Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-16-2012, 06:12 PM   #1
F3fifty
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12628
Mor/Ryde Pin Box

Just purchased a new 2012 Mountaineer 326 that didn't come with the Mor/Ryde Pin Box. This is my first experience with pulling a 5th wheel and IM not liking the chucking / bucking whatever you call it. Before I drop about 750 bucks on a Mor/Ryde Pin Box is this the best box out there? Thanks

F3fifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 06:20 PM   #2
RonD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8962
The Mor/Ryde is the best for the money, you can spend thousands for one better, we like our Mor/Ryde, no real complaints, we do get the banging around some when the road is just right with up and downs, and temps are cool
RonD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:22 PM   #3
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
this is the first time we have had a mor-ryde on our 5th and although it helps and I can feel the difference I was expecting more it still bucks and jerks some, maybe I was expecting it to totally stop but all and all it does help maybe somebody out there has another brand and give feedback I would like to hear it too
Old 07-17-2012, 01:49 AM   #4
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
MorRyde works pretty good for us. There are a couple of other brands out there, which include a shock absorber and rubber bushings, but higher $$$. Don't know the specifics on any performance differences.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 02:07 AM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
I'm sure the "air ride" folks will be along soon. We like the MorRyde, but like anything else you get what you pay for. You can get both pin boxes and hitches that will lessen the chucking even more than the MorRyde, but you will pay for it.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 02:50 AM   #6
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
We found ours used for $200.00.
cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 10:24 AM   #7
Alwims
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10623
We bought ours a little over a year ago and installed it ourselves. You just need a torque wrench and the right size socket and wrench. This plce sells them shipped to your door for $538. http://radauto.com/shop/pin-boxes/mo...x/prod_40.html You just need to know what number and brand pin box you have now.
Alwims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 11:48 AM   #8
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
You may want to consider this; a Mor-ride is essentially a thick rubber pad bonded between two plates. It primarily moderates horizontal movement. The air ride pinbox designs convert horizontal movement to a vertical [more or less] movement, they also moderate bounce at the same time.
When the rigs tires encounter a hole or bump, the directional movement is momentarily halted or slowed causing an initial tug or jerk on the hitch pin. When it exits the initial obstacle, it 'catches up' causing a sudden push. The obstacle also causes the rv to bounce which is also transmitted to the pin/hitch assembly. In addition, consider the truck is also doing the same thing at a different frequency. So probably the 'best' solution is one that isolates the TV from the RV, and moderates both the back and forth jerking and bounce of the RV. I would guess that a TV air hitch is the on that accomplishes this better than most other solutions with a air pin pox running a relatively close second then the Mor/Ride. The problem is what you are willing to pay vs what your willing to put up with.
So, bottom line, the Mor/Ride is not, necessarily, the 'best' out their.
No, I don't have an air hitch, too expensive.
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 12:28 PM   #9
jwedell
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6436
Had a 5th airborne on our 06 3500rl. Have a mor-ride on our 09 3400rl. I prefer the 5th airborne. The ride was smoother.
jwedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 12:49 PM   #10
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
As I have mentioned many times before, if you can afford the Mor-Ryde hitch pin AND the Trailer-Saver Hitch for your TV, you will have almost the best combination available. NOW, IF, you add the Mor-Ryde Independent Supension, including disc brakes, you WILL have the best running combination available, HOWEVER, it will cost you some BIG $$$$$$$'s for all three. We fulltimed to 45 states in 4 years with this combination and nary a problem with any of it. Never any damage to the trailer truck or occupants, including the cat that always rode in the trailer......This is IMHO......
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 02:53 PM   #11
7.3Ford
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9808
We started with stock pin box, added Firestone airbags to truck springs, which really helped on dips before and after some overpasses. We then added the Mor-Ryde pin box which helped with the jerkiness.

Tweety's has pin boxes with free shipping http://tweetys.com/morryde-fifth-wheel-pin-box.aspx

Make sure you get the model number off of your current pin box, I called Keystone, and they gave me the wrong info, it cost me $180 to ship wrong one back.
7.3Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 04:26 PM   #12
F3fifty
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12628
Very good feedback and thank you, looking for some air-ride feedback as I haven't ordered the Mor/Ryde. The dealer that sold us our Montana will let me have a Mor/Ryde at their cost but I have to fork out the installation cost. I noticed that pratcically every one of the new Montana units on their lot have the Mor/Ryde Hitch Pin Box. Obviously Mor/Ryde and Keystone have working relationship.
If anyone has traveled interstate 90 east from the Idaho state line to St. Regis Montana with a Mor/Ryde Pin Box within the last three years they should chime in as how it performs. That has to be the worse highway in the northwest.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:18 PM   #13
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
I don't think there is a state out there now that does not have some really crappy Interstates. Texas around Dallas it terrible, going thru Ark. was really bad, Ky was disgusting, watch out for their bridges, and the Northeast,,,, well it has always sucked. But it just seems the hwys are really headed down hill bad. But we don't have a air hitch or Mor/Ryde and really don't have a problem towing. We don't really get a lot of chucking. I imagine a Mor/Ryde may help on some of the rougher roads but I am gonna install the EZ Flex suspension first and maybe some where down the road look for a Mor/Ryde, it's lower on my priorities because my ride isn't that bad.
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:06 PM   #14
RidgecrestDad
Established Member

M.O.C. #8969
For those considering purchase of, and those already with the MorRyde Rubber Pin Box. I bought one last year just before a 1000+ mile trip hoping it would remove chucking and provide some relief. I was not quite sure, as others are, that it was helping. I saw what appeared to be spots where sliding parts seemd to be hitting stationary parts. When I called MorRyde and explained my concerns I was asked to send in some digital pictures. They agreed that the rubber spring, while correctly matched for my 5er weight, it was not doing the job. They immediately shipped me a spring for a heavier rig and asked me to try it. That new spring helped quite a bit, but the system does not completely remove all chucking. Some of you may be experiencing a similar phenomenon.

Regarding the up and down movement. I have air springs that I had previously added so I have convinced myself that I now have accomodated dampening in all axes; up/down, side/side and front to back. But even today, I experience an occasional "chuck." If you buy my logic, then the Mor Ryde Pin Box is a cost effective purchase as others have implied.

RidgecrestDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 09:27 PM   #15
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
If our Montana did not come with the MorRyde I would have definitely gone with an air pin like the Trailair Tri-Glide Air Ride King Pin or the Airborne. We are getting chucking with our MorRyde, and I'm sure with any pin, but like the idea of the mechanics of the air pin boxes.
seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 01:57 PM   #16
Sniperduce
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10075
2011 Mountaineer's didn't have the Morryde standard so we decided to just try the standard pin box. So far no annoying chucking we not already use to anyways. Maybe in the future I'll try the Airborne/Sidewinder thats out there. I kinda like that technology.
Sniperduce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 03:57 PM   #17
vetten

M.O.C. #12032
We have a 2012 Montana 3100rl with the Mor-Ryde pin box and the Trailsaver BD3 hitch. This combination is about as smooth a ride as one could ever experience pulling a 5th wheel. We love the combination and could not be happier.
vetten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 04:34 PM   #18
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

I can’t quite put my finger on it but I haven’t experienced any chucking for a long time. When I first brought a Montana home I wondered what the jerking was on the first trip. I’ve noticed it a few times since then and now virtually none at all that’s noticeable. Anyway, I said all of that to say this. I don’t have any kind of absorption hitch on our camper and never have had one. Perhaps it’s a combination of things, anybody got a clue as to what really causes it?
Old 07-19-2012, 03:33 PM   #19
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
Like the rest we have a Mor Ryde and using a Curt Q24 hitch. I can tell you that the combination works great. It's simple to use, easy on and off. Little if any chucking. Was told the Curt with its four way movement adds to comfort. I am a believer in this combo. I did not ave to run air to it or deal with any aspects of airing up the system. I like to KISS everything ! Lol
Artemus Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 05:52 PM   #20
F3fifty
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12628
Im going to go with the Mor/Ryde it has to be an improvement over the OEM hitch pin box. I'll reply to post soon. Thanks for the feedback.