Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-16-2009, 05:32 PM   #1
electryc_monk
Established Member

M.O.C. #9362
Send a message via Yahoo to electryc_monk
Dometic refer fun...

when we got back from our first real run with the Monty we noticed it wasn't cooling good on cleanout day... then i realized it had a wierd odor, then saw the sulfur color... :>( then foundout cost of whole new fridge...(choked) then went to the university of google to see what could be done for troubleshooting it... found a unit via craigslist but, it was the wrong size (too short)...
then ran across rvicebox.com (ummm I paid $480 plus shipping for the whole coil setup direct swap out and they paid for core return shipment).

well got it installed and started up only to have the glee a install finally done (picture parade to be uploaded later)....

discovered from a troubleshooting effort using my ole noggin...

found out that sometimes the solenoid valve will get clogged, and in cleaning and disassembly I feared I may have slightly broke the little shutoff screw.... so hunted for a replacement...

tangent alert?
found a site with free downloads of what I'll assume is all dometic and norcold(?) service manuals and part numbers listed in each manual.

case in point for our Dometic 2852 model the link was www.aaarvnet/921146003.htm
careful when you edit that page in your browser... sometimes browsers don't like jumping back to main pages from links like this.... (play at your own risk) :>)

i then used a couple rv retailers for price *wakeup calls* for this lil brass block with a solenoid on it....
the folks in Everett, WA want $115.26 for this puppy
the folks at PPL in Houston,Tx want slightly more $139.41

So now I'm gonna have a visit to a couple local RV folks around here in the DFW area and see what they'll offer up as a *good price*...

Now /end of tangent

IF this little solenoid is a problem that I'll be fixing and she fires up and works great for this weekend then COOOLBEANNNSSSS; if not, then hmmm maybe the board will need testing too huh?

I'm thinking of going into at least one of the local shops and seeing if they can test the fridge mainboard as well... after all its only a few screws and a detailed picture of all wires connected then yank and go....

night night folks.
suggestions?

electryc_monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 05:44 PM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Something minor to keep in mind: Norcold and Dometic are the same companies. I think Dometic owns Norcold (or maybe vice versa), but they are both home-based in a Scandinavian country. They each have several factories around the world but I have a feeling they are contract manufacturers because I have heard these factories make goods for many other unrelated companies' products.

Why am I telling you this? Because when I had a problem with a Dometic and they were taking their sweet time about fixing it, I threatened to convert to Norcold and all I got was a smile and a response of "but we're the same company". I considered violence but took a deep breath instead. I kept my patience and waited the 7 weeks to get it fixed. Good thing I was not full-timing.

Good luck with your adventure.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 07:08 PM   #3
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
When ours goes out I think I will go to a house type AC unit and add a small inverter.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 08:58 PM   #4
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
We just went through the agony of a refrigerator problem. I know nothing beyond the on off switch so we took it to a shop. Wala, $850 later it was cold again.

The next trailer we buy will have a house type frige in it. We seldom boondock so that is what we will be looking for. I believe they are called destination trailers. They come with all the holding tanks and fresh water tank. Only the frige is different.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 02:06 AM   #5
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Art, I think someone was pulling your string. Norcold is owned by Thetford. From their site: [Headquartered in Ann Arbor, Michigan, Thetford markets its products through a number of national and international distribution systems, including Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEMs), Wholesale Distributors (WDs) and a full range of national retail outlets.]
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 06:59 PM   #6
electryc_monk
Established Member

M.O.C. #9362
Send a message via Yahoo to electryc_monk
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by clutch

We just went through the agony of a refrigerator problem. I know nothing beyond the on off switch so we took it to a shop. Wala, $850 later it was cold again.

The next trailer we buy will have a house type frige in it. We seldom boondock so that is what we will be looking for. I believe they are called destination trailers. They come with all the holding tanks and fresh water tank. Only the frige is different.
(smirks) you know I've seen those "not-so-heavy" fridges in person before, a friend in the dorms bought one...stood just over 5' tall and had a real freezer too! IT weigh'd well, compared to the ones we have in the stickbuilt homes its LIGHT.

OKAY the solenoid valve was shot as was the coolant frame....
installed the frame exactly as the instructions say & show... emailed the guy and called him (honest help and good help).
Alas Now its time to call him err, scratch that -email him- After writing this thread reply about what I've attempted and tried and tested...

* Got a IR temp gun (NICE TOY!)
* replaced the solenoid, valve for $129 in person had it in hand this morning. Could of had it for $107(7 day order) but, would not of had fridge for this weekend. LEt alone testing it today.

* reinstalled the solenoid,valve (as per manual) cycled when "Check" Light came on [cycled it at least -7 times before I heard it ignite and stay on)

*let run on propane for 45 odd minutes before temp prob testing....
back wall of freezer was in high 20's IIRC
- in nearly 2 hours back wall was at 15.2*F cieling was 19-22*F and floor of freezer was lower 20's; fridge aluminum plate was 83-79.4*F after those 2 odd hours.

* two days ago (as of today)left it plugged in on AC only for several hours before checking on it... it was starting to cool that night(as I was going to bed soon) some 3-4 hrs after turning it on. Did not use temp IR unit then...oh well. Nextt lunchtime the freezer was kinda luke warmish, fridge was hot!.

* started re-researching for the two (thinks to self "was it really two or just that one site?) Anywho...

now I'm getting super tired...
electryc_monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 07:11 AM   #7
bigbob7777
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3701
Send a message via AIM to bigbob7777
I just replaced mine with this LG model: LRBP1031W, 10cf. It has a bottom freezer (3 drawers and the only one like it we found). The wife loves the bottom freezer. I also painted it black to match the appliances. Can't figure out why it only comes in white and titanium.

bob
bigbob7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 12:08 PM   #8
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Thanks slickwillie.... I'll have to check that ownership out. I was told that and was so shocked I didn't look it up. I should have known better.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote