Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 07-08-2009, 09:24 AM   #1
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Jury Duty - Way to go, South Dakota!

Awhile back someone asked what happens if we fulltimers get a jury duty summons?

Well, I got mine, today, from Minnehaha County in South Dakota, home county of Sioux Falls.

I called the courthouse and was told to call the Head Bailiff at the number they gave me. I called that number but got a recording. As I was preparing in my mind what I would leave as a message for a call back, the lovely young lady on the recording said the following, quoted as closely as I can recall:

"If you are a fulltime rv'er, write on the back of the questionnaire, 'Fulltime RV'er', sign and date it, then send it back in the postage paid envelope. You do not have to fill out the questionnaire. I will return to you by mail confirmation that you are excused from jury duty."

I've said many times in this forum we find South Dakota a very fulltime rv'er friendly place. For me, this puts an exclamation point on that statement.

Way to go, South Dakota!

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 09:57 AM   #2
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Now that won't happen in Florida. Two years ago I was called for jury duty. When I called in to say I would not be back in the state for sometime their reply was "Give us a call as soon as you get back and we will reschedule you." Two months later I served. Never got called for a jury and we were sent home by 11:30AM
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 11:55 AM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Off topic for a jury summons, but having to do with the legal system, I received a subpoena to testify in a trial in Houston. I told them I would not be anywhere near Houston on the date of the subpoena. They said, "If we need you, we will fly you in and put you up from wherever you are to give testimony." I can live with that.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 12:03 PM   #4
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Hey Stiles,

Be prepared to wear a parachute, scarf, a leather skull cap and goggles for the flight. And don't forget your sleeping bag and toothbrush for the lodging. You'll probably need a sleeping pad, too. I hear those courtroom marble floors on hard on the back.

Government funding is cutting way back on costs.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 03:31 PM   #5
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Steve,

As we also are residents of Sioux Falls. This is very good news!
David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 02:24 AM   #6
nunya
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6756
Gotta love this news! Rapid City is my new home! Good info, thanks.
nunya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 03:31 AM   #7
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
I love living in Sioux Falls except for this year. It is really messing with our plans. Drivers Licenses have to be renewed every 5 yrs in person. Now that shouldn't be a problem since we come to Minnesota every year anyway but in this case Bill has a birthday in January and I have one the end of March. You can renew up to 6 months early so for Bill that means he could renew in August but I can't until after Sept 29th.... We will be in Goshen for the rally at that time and want to continue to Ohio for the GJR right after and then make our way down to our place in Florida. Instead, we will have to come all the way back west to S.Dakota and renew the licenses before heading South and the later it gets the more chance of bad weather. We knew this would happen in five years but WHERE DID THE TIME GO?

Thanks for the positive news Steve.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 04:13 AM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Helen, if I recall correctly, the only reason you have to show up in person is to take the eye test. And that is the same simple test we've taken elsewhere. I THINK I recall reading that they will accept a certified exam result from a licensed optometrist or optician or whatever the correct designation in lieu of their own test. Thus you could handle it all by mail.

I am not positive about that but it sure rings a lot of bells. It might be worth calling the courthouse or maybe Alternative Resources would know. I bet they would.

on edit -- Helen, I just checked the Alternative Resources website and found nothing about what I said above. But it might still be worth calling them or the courthouse. I did, however, find out something new that's not a great deal but apparently is required by our homeland security... here's a copy/paste from the a/r site.. I don't know what the airplane boarding reference is all about.

Starting January 1, 2010 when it is time to renew your SD drivers license or when you get your first SD drivers license you must stay one night in a campground or motel and show a receipt to the drivers license office. You can do this in any city in the state that issues license. You will STILL put your address at Alternative Resources on your license. This puts SD in compliance with the Federal REAL ID ACT and will allow you to board airplanes within the U.S., enter federal buildings etc.
Old 07-09-2009, 07:02 PM   #9
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Thanks Steve... We stopped at AR on our way back to Minnesota last month and they said there is no way we can get out of appearing in person. In desperation I went next door to the license bureau and they confirmed it. We gotta do it. The only good outcome is that we will be back in the midwest and maybe this time you guys will still be there and we can see you again. It has been way too long.

Helen
Old 07-10-2009, 11:45 AM   #10
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
Is this a state thing or is it by the county ?
Bob & Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 12:17 PM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Thanks, Helen. Back in 2003 they told me we could do it by getting an eye test out of state as I mentioned before. It sounds like Homeland Security has nixed that idea since they want those folks now to confirm we are who we say we are.

Bob & Lee, I don't have a positive answer for you but because the A/R site says we can renew anywhere in the state, I suspect it's a state thing. Further, it also sounds like every state probably has to be compliant with that REAL ID ACT. So, if it isn't every state in the union now, it likely will be so before long. If I understand this thing, that is.
Old 07-10-2009, 01:41 PM   #12
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
I seem to recall something on TV about the feds backing off the real ID act, but those states that adopted it are stuck with it unless they change their laws again.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 02:24 PM   #13
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
I think you are right Steve. It is State and probably mandated by the federal government... I think those that chose to ignore are subject to a loss of funds from the feds and since that is the reason SD loves us so much they will comply. SD is a very large state with a very low population. Everyone that is added brings revenue for the State from the Government... It's all about politics, as usual.

Helen
Old 07-29-2009, 12:54 PM   #14
jsmitfl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1709
Send a message via MSN to jsmitfl
Helen,
Why not try talking to them when you are there for Bill. They may let you do the picture thing and all then send in the app. later on. If not it may be cheaper to fly out there from Ohio and then back to where the fiver is. Just a thought.
jsmitfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 03:06 AM   #15
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Good question jsmitfl.. That is exactly what we did when we were in SD in May. No dice. The six month window is as good as it gets... Since both Bill and I need to renew, it would not be cheaper to fly in, rent a car, stay overnite etc. so we will come back the first part of October and then head south from Sioux Falls... It'll be a good chance to stop and see Steve and Vicki for a bit too.

Helen

Old 07-30-2009, 08:08 AM   #16
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
By all means, Helen, come on down! We're looking forward to your visit. If you time it right, Myrna and Bob will be here, too. I'm not sure exactly when but I think early October. It's been a long time since we've seen you and Bill. Was it the 2006 Goshen Rally? And we really want to see your new rig.
Old 08-11-2009, 01:07 PM   #17
Gypsy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #111
Hurrah! Steve, I just stopped in on the forum to do a little browsing and post a message and found yours. As a 5+ year resident of SD and full-time RVer, this matter has haunted me. I've wondered what I would do if they called me for jury duty in *snow* weather (that 4-letter word I hate to utter). Now I know! So thanks for sharing this great tidbit.
Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 03:19 AM   #18
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Stop in more often Sharon. We love to see your smiling face.

Helen