Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-16-2004, 10:08 AM   #1
joand
Established Member

M.O.C. #600
Trailair pin box

The week before the MOC Rally we had a Trailair pin box installed on our unit. We plan on going full time in 2 years and want to make sure we do whatever is necessary to make sure our 2002 model 3280 lasts as long as possible. When we left the Rally on Monday, we went back to Trailair in Goshen and had their Centerpoint air suspension installed and then had disc brakes installed. Lots of dollars but felt it was worth it since we plan on keeping the rig.

Our problem is that we have not noticed any difference in the ride in the truck with the new air pin box. Supposedly they have a money back guarantee if in 60 days you are not satisfied. We would rather have an improved ride than our money back. Does anyone have any experience with Trailair's pin box and if so, do you feel it improved the ride in the truck? How about any of you who bought Mor-Ryde - do you feel it improved things?

We drove half way home from Goshen to Berrien Springs, MI and then stopped and let all the air out of the air bladder on the pin box and drove the rest of the way home and saw no difference in the ride.
We'll probably give the company a call and see if they can advise us but thought maybe some of you might have some suggestions.
Thanks for your input.

joand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 10:29 AM   #2
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
That has to be a real disappointment. I would have expected a noticeable difference.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 04:18 PM   #3
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
We installed the trailair last spring and have towed for about 8500 miles. I believe the ride is better but there are still roads that give us a difficult ride. On the other hand, I believe the ride would have been even worse without. I never thought about letting the air out as I don't want to risk breaking anything we are carrying. Also, to be fair, I think such a test would need to be done under approximately equal conditions over the same road.
As to the Mor Ryde, I wish I ad seen that product before I bought the Trail Air. My own analysis of the cause of rough rides in fifth wheel rigs agrees directly with what we were told at the Rally. The problem is fore aft fighting between the truck mass and trailer mass. This action is a direct result of having the hitch point a great distance above the truck axle. The Mor Ryde solution directly addresses this problem by putting elasticity in the axis where it is needed while the trail air allows an unnecessary vertical movement as well as the fore aft movement.
Please keep us posted on anything you learn from Trail air.
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 09:09 AM   #4
joand
Established Member

M.O.C. #600
Thank you Dave and Victoria. I will let you know what I find out from Trailair. I'm also thinking of calling Mor-Ryde to see if they have a money back guarantee.
Old 10-19-2004, 12:39 PM   #5
BigBlue
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #109
We had a Trailair Pin Box installed when we purchased our 3470RL. I can't compare because we never towed it without the Trailair. My reason for getting the Trailair is because of the truck suspension. The C4500 has heavy duty springs and I didn't want to transfer the shock to the fiver. I do know that the trailer rides very well. When I look into the mirror and watch the trailer it just floats along. I think it was worth it.
BigBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 02:46 PM   #6
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
Big Blue reminds me that there are a lot of variables that must be resolved in determining just what coupling is most desireable between the tuck and trailer. Both elements are fairly complex as are the interactions. Having said that, it seems to me that it would be fairly straight forward problem to model. Both Trailair and Mor Ryde have published test results that could be used to verify the model. Then, future experiences would refine the model. Such a model could go a long way toward good decision making and shaping of people's uderstanding and expectations.

There are many good modeling programs around. I say that as an observer not as a practitioner. Personally, I am more of a systems engineer than one that gets into the details. I would like to work with someone who was willing to help with the programming required to develop the model. If anyone out there has an inclination to join in such a venture, I would like to hear from them. I am not in any way interested in a profit making adventure. Rather, I am interested in doing something that might increase the knowledge base of our members.
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 08:02 PM   #7
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
If you create a model I for one would like to check out your results. Keep us posted. Happyrving....
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 05:10 PM   #8
Go Pokes
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1645
We installed an Easy Rider hitch this week. The Easy Rider greatly improved the ride in the truck. It was worth every penny of the cost. Today our 15 month old granddaughter could sleep in her carseat-- before she would wake up at every big bump.
Go Pokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 02:25 PM   #9
joand
Established Member

M.O.C. #600
We finally called Trailair today and found them very willing to help us solve our problem of no noticable improvment of the ride in the truck with their pin box on the 5er. They told us that only 5 out of 100 of their customers call back with complaints and of that number, only 1 or 2 are unable to find a solution. They do have a 60 day money back guarantee but we would rather have good results than our money back. They are mailing us a different size air bag to see if that helps and we will go from there.
Will let you know how it goes.
Old 10-28-2004, 02:32 PM   #10
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
I am looking possible change from my current Reese, what are the most popular bands with the air ride?
Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 04:27 AM   #11
Bob Pasternak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #800
Send a message via ICQ to Bob Pasternak
This is from a post I put on another thread in April. It may have some relevance to your ride qualities now.
Posted - Apr 15 2004 : 11:09:37 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"A short wheel base will not ride quite as good as a long one. Also, if it's 4 X 4, the heavier front suspension is going to give a harder ride. And on a concrete road you're dealing with harmonics; Trailer wheels hitting a hump about the same time as the truck is settling down from one. Just a passing thought. This is something I experienced over the years of truck driving as semi-trailers went from 35' to 48' and 53'. The bridge between the drive axles on the tractor and the trailer axles matched the joints in the pavement and in some areas, it would almost yank the seat out from under me. When we went from one trailer to twins and triples, it all smoothed out.
One thing I might add; Quite often if one goes 5 to 7 MPH above or below the speed that is giving you the harmonic slap it will smooth out."

Also if the ride is too intolerable, National Seating makes air suspension seats for large pick-ups that have an isolator on them. Might check them out. Just a thought. This link will take you there;
http://www.buytruckstuff.com/product...=16&p_gpID=168
Bob Pasternak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 06:19 AM   #12
Bowie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1475
Bob--Thanks for pulling that previous post. Your point about the relationship of speed to the "harmonic slap" is something we have all experienced. Your other comments are also helpful--for those of us who have not had years of experience in a truck it is always great to have some words of wisdom from the experts!

Joand--Hope that you get the issues ironed out. Know that it was a big investment and you SHOULD be pleased with the way it works. Please keep us posted as there are a lot of MOC members who are interested in these systems. Good luck.
Bowie is offline   Reply With Quote