Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Let Us Entertain You
Click Here to Login

Old 05-25-2007, 11:30 AM   #1
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
Pros and Cons of dish tripod

Took many hours of consideration as to whether or not to go Kingdome or external dish antenna. I took the plunge and ordered the Dish 500 dual LNB 18" dish and want the pros and cons of mounting device. There are many tripods, ground mounts, etc. What have y'all learned works best?

Steve and Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 01:07 PM   #2
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
I have the "Dishfoot" It holds the dish OK but it does not fold down so it is hard to store. In other words I do not recomend it.
trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 01:15 PM   #3
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Tripod
Pros: Flexible placement to allow alignments when trailer location roof top would be blocked
Cons: Easy access by passerby (thief concern)
Roof top
Pros: Less likely to be stolen, you can bungy cord lash it to offair antenna when its up
Cons: Expensive if considering permanent mount
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 02:12 PM   #4
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
I purchased a tripod style off a ebay site. It has a cup at the bottom of the area that you tighten the shaft into. It also came with the pipe to mount your dish to. Better and cheaper than the one at radio shack. I drilled the feet holes at the bottom of the legs a little larger so I could drive a 20" piece of cement rerod into each hole. On the top of each rod I welded a nut so I have grip when I pull them out of the ground. I carry a claw hammer for this purpose. I have my name and phone no. painted on the dish. Those long rerod come in handy during the winter down in the Rio Grand Valley of Texas when the wind blows.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 03:42 PM   #5
prariepoodle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #450
Send a message via Yahoo to prariepoodle
We have the tripod that we got at camping world and a directv dish That Walt puts these long nail spikes drove down into the ground. The wind does not move the dish at all
prariepoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 04:35 PM   #6
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
If you want to spend less money, the dish can be mounted on a piece of 2X8. We have DirecTV and that's the way I do ours. I drilled 4 holes, one in each corner, through which I nail tent spikes to hold the thing down. When on pavement, I just place something heavy on the front of the board. Have been doing this for six years now and have never had a problem. As for theft, if someone is that hard up, he can have it.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 08:35 PM   #7
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
I carry both,

I mounted a house style base on top of the ladder at the back of the trailer. Spring loaded it so it is easy to level. (preferred method).
A little harder for this little over weight guy to climb up the ladder.

I also carry a small tripod. Needs to be tied down... a little top heavy.
Also easier to steal.. Both ways work OK.

J&D
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 01:41 AM   #8
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Steve and Brends, here is an idea for storage while travelling with a portable dish:
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...1/333f7dad.jpg
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 04:46 AM   #9
bobgay
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5072
Take a look at the Bullseye Mount at rvdishmount.com
I have used it for several years and found it to be very well-made and versatile.
bobgay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 05:42 AM   #10
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Steve and Brenda,

I also have the Dish 500 system. I suggest that whatever you get, the dual LNB can be a bear to site-in if the tripod or holder is not level. Whatever you get, make sure that leveling the 'stand' pipe to vertical is easy. We've had real good luck with a tripod that has a bullseye level in the standpipe. Level without the dish attached, and then add the dish after setting the azimuth, skew and elevation. We bought a winegard stand at CW, and threw away the bulky junk supplied by Dish.

I found that by swapping out the 1/4-20 nuts on the dish with screw knobs (6) available at most hardware stores makes the 'tuning' process quicker.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 05:51 AM   #11
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
We have a Tri-pod system, and have a Direct-TV HDTV with a 5 LNB's. I have used many different type mounts. I now use a Surveyor type Tri-Pod that I got at Lowes. Its made out of Aluminum and has adjustments on each leg for leveling the dish. I have found that being level is the most importmant thing in setting of the system. However there is many different ways to set up the system. The system we now use is the best and fastest way we have found....Good luck on your choice.... GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 12:11 PM   #12
Lije Baley
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3890
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Delaine and Lindy

We have a Tri-pod system, and have a Direct-TV HDTV with a 5 LNB's.
Delaine and Lindy,

I'll be moving from a 2 LNB dish to the 5 LNB dish once I put widescreen HDTVs in the Montana. I'm curious about the difficulty in locking in the multiple satellites for Direct's MPEG-4 signals. Are you already doing that, and what sort of meter do you use to accomplish the chore?

Bill
Lije Baley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 12:15 PM   #13
Lije Baley
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3890
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Delaine and Lindy

We have a Tri-pod system, and have a Direct-TV HDTV with a 5 LNB's.
I'll be moving from a 2 LNB dish to the 5 LNB dish once I put widescreen HDTVs in the Montana. I'm curious about the difficulty in locking in the multiple satellites for Direct's MPEG-4 signals. Are you already doing that, and what sort of meter do you use to accomplish the chore?

Bill
Lije Baley is offline   Reply With Quote