Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 08-26-2017, 10:08 PM   #1
Pocketlake1
Established Member

M.O.C. #18705
Battery not charged

We have a 2015 HM318RE. Having some issues and in checking the display panel it shows our battery, which is only 3 months old, and a deep cycle, as being discharged. The battery connections are tight. The battery disconnect "key" by the water hookup is turned to "on", which I sure thought meant the battery was connected, so would be continually charged while connected to shore power, which it is. Voltage readings on the 50A service show 121 volts, so that seems fine. The Keystone owners manual reference to Battery Disconnect pretty much simply refers me to www.intellitic.com, but that is not a valid working URL. I tried www.intellitec.com and it appears that is correct, but can't find anything specific regarding the disconnect key under their RV products section. "On" would be the correct mode to insure the battery should be getting charged?

Coincidentally (which i rarely believe), when we turn on the living room 12V lights (turns on 3 lights) i hear the converter come on and stay on, but not the case when turning on other individual lights. All the 12V lights work regardless of the key setting.

Any simple checks to try and figure out why the battery is not charging properly? Perhaps related to a converter issue?

Thanks for any suggestions

Pocketlake1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 10:40 PM   #2
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
This very issue was recently discussed. The Disconnect Key is confusing. Check here particularly post #5 which addresses the key position. Other debugging thoughts are also in the thread.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 06:52 AM   #3
navybanker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10884
Okay, confused again, which is not hard. Went to put slides out and they wouldn't move. Checked connections and found no noticeable problem. Turned the red disconnect key to "on" and slides worked. Now read that is not correct that I actually turned the batteries off to the coach. Realize monitors are still receiving power. Which is it! Thanks

2017 Montana 3611
2012 Chevy 2500
navybanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 06:54 AM   #4
Pocketlake1
Established Member

M.O.C. #18705
Thanks, i did find the post you referenced after posting mine. Should have searched more before posting. Verified "on" position for the disconnect key has the battery connected. I can't remove the key in on position. I checked all connections except at converter. Will get to that when we get home. Strange the control panel shows the battery at 1/3 charge, but when i put a meter on the battery itself, it is at 13.V, so fully charged. still suspect the converter may be the problem. Will probably end up taking the rig into a service center to get a comprehensive examination of all the low voltage components. Believe it's probably having an effect on the cooling of our refrig as well, so several issues. Appreciate you input
Ken
Old 08-27-2017, 11:44 AM   #5
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
A few years ago when I installed the 80 amp breaker for the hydraulic system, I was checking the connections in the front compartment where the batteries and the hydraulic pump is located, and discovered almost all the 12 volt connections were loose, maybe not to the arcing point, but not far from causing problems. You may want to check all the connections in there that you can see. It would also be a good idea to tighten all the connections, 12 volt and 120 volt in the breaker/fuse panel, because that will cause problems too if you have them loose. Just make sure you have the 120 volt power to the rig disconnected. You can tighten the 12 volt screws while that is energized, just be careful. Don't know if this will solve the problem, but it is still a good thing to have done.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 03:53 PM   #6
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
If you are referring to the simple led lights system on the panel that indicates tanks and battery levels, then don't believe it at any time. Cheap piece of junk. Voltmeter reading on battery tells you converter is working and charging battery.
jcurtis934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 01:05 PM   #7
Pocketlake1
Established Member

M.O.C. #18705
Thanks Bob and Becky, will be continuing to test connections today, and educating myself on converters as well.
jcurtis, yes it was the panel reading and agree cheap piece of junk. the battery is fully charged when testing with meter...
Old 08-28-2017, 03:35 PM   #8
RV6A
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19552
Quote:
Originally Posted by carl n susan View Post
This very issue was recently discussed. The Disconnect Key is confusing. Check here particularly post #5 which addresses the key position. Other debugging thoughts are also in the thread.
Everybody's brain works a little different. I see the battery disconnect switch as battery is ON-line or battery is OFF-line.

I think the switch should be labeled "Battery" and not "Battery Disconnect". I think that would help with the confusion.
RV6A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 12:50 PM   #9
cw3jason
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17256
Very simple, If you can pull the key out, your battery is off or disconnected.
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote