Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 12-03-2005, 03:58 AM   #1
Retread
Established Member

M.O.C. #4969
Towing truck size

We are planning to purchase a Montana 3000RK next spring and a pickup truck to tow it but are confused with all the tow ratings. Would like to hear what you all are using to pull your 5ers of the same or similar size and weight.

Retread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 05:05 AM   #2
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
The big three diesels should get the job done for you or the big gassers from Ford and GM. I think most people would agree that a one ton truck would be the safest bet due to minimizing any concern about pin weight in the bed. That said, you can see in my signature that I am pulling our 3295RK—one of the Montanas with the highest pin weight—with a 2005 F-250 and we have not experienced any problems. There is a slight sag when the truck takes the 5er’s weight, but the next thing I am going to do is have Firestone air bags installed and hope that will alleviate the problem.

Whatever brand you choose, my best advice would be to feel secure with it; confidence when towing is a priceless thing!
Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 05:19 AM   #3
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
I started out with a 2 wheel drive 2001 Dodge 2500 diesel w/automatic transmission. Switched to a 2002 Dodge 2500 diesel 4WD w/6 speed manual. Switched to 2005 Ford 4WD F350. If I had it to do all over again, I would go right to the one ton and be done with it. Went with Ford due to the 2005 weight ratings. Really liked my Cummins diesel though but so far the 6.0 Ford is fine, except for the cost of filters and quantity of oil per change.
illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 05:55 AM   #4
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Retread
We went with the GMC3500 dually (2006 D/A) because then you don't have to add on anything. It pulls our Monty up mountains effortlessly and doesn't squat at all. Plus we have traveled in some pretty high winds and are not bothered by the wind.
Happy trails..................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 05:59 AM   #5
Montana_4221
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4221
We use a 1999 F-250 with 7.3 diesel. I towed with a ford V-10 gas in the past and I prefer towing with the diesel. I have found the 4X4 option is nice if you get into steep hill situation. Pulls alot easier in low range. I just happened to find a good deal on the truck. I had never considered the gear ratio prior to buying the truck. I also have a long bed and don't have to use a slider setup. However alot of people are happy with sliders. That part is purely personal preference.
Montana_4221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 07:12 AM   #6
Sweetfire
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4483
I also pull a 3295RK but with a 2005 F350 Ford. The picture that follows in my signiture line shows that I still have some "squat" left on the rear of the truck before it becomes parallel with the tow deck. This is with the fresh water tank full but very little else in the trailer. I really like our King Ranch and the ride when it is empty is very smooth.

That being said about two weeks after I bought the truck I was driving past the GMC dealer and saw two GMC "Top Kick" commercial trucks. Both were crew cab dualies, one had a pickup bed the other one had a bed made just for 5th wheel or goose neck towing. It had commercial style compartments on the sides and sloped down towards the rear bumper. It looked really sharp. Go to the GMC Truck web site and keep clicking on "commercial" till you see "Top Kick" and click on it. Then click on the red dump truck, then on the next screen click on photos. Under the 4500-5500 catagory the 4th picture from the left shows a regular cab top kick pulling a horse trailer. This pictured truck is not nearly as nice as the ones I saw on the dealer's lot. MSRP listed is $30,316-$41,096 a lot less than my rig. I do not know what the price is on the ones I've seen, I'm afraid to go in there. But if you're looking for a new rig it would be worth looking into.
Sweetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 08:53 AM   #7
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
J.D.
I think that you will be well pleased by installing the air bags. I had more squat on the TV than I wanted, actually it was sitting on the overload leaf springs with the Monty attached.

If you have not done so look at this link:
http://www.ride-rite.com/installatio...tions/2330.pdf

The 2330 is the model that you want for a Ford with a 5th wheel hitch. When I went to purchase mine, a not so well informed sales person tried to sell me the wrong bags. Attaching the Monty will compress the bags and increase the existing pressure by ~20#, so I start at 25#. If you opt for the on board compressor you will have better control of the bag pressure, but I think it not necessary for the expense. I carry with me a small 12v air compressor, the bags do not require much volume, over inflation could be easy.

If you do installation yourself pay particular attention to installing the heat shield on the passenger side bag, it will rotate on top of the bag for positioning, but it needs to be placed as close to the exhaust pipe as possible.

For Retread....as J.D. says, any of the diesels will do a sufficient job, that is my preference, mileage and power are better than the gasoline powered trucks, but the diesels put a heavier strain on the pocket book if you have to buy one from the outset. The one ton dually offer more stability, but lots of us are pulling with a 3/4 ton TV without any problem.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 08:59 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Think about how you are going to use the truck. Will this be your TV and everyday ride.Will you be towing 20/25K miles a year or are you a weekender.How long do you plan of keeping the truck.If you think about how you will use the truck the kind of truck you need will become evident.3/4 ton/ 1 ton, Short bed/ long bed/single wheel, dual wheel/ Gas/Diesel..Might be a good idea to wait till the 07's come out to see what direction the diesel motors and fuel will be taking. Take your time ..buy what you need..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 09:11 AM   #9
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I run the 2500HD Chevy Silverado 4x4 with the Duramax Diesel and Allison tranny. Since this is my only vehicle I went with the crewcab for more people and "suff" room. I also opted for the short bed as I still wanted to be able to get my truck into the garage. The crew longbed would just not fit. This truck tows my 3400RL without any trouble. As was stated in a previous post any of the top 3 trucks will do you just fine. As far as gas or diesel, I went diesel for fuel mileage and longer life span. I like getting 19-22 mpg on the highway empty and towing I average 12-14mpg. Best of luck in purchasing your new tow vehicle.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 05:16 AM   #10
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
Charlie, thanks for the tips and for the link. What type of price difference are we talking about by adding the onboard compressor? I talked to a gentleman from Florida when we camped at Moccasin Creek SP in June, and he liked that option on his, but he bought the truck and the 5er from the previous owner and did not know prices.
Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 06:00 AM   #11
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
J.D.
Don't know for sure, but think the on board compressor would add $400-500 to the cost of the air bags and installation might be included in that number. Best advice I can give is for you to find a dealer and get an estimate.

Steve Reigle has the bags and on board compressor. If he comes along he can tell you what his cost was.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 08:42 AM   #12
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Retread

We are planning to purchase a Montana 3000RK next spring and a pickup truck to tow it but are confused with all the tow ratings. Would like to hear what you all are using to pull your 5ers of the same or similar size and weight.
I have said this before and it bears repeating...
If you want an opinion from anyone as to the best TV, all you have to do is look at each individuals signature as there in lies the answer. Rarely will you ever find someone recommending another brand when they are pulling with a GMC, Ford or whatever.

That being said I highly recommend the GMC or Chevy 2500HD with the Duramax/Allison combo. Of course if you looked at my signature beforehand you already knew that.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 12:42 PM   #13
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Retread

Like Glenn says, my choice is in my sig block.

Tow ratings are not the only, or even the best, choice to judge for suitability when selecting a TV. Todays TV's will TOW [pull] these 5er's with no problem. In my opinion, a better choice is load capacity, the amount of weight a TV can carry. Load capacity includes pin weight, fuel, hitch, people, tools, "stuff", etc. When you exceed the load carrying capacity, you will probably exceed one or more of the other weight ratings also. When you finalize your choice, be aware of and comfortable with the numbers.

Skip
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 03:06 AM   #14
Bob Pasternak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #800
Send a message via ICQ to Bob Pasternak
Retread: I've put a site on here that you can check out what Edmund's says about all of the large PUs. Like: Chevy/GM, spotty build quality & poor interior. Dodge: Stunted standard bed. (And I don't know what that means. I think mine has a pretty good bed on it.) Ford: noisy drive train, spotty build quality. For others that read this, what I've pointed out is on the site. They're not my words.

http://www.edmunds.com/new/type/truc...ntent.num2.1.*
Bob Pasternak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 04:13 AM   #15
Jeff Heiser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2088
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Bob Pasternak

Dodge: Stunted standard bed. (And I don't know what that means. I think mine has a pretty good bed on it.)
Bob,
What they are talking about is in the Mega Cab model the bed is shorten 6 inches to accommodate the larger cab. It would be much better to extend both but the dealer told me not until next years model. So the 2006 2500 Mega cab is the same overall length as the 2005 2500 Quad Long Bed is. And honestly, I am ready to trade my 2005 2500 in for the new 2006 Mega Cab. They are sweet.

God Bless America
Jeff Heiser
Merritt Island Florida
Jeff Heiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 11:14 AM   #16
Sweetfire
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4483
OK, got the courage up (left the check book at home) and stopped at the GMC dealer. I found out that they were putting "Chariot Hauler" beds on 4500 and 5500 frames. If you want to see what I was looking at go to; www.chariotvans.com click on "Medium Duty Trucks" then click on "Express Hauler". I was looking at the GMC model but they also have a Ford there. I also found out that the price is ah, shall we say, steep, around $60,000.00 so there won't be one in my garage anytime soon. The dealer did say they were changing engine and trans. specs for this next model year on GMC/Chevy trucks, sounds like they are really beefing them up. Don't know if you want to be in on the first year of so many changes but they look good on paper.

BTW, the pickup bed model was around $40,000.00
Old 12-05-2005, 12:37 PM   #17
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
I looked really hard at the 4500. Infact I was prepared to order one before I found out I could not get the new LBZ engine and 6 speed Allison. There are lots of options as there must be 6 different after market outfitters providing beds similar to the Chariot. After we backed out of the deal I have learned that the extra capacity of these trucks definitely comes at a price. They are heavy with very heavy duty leaf springs. The ride is teeth chattering wihout air ride seats and suspension and seats. Even with these features the ride is tough enough that GM is now offering an air ride cab. Then there is weight. They are heavy providing little room for a trailer before encountering the CGWR of 26,000 pounds. i suspect this rating is a bit arbitrary as GM is trying to stay under the mandatory CDL limit for non RV applications.

Bottom line, we concluded the 3500 drw rig was our best option. Given that GM changes specs on the 2007 models (when they arrive) I think one would ave to really want the look to go for the 4500.
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 12:53 PM   #18
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I have found myself in the middle of an unwanted and unplanned career change. I have been really looking hard into the Chevy Kodiak or Freightliner M2. Thinking about getting into the transport business and going with a bigger rig will allow me more options for loads rather than just the traditional rv. I am hoping the old saying is going to apply to me and my changes at the moment, "good things come from bad situations."
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 01:14 PM   #19
Sweetfire
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4483
Dave,
You may be right about the ride. I was just drooling on them from the lot, they were both sold by the time I went in today so I didn't get to drive one. There is one thing I miss about my GMC, that is the seat. You seem to sit ON the Ford seat but IN the GMC seat. Those Chariot custom seats look interesting I may have to check them out.
Old 12-05-2005, 04:07 PM   #20
Retread
Established Member

M.O.C. #4969
Thanks all for the replies. I was wondering if the 2500 diesels would do the job and I think that your responses indicate that they can.
We are still planning on purchasing a 3000RK and probably a GMC 2500HD in the spring and going full time. Timing will depend on how long it takes to sell our house. We will be in our house two years in February and will put it on the market then to avoid the capitol gains tax.
Retread is offline   Reply With Quote