Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 01-30-2018, 04:59 PM   #1
masterdrago
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20587
What type of Paint

I managed to put some small scratches on the front cap the first time I squeezed it in the driveway. Have gotten all sorts of advice from neighbors and friends but need some help from the experts. What kind of paint should I use to touch these nicks up? They are very shallow in the, I'm guessing fiberglass gel coat - less than a mm deep. I can most likely match with acrylic at the hobby store. Not so much with automotive from the auto stores.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cap-front-nicks.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	1115  

Old 01-30-2018, 05:06 PM   #2
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Ouch on a brand new one!

I will be interested in what works for this myself. No scratches yet but they are sure to happen....
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 05:10 PM   #3
Bad Moon
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18546
Don't use hobby paint. Use automotive touch-up paint.
Old 01-30-2018, 06:00 PM   #4
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Just a thought, but I torched up some rock chips on the front of mine with the wifes white fingernail polish. Cant see them at all.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 06:19 PM   #5
masterdrago
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20587
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Moon View Post
Don't use hobby paint. Use automotive touch-up paint.
That's what all the neighbors say to use but have yet to find anything near the cream color. Joy's eye is a good matcher but I cannot convince her that we might mix 2 auto touch ups to get near the color that is close.

I had not considered nail polish - come in a vast, vast array of colors. Joy just tossed about 100 bottles from her collection but I'm sure none were cream:+} I'll check that out.
Old 01-31-2018, 06:21 AM   #6
Eagleback
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15731
I would see if you could cover the scratches with a couple of vinyls. One for each side. so they look factory.
Eagleback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 07:13 AM   #7
speedster100
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17566
If it is on the fiberglass (pic's don't show well) there is a good chance you can just simply buff them out using a medium speed buffer, a soft pad & rubbing compound, follow that by using a polish, follow that by applying two to three coats of wax...

In the pic's it appears the marks are transferred to the unit from whatever you hit. Fiberglass is pretty forgiving and can be buffed back even with deep scratch's. If it is on the painted portion not so much...
speedster100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 09:41 AM   #8
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterdrago View Post
I managed to put some small scratches on the front cap the first time I squeezed it in the driveway. Have gotten all sorts of advice from neighbors and friends but need some help from the experts. What kind of paint should I use to touch these nicks up? They are very shallow in the, I'm guessing fiberglass gel coat - less than a mm deep. I can most likely match with acrylic at the hobby store. Not so much with automotive from the auto stores.
Gel coat is just that, you can't fix it in your driveway with something out of a bottle or can. You may be able to paint the spots so they are less noticeable, but if you're like me every time you walk by you'll look up there and grumble.
You could fill the spots and cover with a stripe or decal, but I doubt you'll repair it to where you won't see it. A brand new trailer, I'd just go get it fixed.

Mark
Old 01-31-2018, 05:57 PM   #9
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
I could be wrong, but the pic looks as if the marks can be compounded out. I have never seen (black) appear when damaged like that. I would think that if you could not feel the depth of them with your finger nail, they will buff out
Old 01-31-2018, 06:55 PM   #10
masterdrago
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20587
The scratched are definitely deep enough to "feel". Maybe 1/32". Caused by dragging the corner against a rather large and immovable Pine tree. There was a lot of bark and sap on the corner that I cleaned off with Simple Green. Gel coat, fiberglass. I don't know. Paying to have someone I do not know would be not my style. Might get some advise from Jerry Rinker - sold us our boat. Until we decide to go that route, Joy found some finger nail polish that looks like it will match. Will post pix later. First dings are always the worst to deal with. I'm positive this will not be our last.
Old 02-01-2018, 04:09 PM   #11
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
I am certain it they will not be you last. LOL Its just a matter of time before the next Doh!!!