Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 05-17-2011, 06:49 AM   #1
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Outside Cable Connection Completed

While camping this weekend, I completed the installation of an exterior coaxial cable connection for the satellite feed of the 3750FL. The route was chosen primarily for the reason of KISS (keep it simple stupid!!). I removed the first interior panel in the basement to access the cable connections on the back and put a two way splitter on the coaxial feed to the basement. This preserves my basement connection and allowed me to route a new cable through the underside of the rig beneath the floor to the wheel well location. The lower plastic piece of the rig (beneath the gelcoated fiberglass side panels) are easily loosened since they are attached to the underside of the rig with hex head lag-type screws. The two panels on each side of the main entry door were loosened to allow access for the wiring run. I originally had hoped to mount the connector directly beneath the electric outlet, but was impeded by the upper part of the fender well which I elected not to remove. The hard part was drilling the hole in the new rig. Here is a photo of the devious undertaking:

After the pilot hole was drilled, it was bored to a larger size for the cable connector and the coax was connected to the rear of the connector. The coax was contained inside of the plastic lower portion except where the steps were located. At the steps the cable was taped with black electrical tape to a crossbar on the back of the step assembly. Three stainless steel screws were then used for the attachment to the underside of the rig as shown:

Yielding a final usable product as shown here:

And a view from further back:

I am happy with the results and thanks Bill (of Bill-N-Donna) for the fine photography, including his sneakers!!

Keep in mind the primary reason for this mod most likely will only apply to the 3750FL model since the television if mounted in the basement is not viewable from beneath the awning with the front door open. I prefer the television to be beneath the awning for protection from sun and weather.

Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 12:19 PM   #2
Captain Joe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10764
Nice job, Bingo. I am re-thinking my installation and the basement connections are not that far away. Thinking about installing a door latch on the basement door to keep in open and just attach the cable there and lay it on the ground underneath the RV to the TV location. Since the TV will be mounted to the RV, the cables will not be in anyone's way. I will post pictures soon. Thanks for all the help and taking the lead.
Captain Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 12:34 PM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Belly belly nice work.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 02:32 PM   #4
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
I like the position of Bill's sneakers. Leaning back in a lounge chair is a good position to take pictures of other people working.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 03:45 PM   #5
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Joe,
The cable on the ground deal was what I was doing before, I just got tired of having to hook it up and unhook and roll it up, etc. For the outer connection I have a couple of three foot cables with the slip on ends, to replace the constant threading on and threading off of the coax. I may have to add another connection to get the antenna to the outside as well, I tried every combination going through the same cable with jumpers, etc. and the only way I could get the antenna on the tv was to resort to the cable on the ground. The thing I dislike about the cable on the ground is having to leave the basement door open. When we were at the beach last year I used a 50 foot piece of coax, through the basement, out the convenience center bottom hole and back under the rig to the front. Thanks to all for the compliments, wonder what I can do next time, hmmmmm, maybe finish installing the daggone Autoformer that I started the install on last year?????
Bingo
Old 05-20-2011, 07:44 AM   #6
Lambchop
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5793
Neat job, Bingo!
Now, can I copy that!

Roy
Lambchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 07:48 AM   #7
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Roy,
Easy as pie, have at it. The hardest part is drilling into the rig!!!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
Old 05-20-2011, 08:42 AM   #8
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I like your method of drilling with your eyes closed. It takes all the anguish away from trying to figure out where to drill. Just turn on the drill, close your eyes and go for it!!!

You might not want to try this method when installing the autoformer, just cuz you could get lek-tro-cue-shunned and then your hair will be curlier.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 08:53 AM   #9
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Hee Hee!! I did mark the spot and held the drill there before pulling the trigger. Had to close my eyes to keep the tears from being visible in the picture!!! It was a very solemn occassiona and I think I felt the pain more than the rig did!!
Bingo
Old 06-06-2011, 01:22 PM   #10
Wheelhouse
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11462
Regarding the basement doors being left open with the tv cable connected. On our 2007-3500 RL, was to run the cable up thru the round hose connection hole in the water connection compartment. This way the cable is attached and the locked basement is secure. I will try to post a pic later. You still have to roll up the cable when you leave.
Wheelhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 05:57 AM   #11
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
I just got to do it, sorry Bingo and still hope to see you at TOPSAIL. I cannot fathom why anyone would want to watch the telly outside and ruin Mother Nature's video and audio presentation. Must be a NASCAR thing.
Cheers,
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 06:49 AM   #12
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Mike,
Nascar has nothing to do with it. The primary reason is television hijacking. The definition of television hijacking becomes readily learned when teenagers are hauled around in a Montana. If Dad wants to watch anything, then the living room is not the place to be, therefore I have to resort to the great outdoors to overcome the dreaded television hijacking syndrome!!! Ahh, the joys of parenthood!!
Bingo

Old 06-07-2011, 07:03 AM   #13
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
Thanks for the very valid explanation. I have not experienced that in 25-30 years. Grandkids don't stand a chance.
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 02:29 PM   #14
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

I have more trouble with “computer hi-jacking” I guess maybe I spend too much time in front of it anyway.