Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 08-06-2007, 12:22 PM   #1
PapaBeav
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7487
Tripping Converter

I have a 2006 Montana 2955RL that we purchased new 2 years ago and I have had an ongoing problem ( since it was new ) with it that the 20amp circuit breaker for the converter ( only thing on circuit )keeps tripping. Was wondering if anyone has had or heard of this problem. The converter has been replaced and it still happens. It has been to the dealer 3 times for this problem with no resolve. And I'm am even getting the run around from Keystone. If any one knows of a good rep to talk to at Keystone I would greatly appreciate it.

PapaBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 02:15 PM   #2
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Rich, sorry for your troubles, I know that is so frustrating.
I would replace the 20 amp breaker and check the tightness of all the wires in your breaker box.
Get someone to put an amp meter on the converter circuit while under load. My take on this is a bad power supply possibly caused by loose wiring or a bad breaker.
Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 02:45 PM   #3
PapaBeav
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7487
Ozz I have already done all of this but it still trips periodically which just drives me nuts. I check the breaker every time that I set up and every time that a take down. The last time that it happened is when I set up and the only thing that I did different was to use the 50amp cord. Someone suggested that I have the cord tested, If that is possible.
PapaBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 03:14 PM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
That was also one of our problems in our 06 3400. When at the service center for repairs they replaced the entire converter and no problem since.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 04:28 PM   #5
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
We added a muffin fan to the vent in our front closet - the converter is above the ceiling of the closet. By extracting hot air, we are now down to tripping the breaker occasionally instead of frequently.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 01:33 AM   #6
haslcs
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6202
i had the same problem and i contacted IOTA engineering and they sent me a new one no problem since. you can contact them at www.iotaenginering.com. hope this helps
haslcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 03:31 AM   #7
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
I too have had some breakers pop. I also installed a fan in our previous TT behind the breakers. In our present Montana I just open the fuse box door and point a small box fan at it when the temp is so high that the A/C runs most of the time.
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 05:25 PM   #8
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
I have also had that problem. I took it to the shop where they replaced the converter. I haven't had a problem tripping the breaker since that time. I have until recently had problems blowing the 30amp fuses in the converter compartment. I finally read the stickers inside the cover door and it says to use a 40amp fuse. A trip to the auto parts store and no problems since. It may be worth a try to see if everything in that box is what its supposed to be.

Phil
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 09:08 AM   #9
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
Rich, I've been down the same road. Tripping breakers. Bought a used 298RLS in great condition. When the salesman showed it to us it tripped the 20amp and conv. breaker.
They tried tightening all connections, replacing the breakers, replacing the time out limit switch, new thermostat.
After 7 attempts they replaced the top part of the A/C unit. Not the part where you see inside the RV. They claim it had a bad spot in the motor and it would heat up and trip the breakers.
Before replacing the A/C it might run for 30 min to 8 hours before tripping. Now its ran for 3 days and no tripping. It is under dealer warranty so they bit the bullet on that one.
HughM is offline   Reply With Quote