Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-22-2013, 08:30 AM   #1
subra1228
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10766
fan blade

Hi,
We broke a fan blade when one of us (who will remain nameless) put in the slide without looking. Anyone know where we could purchase just one matching blade? The information from the manufacturer (Intercoastal - Hugger) isn't helpful.
Thanks!

subra1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:07 AM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
HUH? My fan blades are high enough they clear the slides at all times and I've never worried about this. Do your fan blades have to be in a certain position to close the slides? Maybe the real problem is the fan assembly is hanging too low.

If you can get up there and get the name, model, color scheme and blade length we can help with internet searching or a member can help you with a contact. Otherwise you'll be buying all new blades so they match.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:14 AM   #3
nosticks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10378
One more thing on the fan blades. When my 2010 was new, first few trips out, one of the blades came loose and was flopping around. The problem was that the screws holding the blades were loose, in fact two fell out. Upon scouring the floor, I found them both. Removed all screws and reinserted with loctite. No more problems. Could that possibly be what happened to you. Can't imaging the blades have to be in a certain position before closing the slides.
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:18 AM   #4
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Lowes, Home Depot, or Menards sells aftermarket fan blades in sets ... at least I think they are in sets as I've seen the packages while browsing. Your quickest and best bet is to just replace with a set of your liking ... slim chance of finding your particular paddle. Or you could be lucky and have someone here offer a paddle from maybe an upgrade.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:21 AM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Loose fan blades are a regular problem. In addition the originals on our rig aren't the best and do sag a little. We're going to replace them soon, just can't make up our mind on color. You can buy them anywhere even on Amazon, but I'd go to the big box stores and that way you can get one's that work the best for you here's an idea of what they have: http://www.lowes.com/Search=ceiling+fan+blades?storeId=10151&langId=-1&catalogId=10051&N=0&newSearch=true&Ntt=ceiling+f an+blades#!

Diesel guy and I punched in at the same time, but you get the idea and they don't cost a whole lot. I'd go for the Hunter Tropical ones
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:32 AM   #6
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
Our fan is in the back of the RV and the bounce going down the road makes our blades move downwards. We push them up every so often after eating up a blade with door side slide. The other slide has higher clearance. We bought 5 blades from Menards and changed them out. So now we have 1 to spare. We to put the lock tite on the screws but the blades do move downward and it does not take much before they are in the way.
cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 01:24 PM   #7
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
I put locktite on mine when we got it new. Thanks to the MOC experts! No loosening or broken blades .
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 02:29 AM   #8
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
I am sitting here looking at our fan and trying to imagine how my slides could come into contact with it. Not possible unless something on the fan is loose and allowing the fan or fan blades to sag.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 03:17 AM   #9
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
I had the two screws come loose on a blade 4 years ago. Closed the slide and broke the blade. I replaced the blade with a blade from the service center. The fan is made and positioned so it will not interfere with the slides. If your blades come in contact with the slides, you have more of a problem than just a loose screw.
By the way, my fan is also located in the rear ceiling too.
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:11 AM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Never thought about loose screws on the fan blades but I am now, The blades on our 06 3400 never came loose and they are high enough that I do not see how they can hit anything both on the 06 and this 13.There were enough loose screws on both these things to check the fan blades also.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:00 AM   #11
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
We have very little clearance on the door side slide. It's less than a inch on a good day. Seriously!
cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:20 AM   #12
subra1228
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10766
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DQDick

Loose fan blades are a regular problem. In addition the originals on our rig aren't the best and do sag a little. We're going to replace them soon, just can't make up our mind on color. You can buy them anywhere even on Amazon, but I'd go to the big box stores and that way you can get one's that work the best for you here's an idea of what they have: http://www.lowes.com/Search=ceiling+fan+blades?storeId=10151&langId=-1&catalogId=10051&N=0&newSearch=true&Ntt=ceiling+f an+blades#!

Diesel guy and I punched in at the same time, but you get the idea and they don't cost a whole lot. I'd go for the Hunter Tropical ones
Perfect, Dick - thanks! We have the blades, now just a little elbow grease and we're all set.
Old 08-04-2013, 05:49 PM   #13
Wheelhouse
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11462
I am certainly glad I am not the only one to experience this. On our trip I noticed the blade sagging and knew what to do, just not in time. We started closing up and my wife called out while I was breaking down from our stay. I knew what happened, ugh. She informed me she heard a crackling sound from the living room. The fan mounting bracket bent, and needed to be reshaped. Now off to Home Depot for new blades and fan arm mounts. Those also bent.
Wheelhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 01:11 AM   #14
subra1228
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10766
Hey Wheelhouse - HD didn't have the fan blades, but Lowe's did, so you may need to try there. You'll see that there is one hole already drilled in each blade (they come in packs of 5, so for us, we had a practice piece), so you'll need to drill (rather large) holes to line-up with the existing hardware. Granted I observed from the lounge chair , but it looked like easy-going for Brad. It was done in less than half-an-hour and all looks great - even better than before!
~Suzanne
Old 08-05-2013, 07:50 AM   #15
sambam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13166
Mine is close to the slide also, but clears. I did have a screw fall out causing the fan to make noise on the last trip. I found it and replaced it, at the same time checking the rest. They were all slightly loose. I think the locktite is a great idea.

2010 Montana 3455SA, Mor/Ryde pin, wet bolts, TST 507, Progressive HW50C, GY G614
2019 Silverado D/A 3500HD LTZ DRW CC
B&W Companion
sambam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 01:08 AM   #16
bobsals
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10232
Yup, me too. Found a screw on the floor under the fan. Took the cheap Chinese screw to the hardware store and got 9 replacement screws and changed them all. No Loctite, just better quality screws and no problem since. Oh, the 9th was for WHEN I lost one.
bobsals is offline   Reply With Quote