Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-02-2006, 11:20 AM   #1
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Arrival & Departure List

Does anyone have a good Arrival / Departure list that a newbie could use to get started? I know that everyone's list would be different, of course, but a starting point would be great!

Does anyone have a PROPER hitch hookup list. ...I don't want to have the problem of Monty falling on my pickup bed.

We're getting closer!

Thanks,

simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 11:40 AM   #2
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
There are some good links to Check lists on the RV Related links page.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 12:21 PM   #3
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Glenn & Lorraine,

Thanks!

..........and I thought I had looked everywhere!

Still looking for other resouces just in case, don't want to forget something!
Old 07-06-2006, 02:40 AM   #4
Bob Pasternak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #800
Send a message via ICQ to Bob Pasternak
Simonsrf: One thing I forgot to mention in my PM was backing. One way I found, as a driver trainer, was to tell a newbie to put their steering hand in the middle of the bottom of the steering wheel and move it the direction they wanted the back of the trailer to go.
Bob Pasternak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 03:42 AM   #5
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Bob,

That is a great tip....!

......and just in time, sent a PM.

THANK YOU!
Old 07-09-2006, 09:01 AM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Robbie and Alice, you could paint the jaws on the hitch so you can more easily tell they are securely closed around the pin (your comment about dropping onto the box).

I'm not quite a newbie but I still use Bob Pasternak's method for backing. Plus, back verrrry slowly (not a time to be macho) and make very small corrections. If you get too far out of whack, pull back out and try again. That's what I do, anyhow.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 02:02 PM   #7
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
Robie and Alice,
I had always pulled a travel trailer and had been accustomed to pulling to the right to back left and vice versa.
With a fifth wheel it is the opposite, if you are backing to the left pull to the left side of the road so you have room to jacknife into the site.
This is the way I have found it easier to get into a site.

Good luck
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 03:16 PM   #8
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Just got back from our first trip, went from Seattle down to Eugene Oregon to get the Solar panels installed. If anyone is interested in solar, this guy at AMSOLAR know his stuff!....another forum. amsolar.com

Wow, what a learning experience..........and then after driving back to Seattle, had to repark it into a real tight spot!!

Thanks for all the helpful hints for backing, took some patience, from both my wife and myself, but eventually we got it backed in to the orignal spot. Those tricks are keepers, make sure we continue to pass them along to others.

Thank you everyone for your help...now I have a lot more questions, will post elsewhere.