Then it resets itself when the power is returned. You will have to set the level position again (manually level the rig and then do the 10 front / 10 rear process).

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuilderBob View Post
<snip>
When you disconnect you truck you need to have the fifth wheel noise high before you start the auto level the system drops the front of the rig about 3" when it starts out or it get out of sink with it self and you have to do a reset on the system.
</snip>

In my 6 years of experience with the Level Up system I have disconnected numerous times with the nose below level. Yes the nose always drops as part of the process. But the system will Autolevel without any problem and it does not get "out of sync" with itself. The one "feature" of starting an Autolevel when the nose is below level is the "Return to Hitch Height" process (simultaneous
pressing Left and Right) will fail with an error message "Feature disabled". I have no idea what they were thinking to have it work like this but it is documented in the Level Up manual.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 02:59 PM   #8
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
I tried to auto level in my perfectly level pole barn. The truck and camper tow level. So when I disconnect there the nose is high. I hit auto level and the nose goes all the way to the ground. like 16"+. I had to stop it before something was damaged.
Old 10-03-2017, 04:05 PM   #9
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
That is what mine was doing when it went wacko. I do know that even if the front jacks retract all the way, you won't hurt anything. Nothing on the RV will contact the ground.

I suggest you disconnect all power (battery cable and AC) and let the "brain" reset itself. The turn on the power, manually level the rig to your liking, and the do the procedure to reset the brain's level setting (10 Front / 10 Rear process).

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 08:49 AM   #10
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
I am pretty sure I tried that before, but I guess it is worth another try. Been leveling manualy with no issues. I kind of like it because I can controll the height of the camper and witch legs I want to touch the ground first.
Old 10-04-2017, 06:40 PM   #11
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
The sensor box has to be mounted dead center and it will be mounted on a metal plate welded to the bottom of one of the metal floor joists. If you drop part of the rear plastic underbelly, you should be able to spot it with a flashlight.
jcurtis934 is offline   Reply With Quote