Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 06-30-2019, 10:08 AM   #1
penra
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24321
What Tools Do Fulltimers Carry?

Forming a tool list for our first trip in the fall. Also spare parts suggestions.

General Tools:
Socket Set
Wrenches
Small and large crescent
Screwdrivers
Machinists hammer
Deadblow hammer
Claw hammer
Pry bar
Battery powered Drill and Impact wrench (my impact wrench is only 3/8" is that enough?)
Drill bits
Jack - lightweight floor jack
Hacksaw and blades
Lineman pliers
Vise Grips
Channel locks
Needle nose
Test Meter
Flashlight
Head lamp
Folding shovel
Measuring tape
Rivet gun and rivets

Assorted small nuts and bolts
Wiring connectors

I'm forgetting some for sure.

Also, after trying hard to convert I dislike tool bags, they are like big purses and everything is lost on the bottom. I have multiple small tool boxes with specific tool types. Any feedback on what people carry tools and parts in?

2020 Montana Legacy 3120RL
2019 GMC 3500HD Denali SRW LB; B&W Companion Pucks
penra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 11:09 AM   #2
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Looks like a decent list. Probably need a 1/2 in impact for tires as well as a torque wrench. Most of my tools stay under the back seat of the truck.

Don't forget:
-cell phone
-credit card

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 11:52 AM   #3
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
If you mean multimeter IE:voltohm meter your well on your way on the electrical side of things. I also keep a couple of boards 2x4 and 1x4.

While Ryobi is NOT the best brand of cordless tools, they have made a commitment that their batteries will always fit any of their tools basically forever and replacement batteries don't cost more than a new tool set. So I have a full compliment and have found that the drill driver, reciprocating saw and the handheld compressor are the handiest. Check out their handheld compressor for bicycle tires and topping off large tires. It is slow but goes up really high on pressure if needed.

On parts be sure to have zip ties, 12 volt fuses and self tapping/drilling screws. Gorilla tape and industrial glue as well. Personally, anytime I have unique to RV hardware break, I buy two replacements so I have a spare......
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 12:32 PM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
I carry 4 large Dewalt tool boxes that have a large bottom and a removable top that has adjustable compartments so I carry a lot of tools and small parts. All my portable tools are Makita professional grade and the thing I get more use out of than I expected is a reciprocal saw. I use it for cutting firewood as well as the typical uses and carry blades for wood, metal and large wrecking blades. I also carry a pex cutter and shark bites for most things that could happen and some that shouldn't.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 02:07 PM   #5
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by DQDick View Post
I carry 4 large Dewalt tool boxes that have a large bottom and a removable top that has adjustable compartments so I carry a lot of tools and small parts. All my portable tools are Makita professional grade and the thing I get more use out of than I expected is a reciprocal saw. I use it for cutting firewood as well as the typical uses and carry blades for wood, metal and large wrecking blades. I also carry a pex cutter and shark bites for most things that could happen and some that shouldn't.
Yep I was surprised how handy the reciprocal is.....
Spot on about the shark bite plumbing fittings too!
Old 07-08-2019, 10:51 AM   #6
Rod Spohn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24052
Quote:
Originally Posted by DQDick View Post
As I'm new to at this could you mention what size shark bites you carry? That's something I hadn't thought of.
This is a great thread
Rod Spohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 11:10 AM   #7
jgroves

M.O.C. #23118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Spohn View Post
As I'm new to at this could you mention what size shark bites you carry? That's something I hadn't thought of.
This is a great thread
I'm about to buy this right here for myself, as I've been out on the road and had to rent one of the crimper tools for about the same price as this kit:

https://www.amazon.com/IWISS-Crimpin...fsclp_pl_dp_14
jgroves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 01:19 PM   #8
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
It looks like you have the basics but you will add as time goes on as you see things break and realize you don't have a particular tool you need. The only tools I carry in my truck are an 1/2'' Milwaukee 18 volt impact with a 13/16 and 7/8'' deep socket with 6'' extention and 1/2'' quality torque wrench for truck and rv wheels. The rest of my tools are in the rv. You can't carry the whole garage with you and many times there is a Home Depot or Lowe's near by but there is always that one ghost tool that you missed carrying with you.Good luck.
Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 01:54 PM   #9
DadsHemi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20472
The only thing I don’t have is an engine stand ��, I have 3/4 drive sockets down to 1/4 drive sockets, 2-1/8” sockets to 3/16 sockets and wrenches to match, metric as well. All kinds of pliers, cutters, 12 ton hydraulic jack, 6 ton car jack, all kinds of electrical etc. all kinds of sealants, lubes etc... and of cordless power tools..

2018 Ram 3500 MegaCab 4x4 Aisin, 4:10 Gears
Titan 50 Gal Tank, Air Lift Wireless Bags
2017 3160 RL
DadsHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 08:58 AM   #10
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
Quote:
Originally Posted by DadsHemi View Post
The only thing I don’t have is an engine stand ��, I have 3/4 drive sockets down to 1/4 drive sockets, 2-1/8” sockets to 3/16 sockets and wrenches to match, metric as well. All kinds of pliers, cutters, 12 ton hydraulic jack, 6 ton car jack, all kinds of electrical etc. all kinds of sealants, lubes etc... and of cordless power tools..
Wow, I'm calling you instead of roadside assistance next time. I think you're better equipped.

DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 02:14 PM   #11
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
When thinking parts I always put priority on UNIQUE to RV parts as those are the ones that are harder to come by. There is usually a Lowes or Home Depot for the generic stuff but good luck finding RV hardware on the weekend......

FYI, Lowes carries some good stackable parts boxes (the kinds that latch and have handles). I am trying to get all mine to match and stack to save space......

On the tool box side of things I figured out that a MIDDLE 4 drawer chest works really well on one of my side compartments. I had to put plywood under it to lift to right height but a middle chest does not need the top opened to slide the drawers. Depends on what your doors and dimensions are for the storage compartments. Mine just happens to have two doors towards the back that flank the basement garage that are perfect for tool boxes and other side gets the roll up chairs....
Old 06-30-2019, 06:31 PM   #12
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Whether or not you are capable of changing bearings in a wheel hub, it would be good to carry a set of bearings and races, along with a seal and grease, and brass punches to remove and install the races. Even if you can't do this work along the road, at least a mobile repair person would at least have the parts you carry to do this work.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 07:16 PM   #13
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I carry the basics. If I need something else like Jim said you are almost always close to a store that sells tools.
What I don’t leave home without is fuel filters and turbo hoses. These are two items that give a lot more trouble than most people realize. Turbo hoses have blown off two times on my truck.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 08:55 PM   #14
penra
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24321
Good suggestions, thanks all!

2020 Montana Legacy 3120RL
2019 GMC 3500HD Denali SRW LB; B&W Companion Pucks
penra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 01:12 PM   #15
SterlingSilver
Established Member

M.O.C. #22445
I never leave home without a welding set.
SterlingSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 01:22 PM   #16
StageCoachDriver
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22620
I can rebuild an engine, only lacking a ring compressor. I do carry a torque wrench, which I didn't see in your very robust inventory, to torque trailer and tow vehicle wheels.
StageCoachDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 01:27 PM   #17
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
I would add a small soldering iron, solder and wire strippers. I’m sure you also have a variety of fuses for the truck and RV. My Ram has some micro fuses under the hood that are difficult to find. Enjoy your full time experience.
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 01:46 PM   #18
Charlie W
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23396
Cash $$ an checkbook, some places don't take credit cards.
Old 07-07-2019, 01:47 PM   #19
Graham
Established Member

M.O.C. #10287
Don't forget a package of J-B Weld. Not really a tool but somehting I always keep in my tooll box. Had the bottom hinge of our fridge break and used J-B weld to fix it (slow curing). I ordered a new fridge door to replace it and it's still sitting in my storage area. Incredible product.
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 02:06 PM   #20
Forsch
Established Member

M.O.C. #20034
Tools

The suggestion for the soldering iron is a good idea. I carry a full-size craftsman toolbox with six drawers and the large upper lidded compartment that is tall enough to store my hydraulic jacks and power tools.
Forsch is offline   Reply With Quote