Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 01-20-2006, 08:38 AM   #261
Montana_5172

M.O.C. #5172
RE: 2005 Dometic Heater Problem; Since I have posted my message in mid Jan. '06 I have contacted Keystone and the dealer where I purchased my Montana (Mike Thompson RV). The sales manager there is being very heopful. It appears he has changed out one or more of these units for the one found in the 2006 model.
I will post the final resolution to the problem when I get it solved.
jones86

Montana_5172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 05:54 PM   #262
Montana_5204

M.O.C. #5204
There's hope! I have an '05 2980RL & it came with the wireless thermo. It took 8 months, countless phone calls & visits to 4 different Montana dealers, but after 7 months of them telling me it was normal for a thermo to be 10 degrees off (set it at 75 to get 65), and telling me to use the "feels like" button, and telling me that the 18 degree heating cycle (the thermo didn't kick the heat on until it was 5 to 8 degrees below the setting & then ran until it was 10 degrees over the setting, so you were always freezing of frying!) was normal, I finally talked to Del Camino RV in Longmont, CO, and bless 'em, they called dometic again & they all agreed it was definitely not normal. they replaced the whole thing. They had to put a new control unit in the AC & a new wall mounted thermostat, and now it works great. It cycles on & off just like a real thermo attached to a real furnace or AC. So, keep after 'em! B.C.
Montana_5204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 06:26 AM   #263
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
I just got a call from Dometic regarding an email I sent them over the weekend regarding the infamous "remote thermostat".

Last year they denied my request for replacement with the CCC, I thought I would give it one more shot and here is what they said today. They will be sending all the parts to my dealer for replacement at no charge. He said normally they would not do this first, they would relocate the receiving unit where it belongs on the ceiling? I told them I don't want holes in the wall of the new Montana. He said don't worry the five button unit CCC will cover it well.

Interestingly he blamed the problem on Keystone for improper installation on Montans's and Cougars? I asked for some details. He said that the receiver belongs on the ceiling by the a/c duct. He further stated that Keystone had three options for proper location of the receiver and the current location on the wall was not acceptable. The current receiver unit also has two buttons for default a/c and heating in case the remote doesn't work. So you would have to somehow reach to the ceiling if the remote did not work?

So I wonder who is right here?

I just thought I would share this with the group, I will be happy to have it fixed. Again we see the power of this forum!

Happy Camping
RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 06:47 AM   #264
mazeeff
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2055
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by RKassl

I just got a call from Dometic regarding an email I sent them over the weekend regarding the infamous "remote thermostat".

Last year they denied my request for replacement with the CCC, I thought I would give it one more shot and here is what they said today. They will be sending all the parts to my dealer for replacement at no charge. He said normally they would not do this first, they would relocate the receiving unit where it belongs on the ceiling? I told them I don't want holes in the wall of the new Montana. He said don't worry the five button unit CCC will cover it well.

Interestingly he blamed the problem on Keystone for improper installation on Montans's and Cougars? I asked for some details. He said that the receiver belongs on the ceiling by the a/c duct. He further stated that Keystone had three options for proper location of the receiver and the current location on the wall was not acceptable. The current receiver unit also has two buttons for default a/c and heating in case the remote doesn't work. So you would have to somehow reach to the ceiling if the remote did not work?

So I wonder who is right here?

I just thought I would share this with the group, I will be happy to have it fixed. Again we see the power of this forum!

Happy Camping
What a joke. As I have stated before, humans do NOT live on the ceilings of our trailers. If you mount the unit on the ceiling, your trailer will be ice cold in the winter, since heat rises and collects on the ceiling. A thermostat is mounted at human level in order to properly adjust the temperture where we live at! The problem is that the remote is made by a different company and was never intended to be used with a Dometic unit. I spoke with the designers that designed the remote, and they were shocked to hear that Dometic was using it.
mazeeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 08:08 AM   #265
Montana_5036
Established Member

M.O.C. #5036
I don't buy that, the Cougar we had just prior to puchasing out Montana had the remote located on the ceiling near the air conditioner and still had the same problems.
Montana_5036 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 09:50 AM   #266
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
Look guys, I am just passing on this info for other Montana Owners who may have my same issue. I really don't care who is right or wrong..JUST FIX IT!
Old 02-20-2006, 10:17 AM   #267
mazeeff
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2055
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by RKassl

Look guys, I am just passing on this info for other Montana Owners who may have my same issue. I really don't care who is right or wrong..JUST FIX IT!
Don't take our comments the wrong way. Our hostility is clearly with Dometic/Keystone, and not with you!
mazeeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 11:23 AM   #268
Montana_3440

M.O.C. #3440
Have had the same problem. We just finally decided to go with it. If we want it to be 65 at night, I just put it on about 72 or so. The same in the summer. My wife puts the AC on 84 and I wake up cold. Still beats some other life styles.

Wendell
Montana_3440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 12:21 PM   #269
Phil Poindexter
Established Member

M.O.C. #4125
As info, the only thing that goes on the ceiling is the "computer" box which installs in the A/C. The thermostat control is on the wall--over by our refrigerator.
We finally (under warranty) got them all, Keystone and Dometic to replace the remote system with the CCC. Now it works just fine!!! You want 73 degrees, it comes on at 73 degrees and off at around 73 or 74.

Have not tried the A/C side yet as it's been way to chilly here. I bet it will be fine too!

Good luck to you all.

Phil
Phil Poindexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 03:20 PM   #270
BigBlue
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #109
Phil
There is a thermostat in the "computer" box. It's the default when the remote can't talk to the control unit.
BigBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 06:26 AM   #271
Phil Poindexter
Established Member

M.O.C. #4125
Jim:
OKeedokee. I was reading that some folks thought the thermostat control should be mounted on the ceiling. That would be foolish. What's in the box is way beyond me. All I know is that my remote had a real difficult time communicating accurately with anything.

Have a great day.

Phil
Phil Poindexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 03:07 PM   #272
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
One more remote thermostat bites the dust. It's been a long eleven months with the remote since I pulled the Monty off the lot, but finally was able to get the CCC remote installed yesterday. Checked it out today and it is a great improvement, works like a thermostat should
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 04:58 PM   #273
cs413
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3354
Yes Sir - one less headache!! Had the Monty 10 months until replaced last month. Set it at 72 and it stays at 72. Almost forgot what that was like. Sure makes a difference.

Curt
cs413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 11:42 PM   #274
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
My dealer said our parts came in from Dometic yesterday, can't wait to hvae that remote changed out. What's intresting is thast last year Dometic would not help me, this year it will be replace, go figure.
Old 03-02-2006, 10:04 AM   #275
wswebster
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1249
Same for us. Dealer called and CCC is in and will replace next week. Our first call was in Sept. Didn't know what we we're talking about. Had the husband stop in at dealer had a heart to heart with them, also mentioned we're MOC'ers and it was like a miracle, they now know about the problem and are more than willing to fix. It's nice to know being involved with the MOC has some pull.
And I'd like to thank everyone involved in this topic, I believe it helped resolve and get rid of the CRAPPY REMOTE!
wswebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 04:19 PM   #276
rvfirefighter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5314
Diddo on getting rid of the remote thermostat. Happened today and what a relief. Set it, forget it. Nice to have something that works like it's supposed to work. Now if I can get this QR-3000 to work. No volume, dealer could not answer why or how to fix it. Anyone have any answers? Thanks
rvfirefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 03:08 AM   #277
rlwhit
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3189
Looks like someone finally got the message. Our remote is also going to the junk pile. Dealer called yesterday and gave us the good news. After 11 months with no help on this issue this is great news. Monty is at dealers getting all repaired on Keystones nickel.
rlwhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 05:08 PM   #278
jrjones
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4858
Now its my turn. My wife and I bought our 2980RL in October and took it out once over night to check it out. We stayed in Eugene wet but not to cold. I had not got got familier with the remote heater in one night or did I know about the problems.
seemed ok. Thenour next trip was to Palm Springs, Quartzsite, Vegas to Reno then Home. All was well till we hit Reno and 28 degrees. There was about a 14 deg. swing from heater off to heater on. But you all know about that. Well Thanks to you guys and the snow melting so I could get the Montana out I took it to the dealer loaded with 14 pages of discussions on the subject and a nice Email from the heater mfgr. They checked it out. So Now I get it changed for nothing to the CCC thermostat.
Thank you very much for all the info!
jrjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 06:44 PM   #279
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
jrjones,
Glad to hear your remote thermostat is being replaced and taken care of. Nothing better than a company who stands behind their products.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 06:20 AM   #280
kwbosch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3237
Out of curiosity, do the remotes go bad in time or are they bad from the start. Mine seems to work as it should (knock on wood).

Ken
kwbosch is offline   Reply With Quote