Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-07-2006, 06:06 AM   #21
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
Dave,

I’ll play with whatever works!

Right now, I’d like to see what’s ailing this PC of mine. I’ve had to reinstall Windows XP, (including running all the updates to get me current,) four times in the past two days!

The latest symptoms were truly strange. Windows was booted. I start my session. The PC would shut down and reboot. (Tried Kim’s session and the Administrator’s as well, after mine died that way, but these were the same.)

When it restarted, there was no mention of a Windows Error. No CheckDisk. Nuthin’! Just as though nothing ever happened.

I’m now taking a look at voltages on it. Daring to try to post a few postings and see if it dies. Then to compare voltage readings.

I need this up and running! We’re due to hit the road in a week, and I don’t want to be someplace where I can’t wait for parts to be delivered if I can’t find them locally.

So I’ll ask “the higher power” to put that wish for a second AC on hold.

For now, anyway!

Steve

Montana_1240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 09:10 AM   #22
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Steve, that is typical behavior of a computer which has been infected with one of the "popular" viruses. What anti-virus program are you running? There are "fixes" available for some of these 'worms' or viruses' that cause the shutting down without warning. Let me know if this continues. I may be able to find a couple of those 'fixes' on my hard drive.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 04:57 PM   #23
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
David, (“padredw”)

Well, it’s not a virus or worm. I’ve been up to date with Norton Utilities and Virus scanner forever. And there is nothing found upon a scan.

I’m sort of used to the Blue Screen of Death, because of all the stuff I’ve done with this PC over the years. And each time it chokes, it will either tell me there’s been an error, and ask if I want to send a report to Microsoft, or it’ll do a DiskCheck before booting…Or sometimes both. So when it failed to even burp after shutting down all together, it had me going. That stuff is so like a worm.

It had been doing that before I got the new hard drive. Now that I have the new hard drive, I think I know what might have caused the last three re-installations of Windows.

I had some applications that came with the Motherboard I used on this PC. I don’t believe I ever installed the “PC Health” application, because I knew that the BIOS tells me voltages and temperatures, and Norton SystemWorks tells me the rest of the story for software glitches.

Well, because I felt I needed another couple bells and whistles, I had been putting that application on the PC. Until this latest re-installation. It has been running solidly since the last clean install!

So I may have the situation handled. Thanks.

Now I’m manipulating much of the old software that was on my old hard drive, trying to get it to function on the new Drive C:, without having to re-install it all over…Some is no longer supported with patches, and the existing software has all the patches it needed…Reinstalling wipes out the patches. And I do so hate to play with Windows’ Registry entries!

Dave,

I know that I have all that I could want. I just don’t want Kim to find out, or maybe she’ll deny me a Sonic Drive-In slushy when it’s very hot!

Steve
Montana_1240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 09:58 PM   #24
RVWheels
Moderator Emeritus

M.O.C. #29
A number of posts NOT on topic have been deleted. I left a couple of the off topic posts because they seemed incidental but if you're going to continue the PC topic please take it to another thread. Thanks. RVWheels
RVWheels is offline   Reply With Quote