Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 03-08-2012, 11:58 AM   #1
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
New King pin box

I know I could have call 4 strong men, and there lunches to lift this pin box into place. so I took it to the RV store in Paramount and they did me well, along with that I had them remove the old tape on the dinning slide an put on some eternabond tape for everything it was 291.00 otd. what a deal. my back dont hurt, and I didnt stain my clothes so that should make the wife happy. here is what I got.

my pictures were too big so I put a Tag for the pictures.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k2...0308-00167.jpg

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k2...0308-00166.jpg

Old 03-08-2012, 02:34 PM   #2
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Don, Anxious to hear the difference it made. Jim
Old 03-08-2012, 02:47 PM   #3
K&Gs3400RL
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9671
Looks good, Nice way to save the back, let us know how you like it.
K&Gs3400RL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 03:09 PM   #4
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

Nice pictures!
Having them do the work and not getting your back into trouble makes it well worth it in itself. Sounds like a great price all around to me. Let us know how it works out for you.

Old 03-08-2012, 03:42 PM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Looks like a great set up, I'd also like to know how much of an improvement you think it makes.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 03:54 PM   #6
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
As for what type of improvement? I'm hoping that it will releave most of the constant pounding the truck sends up through the pin box. I know that it cant do it all but it's got to help. the thing sure moves a lot Up and Down on the way home today, and I will deffiatly keep all posted on how it works.
Old 03-09-2012, 01:29 AM   #7
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
We have the MorRyde which is not the same quality as yours (TrailAir 'wantabee"), but we certainly noticed a difference immediately.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 02:43 AM   #8
southern thunder
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12211
Congrats. I think you did the right thing getting it installed. I know I would not have tried it.
southern thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 04:03 AM   #9
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I think you will be happy with it. I installed a 5th airborne (same principle except hinged in front instead of rear). In the rear view mirror I can see the 5er moving up and down somewhat independent of the truck, so it is definitely taking some of the shock out of it.
And the truck rides smoother also. I had very little chucking to begin with. Just a little on some concrete highways. The new pin box eliminated virtually all of that.
Anyone thinking of adding one, it is really not a bad one man project if you want to save the installation cost and do not have help. I just lowered the tailgate and backed the truck under the pin box. Then lowered the trailer until the pin box was just above the tail gate. Removed the bolts and let the pin box drop the inch or so onto the bed/tailgate. Raised the trailer and pulled the truck out from under. Moved the old pin box out of the way and the new pin box to the tailgate. Backed the truck back under the trailer and lowered the trailer until the pin box frame moved down over the new pin box. Put the bolts back in and done. No heavy lifting required.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 04:17 AM   #10
southern thunder
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12211
Good Job BB TX.
southern thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 04:56 AM   #11
Buckeye Mike
Established Member

M.O.C. #11350
Trailer Trash,the tri-glide gives you a much better ride.I had the trail-air on a SOB and when they came out with the tri-glide I replaced the lower jaw and it made a huge difference.I took it off rhe SOB but is a medium pin box and the monty haas a long pin box,which is 3 inches longer.Not sure it would give me enough clearence for turning.Trail-air said they would not take it back if it don't have enough clearence between the truc and trailer.Trail-air will sell me the top half that will bolt on the monty but didn't want to spend the $280 not knowing if it would work.
Buckeye Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 05:05 AM   #12
helmick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8890
We have towed over 15,000 miles with the same pin box Don has. It has been a lot better than the first 15,000 miles with the original pin box. You can see it floating instead of banging in the rear view mirror.
helmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 05:44 AM   #13
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Bill that was a nifty way of getting the pin box on, by using your truck bed and lowering the trailer, I was thinking of making a cradle for the pin box and using my floor jack in the back of the pick up as the staging area. I like your idea or way better.
Ron what you said is the same thing I saw when I looked in the rear view morror. when we installed it I put 53 lbs in the bag to lift it to the mark and after driving for a few miles it went below the mark about a 1/2 inch I think a few more lbs. will bring it up to the mark. a question....... we dont let the air out when we disconect do we? when I disconected that bag was expanded a bit not bulging just pushig the movable section down all the way to its stops.
Old 03-09-2012, 05:50 AM   #14
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I do not let the air out of mine. But I did have to add air last year after not using it from Sept to April. Added air and it held until the last time I used it this last Sept. Seemed to lose air during the cold months, but not during the hot months.
Will need to check it soon as we are getting ready to take it out for the new season.
Old 03-09-2012, 06:31 AM   #15
helmick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8890
Don
I never let the air out. I have added air from time to time, not sure how much I towed in between.
Trail Airs put mine on and said to just have enough air in the bag to keep the hitch plate level with the truck rails.

What Dale , the owner of Trail Airs at the time I bought mine said was to stand back looking over the truck rails at an angle and air the bag so the plate looked level with the rails. Not as high as the rails, but at the angle looking down to the plate.
helmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 06:51 AM   #16
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
thanks helmick. I just talked to Don at Air ride and he gave me the scoop about the referance point on the shock and max air pressure.

He said that what mine did was normal, finding it comfort zone I guess, and that the arrow was just a referance point. if I wanted to put more air in the bag and raise the marker point above the arrow that is OK just so long as I dont add air to exceed the 120 PSI. it will make the ride a lot more ridge. I also dont have to let the air out as BB_TX and a few others said.
Now I'm going to do the trailer shocks, but I have to pull one off for the right size to be ordered.
Thanks for all the replies and Ideas,
BB_TX I mentioned to Don at Trail Air how you installed yours, he was impressed with your enginuaty, he never thought about doing it that way, when he was installing them he used to mussle them up into the RV with a fork lift, he liked your way and if he gets asked he will forward that info to new customers.
Old 03-09-2012, 10:44 AM   #17
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
One of my more lucid moments, Don.
Old 03-10-2012, 02:52 AM   #18
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BB_TX

I think you will be happy with it. I installed a 5th airborne (same principle except hinged in front instead of rear). In the rear view mirror I can see the 5er moving up and down somewhat independent of the truck, so it is definitely taking some of the shock out of it.
And the truck rides smoother also. I had very little chucking to begin with. Just a little on some concrete highways. The new pin box eliminated virtually all of that.
Anyone thinking of adding one, it is really not a bad one man project if you want to save the installation cost and do not have help. I just lowered the tailgate and backed the truck under the pin box. Then lowered the trailer until the pin box was just above the tail gate. Removed the bolts and let the pin box drop the inch or so onto the bed/tailgate. Raised the trailer and pulled the truck out from under. Moved the old pin box out of the way and the new pin box to the tailgate. Backed the truck back under the trailer and lowered the trailer until the pin box frame moved down over the new pin box. Put the bolts back in and done. No heavy lifting required.
Did almost the same thing but I backed under the trailer with the 5th wheeel, un bolted the pin box and drove out from under it. I then put the new 5th airborne pin box on the 5th wheel and drove back under it and bolted it up. Worked well for us.

Dave
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 04:23 AM   #19
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
I, too, met Dale in Goshen when I had the TrailAir installed on my Montana 2955. He asked if I wanted to keep the OEM hitch. I said, "Sure, put it in the pickup."

When I traded for my present fifth-wheel, I put the original pin box on the Montana and installed the TrailAir on the new trailer. (I still have the OEM from the new trailer.)

We feel it does help smooth out the ride, especially for the trailer. As for air--we have to air it up every few days, and before every trip. It seems to need air at least every couple of weeks. I carry a small 12 volt air compressor for this purpose.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 04:34 AM   #20
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by padredw

I, too, met Dale in Goshen when I had the TrailAir installed on my Montana 2955. He asked if I wanted to keep the OEM hitch. I said, "Sure, put it in the pickup."

When I traded for my present fifth-wheel, I put the original pin box on the Montana and installed the TrailAir on the new trailer. (I still have the OEM from the new trailer.)

We feel it does help smooth out the ride, especially for the trailer. As for air--we have to air it up every few days, and before every trip. It seems to need air at least every couple of weeks. I carry a small 12 volt air compressor for this purpose.
My same thoughts too padredw. I sure dont need a new trailer but one never knows,do they. I just wired up my small compressor so I can plug it in the truck bed where I plug in the transfer pump so I can put air into the air bag when needed.