Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 12-29-2007, 06:00 PM   #1
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Downsizing Living Room Furniture

Downsized my living room furnishings today. Sat in one of the recliners and it went Tango Uniform. Turned it over and one of the boards had broke. This was DW's recliner (135lbs). Took it to Goodwill. Moved sofa to rear of TT and moved secondary recliner to LR slide. Gives more room. I know this has happened to others, but I would keep an eye on the wood underneath the recliner. Could probabloy have repaired buy was looking to downsize anyway. Now looking for ottoman with storage......

exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 07:06 PM   #2
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
pparamore,sorry to hear about your misfortune but you just gave us a great idea.We have two large Labs and now will try your idea of moving the couch over where the recliners are and using one recliner
in place of the couch which will leave more room for the two kennels,the other recliner will stay home.
Will the right slide clear the couch?.......Jack
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 01:41 AM   #3
5rvers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4327
Jack,

Yes, the right slide will clear the couch. I moved the couch to where the recliners go. I like the new set up a lot better. I put casters on the recliners for easy movement. This was a great idea provided by Ozz.

Lou
5rvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 03:13 AM   #4
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
I too belong to the crowd that moved the sofa to the back window and took one of the recliners out and put in stick house for safe keeping. With just me and the DW we didn't need the second recliner as much as we needed some extra space.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 05:24 AM   #5
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
indy roadrunner,We too are in the same boat just the DW,myself and of course the kids (Labs).
5rvers,Thanks for the confirmation on the couch.How did you mount the casters on the ring underneath the recliners?
Thanks guys for the replies and of course many thanks to the Wizard of Ozz which I've read some of his great idea's.
Jack
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 05:35 AM   #6
jretz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6321
Just went through the same thing. One recliners foot rest bent and would not stay closed. We went to two small recliners with ottomans. More room and very easy to move. Several furniture people told us that the RV furniture is made with weaker components. In checking I found this to be true, the metal used in the foot reset was much thinner than on the ones we looked at at the furniture stores.

We were considering the move of the reliners and sofa. Does the sofa interfere with the back window, how hard is it to open the back window with the sofa there?
jretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 06:16 AM   #7
Joe-n-Doe
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7870
Wow...recliner failure this soon...DW would call that a blessing. She wants to switch to Euro style with ottoman. Easier to move.

We have an inflatable hide-a-bed. DW wants to move it from the right side of the 5er to the left side. Do you think that would cause any problems?
Joe-n-Doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 06:19 AM   #8
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
In my case, I move the sofa so it clears the back wall by the back window by about 3 inches - this gives room to operate the back day/night shade. I put the table with lamp on the side by the desk because you have that hump where the fresh water fill tube is located. Before I put the slides in I move the couch back as far as I can against the back wall - that lets the slides clear. When we close up I take the cushions off the couch and use them to pack around the recliner so it doesn't bang against the wall during travels on our smooth as silk interstates.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 11:15 AM   #9
Katja_and_Michael
Established Member

M.O.C. #5129
Hi everyone, and happy holidays and all the best to you and yours in the New Year! We've considered moving the hide-a-bed sofa to the back in our 3400 RL, but are wondering if anyone has had any problem/thoughts about what to do with the hot air vent that's between the recliners (the sofa would cover it if moved back there)? We live in our unit year-round in Victoria, BC, and it does get cold enough to use the furnace quite a bit. Have any of you that have moved your sofa to the back made any adjustments to the hot air vent?

Thanks so much!

Katja
Katja_and_Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 12:09 PM   #10
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
We have a deflector on ours. Purchased at the hardware store. Adjustable with magnets. We tucked the skirt of the sofa up on top of it and we get warm air.
Happy trails........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 12:43 PM   #11
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
jretz, doesn't seem to interfere with opening windows, just have to reach behind, but doable, just place the sofa about 4 inches from window and push back for traveling. Don't think the heat is enough to interfere with the couch so will leave it open for now. Once the second recliner goes kaput we will replace with a nice leather unit of somekind, probably a wallhugger......For those of you that have done this, how do you secure the relciners in the new spot??????
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 02:45 PM   #12
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
We threw away our straps a long time ago. We simply push the recliners up tight against the walls. The spring loaded action keeps pressure on the recliners and they move very little, if at all. If I were to start driving to where they would be in jeopardy, the wife lets me know immediately. She feels that is her job. I'm not all the happy about her technique, but it is effective...

We have also used this method of securing the recliners when we have the couch and recliners reversed. We put them with the backs up tight against the back side windows. They do not move. We also unscrewed those stupid little metal anchors on the floor in the back of our 3400. I stepped on them with my bare feet one time too many...

BTW, as you can see in our signature, we also have the inflatable sofa bed/couch.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 05:12 AM   #13
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Phil,

Before we moved into TONTOW, we sold the two recliners for $100 for the pair. We moved the dining room table to the rear window, put in a European type recliner with ottoman where the dining table used to be located. We also removed two of the chairs to the dining room table.

At first it was just an idea that we thought we would just try, but we are so glad we took the above actions, the difference in room is astounding.

Everyone has different ideas, but we see nothing in the 'rule-book' that says you have to live with a furniture configuration that Keystone thinks is best.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 05:28 AM   #14
TexasTraveler
Established Member

M.O.C. #7892
Robbie and Alice, Do you have any photo's of how your 2980RL looks inside after you made the furniture re-configuration? Sounds very nice and we're considering following your lead.
TexasTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 12:36 PM   #15
bigbob7777
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3701
Send a message via AIM to bigbob7777
I've moved my sofa to the back window, but the sofa is 34 1/2 inches wide and the slides are only 34" from the back wall. I've measured 10 times hoping it would change, but to no luck.

I would love to switch them. It really opens the room up for some reason.

bob
bigbob7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 07:34 AM   #16
mike johnson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3382
We also are thinking of moving our couch to the recliner (rear window) position. But will it be in the way of the slide? We're tired to having to move those recliners around every time we put in the slide!
mike johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 08:14 AM   #17
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
We have a 3400RL, 2006, and we moved our sofa/bed to the rear and sold the recliners. They were waaaay to big for the BW and I. We purchased two new recliners, smaller, and placed them beside the dining table. The couch when pushed back against the wall let the slides pass.

bw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 05:09 PM   #18
Ronnelly
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #794
We moved the couch to the rear, before we even signed the papers. When we get ready to close the slides we make sure the couch clears, but move the cushions and store them behind the recliners. Never had a problem with the slides not closing. If the chairs ever wear out, will try to replace them with wall hugger recliners. The recliners from the factory are so heavy.

W
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by pparamore

Downsized my living room furnishings today. Sat in one of the recliners and it went Tango Uniform. Turned it over and one of the boards had broke. This was DW's recliner (135lbs). Took it to Goodwill. Moved sofa to rear of TT and moved secondary recliner to LR slide. Gives more room. I know this has happened to others, but I would keep an eye on the wood underneath the recliner. Could probabloy have repaired buy was looking to downsize anyway. Now looking for ottoman with storage......
Ronnelly is offline   Reply With Quote