Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Boon-docking
Click Here to Login

Old 01-31-2014, 12:29 PM   #1
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Any new ideas out there?

Most all of us have a 50gal black tank, 93 gallons in grey tanks and 66 gal fresh water tank. Moving the rig every couple weeks to dump it is one answer, using a blue boy is another, but the blue boy has issues. The wheels were never intended to go anywhere for long, you probably need a macerator and you have to make at least two trips every time. Dragging the Monty to the dump seems an easy answer unless you have art and decorator things all over the place then packing up to pull in the slides can be quite a process. Does anyone have a better way to do this?

DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 01:00 PM   #2
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
I try to always camp where I have sewer hook ups
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 02:28 PM   #3
Sheepdog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10354
At Quartzite, we just called the "Honey Sucker" girls with the pumper truck!
Sheepdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 03:08 PM   #4
jswharton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10100
I installed a Tankman system in the bed of the truck. It has 2tanks, one fresh and one black/grey. Both hold about 70 gallons. The fresh is fairly straight forward, fill and then back at the Monty I use a spare water pump and fill the tank. I wired a plug that fits into the truck. One hose from Tankman to the pump, then I run it thru the portable filters into the Monty tank.

The grey/black does take a macerator. There is a controller box which is about 4" cube that has 12 volt power that is then connected to macerator and has a line to a float in theTankman. When the black needs dumping, after the tank is empty, I run the black flush for just a couple minutes, then close it up and then dump the grey. The system shuts down when the Tankman is full. Oh I have a twist on valve on the discharge pipe and the macerator connected to it.

Start to finish takes about an hour and half to fill the fresh and empty the grey/black. Works great and sure beats moving the Monty. The black Tankman has a gravity discharge, just drive to the dump station and 5 minutes and 70 gallons are gone!

I think the guy stopped making them. Here is a link that describes the system. http://strollingamok.wordpress.com/2...e-tankmin-360/

jswharton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 03:23 PM   #5
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I gotta go with LC on this one. DW would not even remotely consider a campsite that does not have full hookups and 50 amp power. In other words, I cannot help a bit with your query since I am severely limited with regards to any possibility of boondocking in the near future. I am not giving up, but so far, I have not managed to sway her any on the subject.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 03:27 PM   #6
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Understand, If Mom's not happy______
Old 01-31-2014, 03:34 PM   #7
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jswharton

I installed a Tankman system in the bed of the truck. It has 2tanks, one fresh and one black/grey. Both hold about 70 gallons. The fresh is fairly straight forward, fill and then back at the Monty I use a spare water pump and fill the tank. I wired a plug that fits into the truck. One hose from Tankman to the pump, then I run it thru the portable filters into the Monty tank.

The grey/black does take a macerator. There is a controller box which is about 4" cube that has 12 volt power that is then connected to macerator and has a line to a float in theTankman. When the black needs dumping, after the tank is empty, I run the black flush for just a couple minutes, then close it up and then dump the grey. The system shuts down when the Tankman is full. Oh I have a twist on valve on the discharge pipe and the macerator connected to it.

Start to finish takes about an hour and half to fill the fresh and empty the grey/black. Works great and sure beats moving the Monty. The black Tankman has a gravity discharge, just drive to the dump station and 5 minutes and 70 gallons are gone!

I think the guy stopped making them. Here is a link that describes the system. http://strollingamok.wordpress.com/2...e-tankmin-360/

Your right, that's sort of what I was looking for and yes it doesn't seem to exist anymore.
Old 01-31-2014, 06:58 PM   #8
davidaf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13601
I have a blue tote but 20g just isn't enough. I like that tank man but even if it were available i need the bed to be open w/o anything installed save for the hitch which uninstalls and leaves the bed clear. i have a slide in camper so i don't want to uninstall a tool box or anything like that. I'd really like a big square tank that'll hold about 60g for gray alone. I don't need to dump my black all that often when dry camping. But the gray is another story. Just ran across the fol-da-tank (http://www.fol-da-tank.com) not sure what they cost for a 100g one.
davidaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 03:27 AM   #9
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Under frac tanks they show a fresh water and a grey water version, but my guess is the reason they don't make a black water version is now way to clean it out completely. Plus I can just imagine over time the sun getting to it or a sharp object in my bed getting to it and having a 70gal superfund site in the bed of my truck.
Old 02-01-2014, 04:20 AM   #10
Ramblin Roadrunners
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7616
Send a message via MSN to Ramblin Roadrunners
How about using a Port-a-poti with the detachable bottom black tank. You have to empty it every couple of days. It can be emptied into a regular toilet and flushed. It can be emptied into a blue tank. It can be emptied at a dump station. I used one for 15 years with my 5er that I never moved and was parked. It was very easy to use, operate and clean.
Ramblin Roadrunners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 10:38 AM   #11
catskiner
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9253
You might find something at www.plastic-mart.com and then mount it on a hitch carrier.
catskiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 05:29 PM   #12
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Thanks, there are some interesting ideas there.
Old 02-08-2014, 12:00 PM   #13
Overlord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11202
I have heard that some folks solve this problem by boon-docking exclusively at Wal-Mart and simply dump at midnight in the parking lot, storm drain, or landscaping. Some people are just disgusting, aren't they?!

I think the simplest solution for me is to pull up stakes, and drag the 5er to a dump station. We can generally go a couple weeks between dumps, and are usually ready for a change in scenery anyway.
Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 11:16 AM   #14
Mel B.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19469
Black water

Last year we stayed for a month on our property in Washington near Canada. This was our last trip with that old RV we sold it and bought our first Montana 5th wheel when we got home. So last summer I left the toilet for my wife Shelley, We have a lot of acres so I carried a shovel a lot. Gray water was great I had a long hose and watered what will someday be my front yard. Fresh water same thing I do whenever I dry camp. My fresh water tank in the RV was 30 gallons and I carry a 35 gallon tank of water in the back of my truck. I bought a 12 volt water pump at Harbor Freight I pull the truck next to the fill side, hook the one hose in the barrel one in the the tank fill. Takes maybe 15 minutes after pumping starts. This year we'er hoping to stay two maybe even three months. So I'll be putting a 300 gallon tank up hill from our Monty so the water will gravity feed. As for the black water tank, I'm not moving the 5th wheel every time it's full. So yesterday I spoke to a contractor up there that cut in about 1400' of road for us last August. So he's going to dig my hole for the septic tank and dig the trenches then shelley and I will do all the plumbing and then he will come back and back fill everything. And that will be the end of the black water, Infact I'll install plenty of extra Clean outs for guests.