Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 01-01-2018, 04:33 PM   #1
Castner's
Established Member

M.O.C. #19693
Theater Seating Wall

We have a 2017 3791RD Montana. The wall behind the theater seating has come loose from the wall and now moves. Has anyone had a problem similar to this and if so, how did you fix it? I have had to replace our roller for our pivot door to the bathroom, as the factory never tightened the nut, causing the threads to be stripped and the bolt came out. Other then a few small problems, we love the unit.

Castner's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 05:19 PM   #2
shovelhead86
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10985
I am wondering what you did to correct this? Probably you would have to bring it back to the dealer for them to remove the paneling to resecure it. Please post what you did. We have been looking at a new 3791 and would like to know.
shovelhead86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 08:15 PM   #3
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Generally a slide out is a 5 sided welded aluminum frame with the inside open to the main floor of the camper. Are you saying you can see light between the walls or floor or ... are you saying the paneling has come loose from the inside wall? If so, the paneling is just glued and air nailed on.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 06:21 AM   #4
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
We are full timers and have a 2018 3791RD. We have not had either of the problems you mentioned. I'm guessing that when you set up you haven't been moving the theater seating forward a couple of inches. If the back is against the "wall" behind the seat when someone reclines it will push against the wall and could cause it to come loose over time. Again, this is a guess. I saw it as a potential problem right after we got ours and 2 of my grandsons were "trying out" the theater seating recliners. Now I always move ours forward about 2" after putting slides out.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 08:24 AM   #5
speedster100
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17566
I have the 2015 3790RD and yes just noticed this issue about 2 months ago. I pulled the chairs out of the way and had a good look at the problem areas. The wall is secured with screws that go into the wall from the floor (inside the cabinet access in the kitchen) up to the top of the short wall. First step was pulling out the old broken screws (3 broken off), I then took out the ones in the cabinet area and replaced them with larger #12 screws coated with some PL200. I then took the small corner strip that was in the corner on the (living room side floor to top of the wall) I then made up a new oak strip that was wider, pre drilled it applied PL 200 to the end of the wall and to the new strip and applied several new #12 screws, to both the RV wall and to the short wall. I then installed a new oak strip with PL 200 to the floor & short wall behind the theatre seats and installed some of the original screws to hold it. You just have to pull the carpet back a bit to apply the new strip. Ensured I pre drilled each hole for the screws. This new strip on the floor is screwed solidly into the aluminum frame so it should help secure the wall along with the PL200. For my own piece of mind I also made a short 8 inch long 3/4 X 3/4 inch oak strip (stained same/close colour) to the wall and installed it on the kitchen side of the wall about half way up. Secured it with PL 200 and #12 screws as well. Let it all set and dry for 48hrs and then pushed on the wall from the living room side as hard as I could and it is solid and doesn't move. It's been almost 2 months since repair, we are sitting at an RV park in Florida and all seems to be good. I would post some pic's but the internet connection is very limited for uploads and thus pretty much impossible to do so. All & all a relatively easy repair.... and way better than I suspect they would have done on warranty... We did purchase extended full coverage when we bought but I figured I could fix it better myself as I have many different things since purchase. It's an RV so I expect to make regular maintenance repairs, the warranty is for large problems like a fridge, frame or suspension etc issues....
speedster100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 09:54 AM   #6
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
One more thing to watch for now. My recliners seem to be attached to the floor as they do not move and do not come near the wall. Maybe missed by that bullet.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 01:11 PM   #7
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
Our '16 3790RD had the wall pull away as well. That part was repaired when the unit went back to the factory to have the broken frame repaired in the left front nose. I had thought we were the only ones to have this problem until I saw this. I was told that there was a backing plate welded into the wall that the guys putting the wall in missed with the screws. I have no idea if this is really true as they told me quite a bit that wasn't true when ours went back. Our dealer attempted the repair they sent out at first, but that didn't hold the next trip. Maybe since then they've come out with a way to repair it. Good luck.
Old 01-02-2018, 03:03 PM   #8
speedster100
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17566
Might be a backer plate, don't know on ours the screws broke off at the top and or pulled out. As I indicated I replaced with bigger stronger screws and also stronger corner plates and added one on the other side that wsan't there but in my opinion needed to be as most of the force is on that side. I don't expect any further issues, the PL200 would likely have held it on its own but with screws and PL200 it is as solid as it can get without tearing the wall apart and installing a plate....
Old 08-26-2020, 06:13 AM   #9
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
Following...
I know this is an older thread, but our 3791RD is at the dealer for warranty repairs right now, one of which is the same thing. They said they found that a wire in the wall had a screw through it that feeds the outlet behind the theater seats and the two outlets on either side of the TV, and the fire place. I suspect their "repair" will not be a good one, so I intend to do something like speedster100 did. Any chance you know what stain you used to match the darker gray color of the cabinetry?
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 06:34 AM   #10
speedster100
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17566
No sorry, I do know it was a small tin of Min-wax or similar that had the stain & poly urethane included. Applied Two coats..... We traded in the 3790RD this summer on a 3120 as we put a down payment on a Park Model in our Florida Park last February so we figured we didn't need the big unit as we weren't going to be in it 5 months straight. The wall was still holding strong, better than new. I've spent at least 3 full days since bringing home the 3120 fixing alot of things, had to reinforce various areas, take apart some components and reapply new sealant as they missed spots. Realign fridge door as it leaked water due to leaking door seals which then caused the cheap press board to swell and the glue on wood grain to peel off which then had to be fixed... Lets just say it is like started over again... Lots of silicone, a brad nailer and PL200, self tapping screws & various hand tools are in the RV at all times as it never seems to stop.
Old 08-26-2020, 06:38 AM   #11
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
I feel your pain. I carry so much tools, spare parts and miscellaneous stuff it seems like a full time job keeping up with the repairs. Nature of the beast, I suppose.
So the Minwax was a standard stain? IOW, you didn't mix various stains to get the result you had? I think I'll remove a small door or trim piece and take it to HD or Lowe's to try and find a match. Thanks for the quick reply and good luck on the repairs.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 06:56 AM   #12
speedster100
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17566
I took one of the broken, particle board pieces with me that had the glue on wood grain/colour to the store and used the example colour display board to get as close as I could. My wife and I were the only ones that noticed it wasn't an exact match, no one else paid any attention nor did they notice the extra pieces installed on the kitchen side of the wall. After a while we never seen the differences either as you forget about it and are thankful its fixed properly. I will say whomever buys the 3790 we traded should be pretty good to go, new suspension parts, all the trim, skirting, check valves, sewage valves, leaking black tank & grey etc etc etc are all fixed and/or replaced.