Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Navigation
Click Here to Login

Old 06-13-2011, 06:29 AM   #1
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Garmin 465T GPS review

We purchased the Garmin 465T from Amazon a couple of months ago.The price we now right to us..255.63 and we were looking to upgrade.

It is a two in one unit, truck mode and car mode. IMO it is more set up for the 18 wheeler but does a good job for the RV.

Our truck settings are Width 9 feet,Height 13 feet two inches,Gross weight 23,500lbs (the GCWR of the truck), Number of trailers one, Overall length 53 feet, Hazardous material none, Max weigh per axle..6,000 lbs..(
had to fudge that to match the GCWR of 23,500lbs and we have 4 axles, truck two and Montana two) So we are a short 18 wheeler as the trailer on a 18 wheeler is normally 53 feet in itself.

We ran it on a route to a campground where our garmin 205 routes us through towns and stop lights and a known 12 feet 7 inch bridge thinking we are a car, The 465T kept us out of the towns and away from the low bridge but it was of course a bit longer route.

It does warn of "truck restrictions" along the route. There are two of them near us and they are both areas were no trucks are allowed and you would not want to take a RV there as well. You just acknowledge the restrictions and continue. When we ran the Garmin 205 and the 465T in Car mode they ran the exact same course every time.

The 465 T also has the traffic alerts and is bluetooth friendly

the 465T in truck mode gave us the same route to Florida as the 205 unit.

If you are going to upgrade the 465T is worth a look

The routes may be a bit longer in some cases but you will have a no worry trip.

We like it for the RV and gave our garmin 205 that we used in the truck to one of the kids.

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 06:36 AM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Good review! Thanks for the report. I would imagine that a truck route would often go around to accommodate limits and therefore could easily be longer. I didn't see any negatives, just what one should expect.

Is the purpose for tracking axles for those roads and tolls that charge by the axle? I like the potential of that feature.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 07:08 AM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
My guess is that it is as The Ohio TPk as do others charge by axle and weight. It no doubt has something to do with weight limits like on bridges and some roads but with a RV don't think we need to worry about 18 wheeler weights. You need to fudge a bit because we are not really a 18 wheeler and are not as long or weigh as much but when you plug in your numbers it hears you. I also like that it warns you of the proper lane to be in or stay out of in advance.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:54 AM   #4
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
Rich, what about the POIs? Mainly directed for the semi truck?
bw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 11:45 AM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Not necessarily because you can choose car mode and the POIs are the same as if you were traveling by car.. It does have additional things directed toward the trucker like repair facilities, truck washes, etc that are of interest to the rv'er.Truck repair,towing and recovery directed toward big rigs,Tires sales,Rest areas, scales, and many more all directed toward bigger rigs which we are. When you ask for a fuel stop when in truck mode it will give you one you can get in and out of. Example there is a BP on the corner up the street. When in car mode it directs me to the BP station and every other station in town that the car will fit in... When in truck mode it directs me to a pilot truck stop 6 miles from the house that the Montana and truck will fit into. No more wondering if we will fit. You can easily switch car to truck more by touching the Icon on the screen.

It is a good tool for the Rv'er...IMO.
Old 06-13-2011, 12:52 PM   #6
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
Thanks Rich for the review from a user. I may have to add that to the Father's Day list!
bw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 01:28 PM   #7
Bruce Lenhardt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5098
Send a message via ICQ to Bruce Lenhardt
Rich thanks for the review. I will be up grading from my current 265WT to something different before our next long trip. During our just finished trip to the Southwest US the 265 routed us down a couple really bad roads that we could barely get through. I called Garman and asked if they had any plans to include an Rv mode in the next software upgrade. They do not plan to do that. They didn't mention the 465T but did tell me about the new Dezl 560lmt(pronounced-Diesel). It is expensive ($450) but does include lifetime upgrades and traffic info. Haven't been able to find any RV specific reviews but the trucker reviews are all positive. I will look into the 465 T as a cheaper alternative. One thing that I see that is different between the two is that the Dezl can be changed from truck mode to an RV mode. It also can be used in car or walking mode. Not sure that is worth the extral $200!!
Bruce Lenhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 02:19 PM   #8
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Hey Rich, timely post, got a question.

How is the sound on that thing?? Can you hear the directions?

We had read some reviews and that was one thing that a lot of truckers and others seemed to whine about, that they could not hear the verbal directions.

How do you find that???
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 05:53 PM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Yes Carol we read those same reviews. It must be the larger cab area or a higher noise level in the 18 wheelers. The Volume level is the same as our other Garmin's and we had no problem at all with hearing in the cab of the F-350.

BTW. We are not pushing the 465T just giving a report based on our experience. There are others out there. we felt that the 465T was a good bang for the buck.. Life time upgrades for the 465T are about 99.00 (I think) and you get the first one free.

Would be interested to know what the difference is between truck and RV mode. There is Estees truck terminal in town think I will go over there and see if anyone has on of those new ones..
We spoke to several who had the 465T and they gave it high marks.
Old 06-21-2011, 03:41 PM   #10
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
Send a message via MSN to KathyandDave
Great review, Rich. Thanks. Is Canada on the maps?
KathyandDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 07:04 AM   #11
Lee F.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10754
Good review Rich,

I received one for Christmas and have used it on a 3000 mile round trip to Florida and several shorter trips and agree with your assesment. We especially like the listing of truck stops along the route. Makes planning stops easy. I also received the lifetime updates. I just installed the first one and was happy to see it included a newly built highway exit near me. It's a great addition.
Lee F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 11:14 AM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by KathyandDave

Great review, Rich. Thanks. Is Canada on the maps?
"Ease your way down the highway with the nüvi 465T – our first nüvi designed specifically for the over-the-road trucking industry. Featuring a preloaded National Truck and Trailer Services (NTTS) Breakdown Directory, truck-friendly points of interest, and specialized routing options throughout the lower 48 states and Canada, this full-featured navigator was made for life on the road. The nüvi 465T also lets you create custom vehicle profiles tailored to what you’re driving and what you’re hauling. It’s convenience created with over-the-road drivers in mind.