Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-17-2007, 08:40 AM   #1
jka

M.O.C. #4639
New MorRyde Suspension

Just wondering what the word is on the new MorRyde suspension. We are considering a new 3000rk and I am thinking the MorRyde would really help with the rear kitchen floorplan.

Thanks all.....Happy Camping.

jka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 09:05 AM   #2
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
JKA - Welcome to the forum!

Not sure what year you have, but the biggest improvements that justified our trade from a 2003 to 2007 was not only the MorRyde suspension but also the Dexter axles. The trade gave us heavier axles, heavier hubs, 8 lugs, heavier tires, better shackle system (MorRyde), and the ride - WOW. We have far less vibration in the Montana as demostrated by less damage in cabinets, light fixtures, etc. Also towing is much smoother. The only drawback we have seen is the trailer will roll to the side much further than our 2003 did going through the same gutter in the street, primarily due to the longer spring travel offered by the MorRyde.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 09:12 AM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The Mor Ryde suspension (06 3400) combined with the Mor Ryde pin box give us a super smooth ride.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 09:14 AM   #4
jka

M.O.C. #4639
bsmeaton....Thanks for that info...and the welcome.

We have a 2005 2950rk and the rear kitchen has not really been a concern although there have been a very few "mishaps". My wife loves 3000rk and I was just wondering if the MorRyde would smooth things out a little more.

Thanks again.....
Old 08-17-2007, 03:53 PM   #5
gj4040
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7002
We have the 2007 3000RK and initially, when first getting the coach, after a day on the road, we would find two or three cabinet doors standing open when we stopped. After adjusting the latches on said doors, they now stay shut. You have to be careful when first opening the refrig after traveling even though we use three spring tension bars across the openings. We also use the non-slip rubber shelf liner in all our cabinets and everything seems to stay in place.
gj4040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 04:57 PM   #6
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
We had the MOR/ryde Individual Suspension axles put on our 2000 3555RL back in 2003. One of the best investments we made along with the TrailerSaver air ride hitch. The only thing I didn't do is get the 8-lug wheels. Wish I did but the money wasn't there at that time.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 02:29 AM   #7
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Our Cambridge came with the Mor/
Ryde suspension and pin box.
We also have the Trailer Saver air ride hitch, and its a great system. If I were you I would go the extra and get the Mor/Ryde fully independent suspension, and it will go directly to the frame of the 5er and you want have any axles to worry about. We could have gotten the independent suspension while we were haveing the disk brakes installed at the Mor/Ryde company in Elkhart Ind. but we learn from our mistakes. Good Luck with your choice. GBY...

With the above system we don't have to remove anything from our counter tops, like coffee pots and can openers etc.....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 02:30 AM   #8
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
I really think Mor/Ryde is the best investment you can make on your 5er that includes Disk brakes. Its very HOT and DRY here in Tennessee. Send RAIN...... GBY...
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 05:03 AM   #9
blarkman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1977

I find it interesting and frusterating that jka is looking at a certain model WITH A REAR KITCHEN and everyone chimes in but do not have the rear kitchen. I KNOW THIS WILL UPSET SOME OF YOU. I have a 2006, 3000rk and would recommend that it is a 07 model with the 6000# axles and not an 06 with the 5200# axles. Have them put a catch on the drawer under the fridge as it will not say closed and jam under slide. I have ride issues with our 06 model. I would suggest you go back to the start of the posts and there are some positive posts there. I did try a search on the 3000 but must be doing something wrong wrong as could not pull up anything. We took ours to be fixed at Drakes in Pendleton, OR and has been there for six weeks. Montana is fixing all the problems except ride, and that is another issue.
bob
blarkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 05:14 AM   #10
jka

M.O.C. #4639
blarkman.......Thanks for the reply. People are just trying to help...no worries here.

If you wouldn't mind could you elaborate on the ride problems you are having. My wife really likes this floorplan and we are just trying to make sure that we are making the right move.

Thanks again....

Joe and Beth
Old 08-18-2007, 01:46 PM   #11
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Brad -

Are the MorRyde shackles and bolts included standard? I know the pinbox is an option on the Montanas. I think it is standard on the Big Sky. We are weighing all of those in our decision on whether to trade up our 2005 for a 2008. This is going to be an emotional decision, because we love our 3400 and there is nothing wrong with it. It's just the desire to have the benefits in the new rig. A lot of the roads we have been on you get the in-line pulsing that the moryde is really supposed to help prevent.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 01:56 PM   #12
blarkman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1977
We have what I feel is a harsh ride, but remember I have an 06 with 5200# axles We took the unit to Alaska true, but all the problems occoured before we got to Alaska, like from the time we left home to Beaver Creek YT Team montana,all three, say it is not ride but other problems, like weight, road, driving too fast. Montana did replace fridge, counter sink combo and tires on rear axles as well as fixing 20 more odd items. I did have three way call with TM and Morryde and morryde felt as I only weighed 9240 on axles I may be too light for blocks and could provide a lighter block like #12 which shouldbe on the 5200 axles. TM disagrees as their engineers DO NOT MAKE MISTAKES. They assured me they will fix anything thats breaks as long as I do not take my 06 3000 to Alaska. I am going to weight our rig as soon as it is fixed and wil advise I think you will not have the same problems as long as you buy an 07. Feel free to contact me on any questions otherwise we are VERY PLEASED WITH OUR REAR KITCHEN.
BOB
blarkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 06:30 PM   #13
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I added a Mor-Ryde pin box after the Rally in Redmond, OR. I feel it has reduced the "chucking" by about 80%. My next addition will probably be an air hide hitch for the truck.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 08:09 PM   #14
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by rames14

Brad -

Are the MorRyde shackles and bolts included standard? I know the pinbox is an option on the Montanas. I think it is standard on the Big Sky. We are weighing all of those in our decision on whether to trade up our 2005 for a 2008. This is going to be an emotional decision, because we love our 3400 and there is nothing wrong with it. It's just the desire to have the benefits in the new rig. A lot of the roads we have been on you get the in-line pulsing that the moryde is really supposed to help prevent.
I haven't looked at the 2008s, so not sure what is standard. Our 2007 did come with the MorRyde suspension as standard, but just a regular pin box. We upgraded to the 5th airborne after delivery. Keystone has bought out trailair, so I suspect you will start seeing trailair suspension and pin boxes rather than the MorRyde. The only thing I am sure of, is if you wait a month it will change!
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 04:00 PM   #15
Bill and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6958
We have a 2007 3000RK. However it is our first 5th wheel so I don't have anything to compare it to. Those disclaimers/disclosers aside here is my opinion of the 3000RK.

Really like the floor plan. Gets lots of comments from others in our camping groups.

The ride is sometimes rough enough that I cringe as the truck or trailer jerks. That said we have not had much damage. DO put a child safety latch on the drawer under the Fridge. Do line your shelves with the non slip shelf liners. We do use some child safety latches to secure the under the sink doors and the one above the dining room table with alot of stuff in it.

Not ride related but you will not be able to get back into the kitchen without opening the slide up (unless you are a monkey) We can but only because we rotated the table 90 degrees and stow two of the kitchen chairs in the recliners.

I do want to get a upgraded pin box. (thinking 5th airborne sidewinder due to my short bed). also thinking about airbags for the truck.

All in all the ride sounds much worse than the eveidence in the trailer indicates when we arrive at the campground. Some simple upgrades/ precautions and you will enjoy that lovely kitchen.

Bill
Bill and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 08:54 AM   #16
pard
Established Member

M.O.C. #5464
We have a 2007 3000RK and love it. We had a 2001 2880 Montana. The 3000RK with the Moryde pulls so much better dh says he forgets it back there sometimes. The only problem we've had is the drawer below the fridge coming open like others have mentioned and we had to replace the door on the 1/2 time oven.
pard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 10:08 AM   #17
Bill and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6958
Just completed a trip from Va to Florida and back with our 07 3000RK. Just before leaving we installed Firestone riderite airbags on the rear of the truck.....BIG difference in the ride. Much less dramatic movements in the cab of the truck. Still manage to get a harmonic oscillation going from time to time but I am please with what I got for the money I spent on the shocks.

Would still like to eventually get the 5th Airborne Sidewinder as I have a short be on my crew cab and the air deflector I have takes away a few more inches of the clearance I had to the back of the cab.

We did built in vertical divders in the cupboard above the sink, use rubber matting and place a board inside the cabinet that stretches across the opening to prevent things from tumbling out when we first open the door. Probably don't need all that now but we tend to stick with what works as long as it works.

I don't feel that my ride issues are special due to my unit being a RK model. I think I would have had them with any floor plan. In general the ride always affected the truck (and it's occupants) more than the trailer contents (due to the mor ryde suspension IMHO).

Bottom line, I wouldn't recommend anyone against the 07 3000RK due to concerns about damage with the caviat that "as long as they put child safety latches on the drawer under the fridge." If you don't I can almost assure you that it will come open following a hard stop and the slide will tear it up when you put the slide out.

Bill
Bill and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 02:43 PM   #18
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Ron - Rames14, the MorRyde suspension on the Montana is not the fullblown MorRyde suspension. It is the "MorRyde RE" with the RE meaning "Rubber Equalizer." In other words, the middle part, the equalizer, is rubber but the shackles/hangers are the same as before.

That said, I do think our 3400RL with the MorRyde rides better than did our 2003 3295RK with the prior suspension. How much I'm not sure, though.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 04:33 PM   #19
Cyrus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6535
I have a 2006 329RLT Mountaineer that will be a year old next month and today is the first time the dealer has seen it since I bought it. I have pulled it over three thousand miles of which some were on very rough roads, gravel roads & curvy mountain roads and only a couple times have we had a cabinet door come open and nothing moves in the fridge. Some lurching on the truck but 90% of the time there is none. I don't have MorRyde or air bags or fancy hitches. I did replace all the valve stems after two went bad. My dealer, Southern RV has a rally for his customers each year and pays for most of the weekend. He brought his tech’s to the Rally to look at and fix problems for his clients. I do have rubber roof problem, so they told me today, which I will take in for repair.

I have a friend that has a rear kitchen Mountaineer and his cabinets come open and the wooden door panel on the fridge broke the bottom of the frame, not happy with rear kitchen.

Since my Mountaineer is not as expensive or fancy as your Montana’s do you think your problems are a design or material problem? Talking to another Mountaineer owner at dinner tonight and his only complaints are his recliners and the replacements are not any good and the fridge had to be replaced.

Maybe I have just been lucky!
Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 03:32 AM   #20
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We fulltimed for four years and probably 60,000 miles of towing a rear kitchen 2003 3295RK. We broke two dishes in that time. One was a corning ware pan that broke after we stopped and opened a door. It fell out, hit the edge of the counter, and shattered. That can happen no matter where the kitchen is located.

The other, also a corning ware pan, broke while on the road. That was in our early days, before we learned to put a small piece of that rubbery non-skid shelf liner between breakables. Once we did that we had no more problems.

We had no problems with the rear kitchen and would not have a problem with having another.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote