Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds
Click Here to Login

Old 07-19-2006, 01:28 PM   #1
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
Teklanika Campground in Denali NP

For our Alaska trip next year, we are considering a staying at the Teklanika RV Campground inside Denali National Park (mile 29). Has anyone stayed at this remote campground?? How soon did you get reservations??

F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 02:44 PM   #2
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
We didn't stay there but I wish we had. It sure looks nice. We met some people on the trolly that were staying there and they loved it. It can be kinda scary though. They had closed some of the tent sites at a near by camp because of wolves. The campground was not full when we went through and I remember that it was a 3 day minumum stay.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 02:58 PM   #3
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
Then there are the Bears that occasionally wander around the campsites….

If you can't get a spot in the park, try Carlo Creek Lodge. It's about 12 miles south of the park entrance. If it hasn't changed, then there is still a couple of nice folks who own it.

If you happen to stay there, let Art and Denise know that Steve and Kim, (the folks who came down from Fairbanks, with their Golden Retrievers every year,) said Howdy!

I haven't stayed in the park, but I'm assuming there might be a reservation required. It gets a lot of traffic during the short summers. Lots of tenters, and hikers. Or, BEAR BAIT as we Alaskans like to call them.

Here's some info just on camping in Denali: http://www.nps.gov/dena/home/visitor...ing/index.html

Steve
Montana_1240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 04:41 PM   #4
Russ and Sandy
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #561
We stayed there at the end of May 1999. 3 day minimum was enforced at that time. Bears came through the campground - no one hurt or no damage. All food items MUST be inside and heavy metal lockers were provided for tenters.

Everything was still frozen, so no water. Got down in the 20's at night. The bus that takes you on into the park only ran to mile 56 I think it was. Snow had closed the rest of the road. It was still a superb experience. Plenty of wild life.

By the way, we could only find one campground in Fairbanks that had water lines thawed to some sites. The one we had reservations at just hung a sign that it was shut down due to frozen pipes.
Russ and Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 05:09 PM   #5
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
Russ & Sandy,

Ahhhhh...Summer in Alaska.

Gotta love it!

Steve
Old 07-20-2006, 03:47 PM   #6
Russ and Sandy
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #561
Steve,

Right you are! Just sort of "goes with the territory" I think. I guess you know that from personal experience don't you? We got to experience some of those looonnnggg days. Not sure I'd really want to experience the "nights"

No regrets for our trip - that said, it would have been great if could have made it a much longer trip overall. We owned a 5th wheel at the time, but did not use go in it. We started out in a rented Class C in Seattle, drove up via the Cassiar, hitting most of the major sites in Alaska.

We travelled almost 4000 miles leaving the Class C in Anchorage and flying back home. It is an "economical" way to see much of the country. The deal was that we were actually ferrying the rig back up there for them for the summer season - therefore we just had a little over 3 weeks, unless we wanted to start paying the regular rental fee. NO!

We feel that it would take at least 2 months to really get everything in - even doing it the way we did. To drive all the way from Colorado and see all of the sites would surely take a complete summer and probably 15K plus miles. But, it may end up being the one and only trip there for us.

One other regret is that we had no digital camera back then. Took only about 250 pictures with the trusty 35mm. Still, it was a great trip!

Russ
Russ and Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 04:08 PM   #7
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
Russ,

Sounds like you got to see more of Alaska and its area than many Alaskans!

I haven’t gone via the Cassiar, myself. Would love to see it from that viewpoint.

I was always trying to figure out whether the all-day light, or the all-day dark was worse. When it was dark, sleeping was no trouble. But with that light, I had to install aluminum foil over my bedroom windows for a while, until I got used to sleeping in the half-light.

It sure does take a while, (plus a plane or boat trip,) to get to see most of Alaska. I keep saying that Alaska has too few highways. And it’s true. In my job working on the state’s data network, I was able to go to many places by plane, at the state’s expense. And still there were places where a simple float plane would have opened up so much more territory.

It is too bad you didn’t get more photos. But it would have been worse if you had visited, and didn’t even realize that 250 photos may have been too few.

Steve
Old 07-22-2006, 04:10 AM   #8
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
We are planning on at least 2 months in Alaska with 1 month (July) already booked in Soldatna for fishing. I am thinking that going to Denali in August would be best. Still lots of planning and many things to consider. This will be my third trip to AK and I am looking forward to it.
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 04:34 AM   #9
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Did you know that even the Fred Myer parking lot in Soldatna has a camp ground host? I've never seen that at Walmart. I'm still laughing about it.

Back to your original question, I sure hope you try to stay it Taklenika Camp Ground. It is so beautiful inside the park.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 06:02 AM   #10
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
Helen,

There are two campgrounds in Fairbanks. Both of them have problems staying as full as it takes to maintain a profit. And both hate it when people camp at the Fairbanks Fred Meyer store.

Then there’s Pioneer Park, (which used to be Alaskaland,) in Fairbanks, where campers would flood in to dry camp.

I don’t know what the campgrounds’ business is like in Soldotna, but I’m guessing there are also some hard feelings.

But that’s a surprise to me, as well as to you. That they should have a host!

And I do hope Tim and Susan check out that link about camping in Denali. Can’t hurt to get reservations way ahead of time.

Steve