Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-26-2006, 04:35 PM   #1
Bill DeMeulle
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2740
help for tow truck

the question is: a 2002 ford f-250 gas crewcab 8'bed, 16K Reese hitch
with airbags, 2 add'l springs, GearVender over under transmission, Banks Powerpak, be able to pull a Cambridge ? I'm being offered a really good deal !
Bill

Bill DeMeulle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 04:38 PM   #2
Bill DeMeulle
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2740
I also have a 4.30 rearend
Bill
Old 04-26-2006, 06:53 PM   #3
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
Look at the rating on your rear tires. The Pin weight on our Cambridge is 3800 pounds loaded -- probably over 3000 unloaded. Run your truck over a scales and then add 3000 to 3800 pounds to the rear axle weight. If this is over your tire capacity it is a dangerous combination. If it is over your your rear axle gross rating (posted on the door pillar), it is not safe. Finally, the Cambridge gross weight rating is 16900 pounds. I don't think it is reasonable to stay within this rating. At any rate, this weight must be added to your truck weight and compared to the combined gross weight rating for your truck. I don't believe it will fit.

We had a 2500HD GMC and felt it necerssary to trade to a heavier hauler after we got thye Cambridge.

Now here's a thought. If the deal is good enough, buy it and trade for a new ride. Best of all worlds -- no doubt....
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 11:31 PM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Your best advise comes from the Guy who has been there.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 12:26 AM   #5
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
Dave gave you good advice. My thought for that kind of load you would need a dually to handle the axle weight and at the minimum a 1 ton rated truck. A F350 with the tow boss option could handle it.
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 03:05 AM   #6
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
If you're real serious about pulling the Cambridge, get the best for now. The Duramax 3500 with the most powerful HP and tourque. The GCWR for this truck is a whapping 26k and will handle the 5er well. Now, since GM is a step ahead of Ford and Dodge, wait amonth or so and one of the other manufacturers will outdo that, it is just a matter of time. In case you are wondering, I'm making fun of who has the most powerful truck, it depends on your own preference as to what truck you drive. I personally like different things about the big three, but I like the GM employees discount a lot. But whatever you choose, make sure of the pin weight, go with at least a 350, a 450 would be better if you plan on towing a lot.
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 06:39 AM   #7
rvghostdriver
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4518
That is good but is not the best for now. The Ford F350 Tow Boss has GCWR rating of 26,500 and towing rating of 19,200 maximum. It has the largest heaviest frame and brakes. Ford is still one step ahead for now. Both will do it for you ok though. Both are good choice.

F250 is not enough I do not think. Cambridge is too heavy for it. The same for any brand three quarter ton truck.
rvghostdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 09:25 AM   #8
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
Go Ford Go Ford
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 10:15 AM   #9
Dano
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4721
Now wait A second, I was on Cummins .com and they said that Dodge has the greatest HP and can pull two Cambridge 5vrs at the same time up hill, against the wind,in the snow, with a flat tire on two sides.

Now, I could be wrong????????
Dano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 11:26 AM   #10
Jeff Heiser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2088
Dano,
No you weren't wrong - I saw that Dodge pulling those two 5vers. It was awsome. On weekends I hang out with the driver of that Dodge and my Dodge to help pull the Fords and Chevys up long grades. Sometimes they even pay us. But by looking at the picture in your post you already know that.

God Bless America
Jeff Heiser
Merritt Island Florida
Jeff Heiser
Merritt Island Florida
2005 2500 610 CTD Dodge Quad
Jeff Heiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 02:07 AM   #11
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
Would it be nice if the big three would let us pick the chassis we want whether it be Chevy, Dodge or Ford and then add the engine & transmission combo we want. I would love for my F350 King Ranch to have Cummings engine and Allision tranny 6 speed with auxiliary OD. What a pulling machine that would be.
Old 04-28-2006, 03:09 AM   #12
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Broom101, I'd buy one of those too. Good idea!
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 04:48 PM   #13
Bill DeMeulle
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2740
I appreciate the feed-back and agree totally with everyone,the F-250 is too light in fact I just took it over for weighing and ended up 150 # too heavy for what I have, so we have to get rid of Carol's sewing machine,her TV, half of all her clothes, and she has to loose 100#'s.I'm going to cut out her Beer. I'm looking at a F-550 and that should do the trick and give me plenty of power and maybe Carol can have her clothes back. This is fun, I hope she doesn't read this!
Old 04-29-2006, 01:31 AM   #14
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
I love the Ford and GM guys. I find it funny that they had to put eight pistons and connecting rods in their engines and they still need to add four more to get to the size of Dodge pistons and connecting rods, which only uses six. When it comes to repairs, its cheaper to fix that inline six then it is to repair the Ford or GM,I am a retired GM but I love my Dodge. Have fun with whatever you drive. I wish the dealers would have one of their duallys set up with a fifth wheel hitch so folks could try out different trucks with their trailer hooked, and see what they would be comfortable with. It sure would end the guessing game.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 02:28 AM   #15
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
Now, old turbo, Those 6 pistons sure have to work harder to try and keep up with my 8 piston machine! If you are happy with your TV then you got the best one for you weather it be Dodge, GMC or Ford. They all pull our Montanas just fine!
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 03:26 AM   #16
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
Woodhouse auto family in Blair Nebraska has the Ford and Dodge's right there and I believe they sell GM in the Omaha area. It's interesting to see there results when they do testing on all 3 each year and report a honest feedback to those who attend the diesel clinic they put on once every 2-3 months. They have nothing to gain by promoting one instead of the other because they sell all of them.
Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 12:13 PM   #17
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
Fordzilla, what are the results of the test?
The fact is my 6.0 does great as well as the torque shift transmission. From a guy who had 7.3 with old style transmission which had several problems this newer set up worked out great. I have found that this set up needs no more pulling power it really walks home with my rig in tow. Push tow haul and go that's all it is to it.
Old 04-30-2006, 10:20 PM   #18
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
They are all three about the same overall but each makes the power at different RPM's. In 2004 when I bought the last truck the Ford was on top for the most power to the rear wheels. It had as much as the dodge and Chevy at the lower RPM's but continued to increase as the rpm''w went higher. I plan to go in May as they are having one I believe May17th(?). I like to attend and learn what is new in the diesel world. The Ford dealership there is the largest truck retailer in the country and the Dodge one can't be too far from the best selling dealer in total truck sales either. So, I really trust there diesel mechanics when they tell you something about the truck only liking this kind of additive or that kind of oil. They sell probably 90% trucks and out of those I would bet 75% are diesels. So they have to know there stuff or people would not come back. I posted a link to read about the diesel clinic they put on every few months.
http://ford.woodhouse.com/index.asp?...ss8qg8svng6vdf
Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 08:50 AM   #19
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Thanks for the link, Ron. Unfortunately we are too far away to be there on May 17.

In a couple of years we'll probably be ready to trade again. We have the luxury of not having to buy in one particular area of the country. We can buy anywhere. Still that dealer is not that far from where we spend time with our kids in the Kansas City area.

When I'm ready we will drive all four majors, eliminate those we don't like for whatever reason, then go for the best deal on those that remain. I like the idea of one large dealer handling all the brands in one general area. We may just go up and see that dealer when the time comes.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 09:13 AM   #20
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Steve,
I have just the dealeship for you. Dave Smith Motors in Kellogg Idaho. They are the worlds largest Dodge dealership and the west coast largest GM dealer. Of course we know deep down inside you are truly a Chevy guy and will be taking a new Duramax home. =) Dave Smith in stictly an Invoice dealership, sells at factory invoice plus $250, thats it. That would be another reason for you to spend some time in the Northwest.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote