Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-30-2018, 05:21 PM   #1
hoolie59
Established Member

M.O.C. #21806
Winterizing question

This is the first time I've winterized my 2015 3735 MK. For the most part, I think everything went well. I used the antifreeze method, didn't blow out the lines. Bathroom sink, shower, stool and outside shower pumped through fine. When I got to the kitchen, it took a little while for the solution to get there with the mid-kitchen layout. Once it got there, the stream of antifreeze was very weak, sputtering a little. Eventually, it wasn't coming through anymore. Pump was running, but it just didn't seem like it could push it that far anymore. I went back to the bathroom to check to see if it was coming through those again, and it was pumping through fine. I was only doing 1 unit at a time. I think I got enough through the hot and cold kitchen, but just can't figure why it quit pushing through. Plenty of antifreeze in the bucket, and the pump is pumping fine. Thoughts?

hoolie59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 06:16 PM   #2
speedster100
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17566
Not sure, I did have a check valve not seating properly this year that let the anti-freeze leak out the hot water tank. Still got a weak stream at the sink in kitchen until jug emptied out.

On another note don't forget your outside shower and the toilet.....
speedster100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 06:33 PM   #3
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
And black tank flush. And clothes washer if you have one, washer water lines if you don’t.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 04:52 AM   #4
hoolie59
Established Member

M.O.C. #21806
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_TX View Post
And black tank flush. And clothes washer if you have one, washer water lines if you don’t.
Thank you! I did do the black tank flush. I don't have a washer, but it is plumbed. Do I need to disconnect the lines and let them run into a bucket?
Old 10-01-2018, 04:56 AM   #5
hoolie59
Established Member

M.O.C. #21806
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedster100 View Post
Not sure, I did have a check valve not seating properly this year that let the anti-freeze leak out the hot water tank. Still got a weak stream at the sink in kitchen until jug emptied out.

On another note don't forget your outside shower and the toilet.....
Yes, got the outside shower and toilet. I'll take a look at the valves. Thank you for your response!
Old 10-01-2018, 05:06 AM   #6
montana20
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22628
How do you winterize the black tank flush?
How do you winterize the washer?

I’ve never done the black tank flush on our TT, not sure how to pump it in there and the new 5er will have washer so need to learn this now ;-)
Old 10-01-2018, 06:32 AM   #7
ChasManDo
Established Member

M.O.C. #22591
Quote:
Originally Posted by montana20 View Post
How do you winterize the black tank flush?
How do you winterize the washer?

I’ve never done the black tank flush on our TT, not sure how to pump it in there and the new 5er will have washer so need to learn this now ;-)
I always just blow air through the black tank flush. There are no valves associated with it and it is open at the ends in the tank. Otherwise you would have to pump it through the lines with a hand pump or a pump from the exterior of the trailer.
ChasManDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 08:08 AM   #8
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
After running antifreeze thru the outside shower, I connect the outside shower hose to the black tank flush connection and use it run antifreeze thru the black tank flush. Just takes a minute or so.

To winterize the washer, I turn the temp setting to cold and run the washer until I see pink stuff thru the window. Then I run spin until all that liquid drains. Then I turn the temp to hot and run again until I see pink stuff. Again I run spin until it drains. That winterizes the lines and puts pink stuff in the drain P trap.

As far as how to winterize the washer lines if you have no washer, I defer to others who do that each year.
Old 10-01-2018, 08:13 AM   #9
montana20
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22628
Quote:
After running antifreeze thru the outside shower, I connect the outside shower hose to the black tank flush connection and use it run antifreeze thru the black tank flush. Just takes a minute or so.

To winterize the washer, I turn the temp setting to cold and run the washer until I see pink stuff thru the window. Then I run spin until all that liquid drains. Then I turn the temp to hot and run again until I see pink stuff. Again I run spin until it drains. That winterizes the lines and puts pink stuff in the drain P trap.

As far as how to winterize the washer lines if you have no washer, I defer to others who do that each year.

Brilliant!!!!
Old 10-13-2018, 08:18 PM   #10
RainbowsEnd
Established Member

M.O.C. #19240
Quote:
I understand how to get antifreeze through the outside shower and I think I get the connection to black tank flush. How do you push the antifreeze into black tank flush and know when to stop?
Old 10-13-2018, 08:40 PM   #11
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainbowsEnd View Post
I understand how to get antifreeze through the outside shower and I think I get the connection to black tank flush. How do you push the antifreeze into black tank flush and know when to stop?
After you see pink stuff coming out the outside shower hose (from both the cold and hot faucets) turn both faucets off. Then connect the hose to the black tank flush connection. Then turn on one of the faucets and the pump will push antifreeze thru the flush line. I just let that run long enough that I think antifreeze has passed thru it. Never timed it but that line is not particularly long and shouldn’t take long. Probably no more than 15-20 seconds.
Old 10-14-2018, 10:09 AM   #12
Mtncrash1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21598
If you don’t have a washer, I was told to hook up a short hose to each line and run antifreeze through as normal. I cut my lines in the basement and installed valves. They can be connected up if I ever get a washer or left the way they are. Made it a lot easier to winterize from down there vs in the closet. Also poured some down the washer drain. Won’t need to do that one again.

2017 HC 345RL
2015 F-250
Mtncrash1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 11:23 AM   #13
Coloradosw

M.O.C. #21107
Thank you. I forgot the black water rinse. Just handled it this morning because of your reminder! Just added it to the checklist.
Coloradosw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 01:46 PM   #14
hoolie59
Established Member

M.O.C. #21806
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtncrash1 View Post
If you don’t have a washer, I was told to hook up a short hose to each line and run antifreeze through as normal. I cut my lines in the basement and installed valves. They can be connected up if I ever get a washer or left the way they are. Made it a lot easier to winterize from down there vs in the closet. Also poured some down the washer drain. Won’t need to do that one again.
That sounds like a solid plan. Never thought about adding valves...makes perfect sense. Thanks for sharing!
Old 10-17-2018, 02:00 PM   #15
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
No need to add antifreeze to the Black Tank Flush it is self draining! Never in 20 years on 3 different Rigs never a problem
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 03:34 PM   #16
whutfles
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17319
The black tank check valve is the highest point in that line. When you disconnect the water hose, the water outside the check valve drains out and the water on the tank side of the check valve drains into the tank. I have never winterized my back tank flush in 10 years. Can't hurt anything putting it in there though.

If you don't have a clothes washer, a short 12 inch hose with female end to connect to hot and cold faucets and a good size pan to drain each line into. Just turn each faucet on slow or you'll get that stale crap in your face. Run till you see pink. Don't forget to do this again in the spring when you de-winterize or you'll have this stale pink stuff leaching into your bathroom faucets.

On the washing machine - don't forget to open the soap dispenser and pour some antifreeze in there. It retains a small amount of water. If you run your fill long enough with the pink it will run some into the soap dispenser just before it quits filling. But if you stop it early just as you see pink, it will skip the dispenser.

After running antifreeze into your washers, and running the drain sycle, what does everyone else do? Do you just leave whatever antifreeze didn't empty out in there, or do you open the lint cleanout and drain it? I'm refereing to the Splendide model. The dealer tells me not to release the pressure in the faucet lines after winterizing.

I winterized my washer prep fraucets for 9 years. Was the hardest part of the whole process. Had to move all of the wife's linen out of that shelf get all full of pink stuff messing with the short hose, then dump what I had collected in the pan, and then put all of the linen back. Got a washer last year. Wow, was that much easier! Push the cold fill button, turn it on till see pink. Turn it to drain and turn it on. Push the hot fill and turn it on till see pink. Turn it to drain and turn it on. Done. No mess.
whutfles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 05:02 PM   #17
pyoung47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20913
What I have neglected is th autofill. I’m going to at least blow it with the selector in the autofill position. I may pump pink in it as well.
pyoung47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 05:47 PM   #18
whutfles
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17319
I have never tried to force antifreeze into or out of the City Water Connection. I've been winterizing it since 2009 in some pretty cold Nebraska winters and have never had an issue. Nock on wood. And I have never tried to run any antifreeze into the auto fill. i always drain the fresh water tank and open the low point drains till dry then close them up and pump antifreeze wherever the Winterize knob pumps it.
whutfles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 08:04 AM   #19
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdeiss View Post
No need to add antifreeze to the Black Tank Flush it is self draining! ......
If the black tank flush connection has a check valve at the hose connection, it cannot drain back out of that connection. And if you have removed the vacuum breaker valve as many of us have, it will not fully drain either direction. In the picture you can see the pink stuff in my lines long after I had winterized it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo2.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	297.4 KB
ID:	2504  
Old 10-18-2018, 03:51 PM   #20
Jim Homer
Established Member

M.O.C. #22634
How important is the soap dispenser and winterizing?
Jim Homer is offline   Reply With Quote