Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 04-10-2010, 07:05 AM   #1
paperheart
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7541
Water Softeners, which is best?

Not sure where to post this but need opinions. I looked in the archives but some were too old to pull up links. Any help appreciated. Janie

paperheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 07:20 AM   #2
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
We like our OnTheGo

http://www.portablewatersoftener.com/

what we really like is that it uses table salt, so we don't have a lot of rock salt stored in the basement. Personal choice on that rock salt vs table salt.

works great, and believe me the water in the Rio Grande Valley was hard as any I have yet to experience and it worked just fine there.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 08:38 AM   #3
ARJ
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6162
I use a 5 micron carbon cartridge filter and don't ever seem to have hard water problems. I don't know if the filter takes out the minerals or what but I have never noticed that the water is hard.
ARJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 10:29 AM   #4
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
We have the Flo Pur water softener. It uses table salt for regen as well. This one has brass fittings, I am not sur eof the others whether they are or not.
bw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 10:55 AM   #5
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Mrs. CountryGuy

We like our OnTheGo

http://www.portablewatersoftener.com/

what we really like is that it uses table salt, so we don't have a lot of rock salt stored in the basement. Personal choice on that rock salt vs table salt.

works great, and believe me the water in the Rio Grande Valley was hard as any I have yet to experience and it worked just fine there.
Ditto!
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 12:33 PM   #6
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
We have the one that uses rock salt and it works well.
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 01:05 PM   #7
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Allan, I really believe it depends heavily on WHERE you camp. Spent 5 months in Gulf Shores, no need to use the water softerner. 2 days in the RGV is 2 too many without one. And, of course, depends on your comfort level. That web site I posted earlier, used to have a very interesting map, showing where the water was hard, or NOT.
Old 04-10-2010, 01:58 PM   #8
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
We like the flow pur also http://www.flowpur.com/ I did not care for the timer idea on the go has, you know just when you are in the shower it will shut off your water supply and regenerate. I also like the table salt, we get it at Wal-Mart for $.33, stores easy and is inexpensive.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 03:46 PM   #9
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Doug, agree, timer is lame, and cheap and was pulled almost immediately. Don't need it to have soft water.
Old 04-11-2010, 02:53 AM   #10
paperheart
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7541
Well so far the Flow-Pur seems to have the best price per the website from Doug and Sharon, $225.00. Our local Rv dealer wants $379.00 for it. I am curious Pam about the one you have. Do you know the brand name?
I soooo appreciate all the help. We have really hard water @ the Jellystone where we spend the summer and it is staining the sinks. Hope I can remove it (stain) once I have soft water permanently.
Janie
Old 04-11-2010, 04:38 AM   #11
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
Janie, it's a Travelsoft. www.frakco.com/travelsoft.html We bought it from CW about 7 years ago. You can use either rock or solar salt. Just can't use pellets. We don't find it inconvenient to carry a bag of salt. Bill and Helen Moll (adelmoll) have the same unit and will probably come along with additional info.
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 04:21 PM   #12
ARJ
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6162
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Mrs. CountryGuy

Allan, I really believe it depends heavily on WHERE you camp. Spent 5 months in Gulf Shores, no need to use the water softerner. 2 days in the RGV is 2 too many without one. And, of course, depends on your comfort level. That web site I posted earlier, used to have a very interesting map, showing where the water was hard, or NOT.
That's true but we have been pretty much all over the country without problems. I shower daily and I am always able to get a good lather from the soap with maybe a couple of exceptions. Only place that the water was so bad the KOA owner told us not to use it was in one of the Dakotas (can't remember which). They had brought water in and then wanted to charge us for the container to transport it back to the camper.

He subsequently found that there are new places to go after I recommended them!
ARJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 04:12 AM   #13
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Yes Pam we also have the Travelsoft which uses rock or solar salt. We bought it at CW 5 years ago. It has worked very well except in the desert south west. My only complaint is the small opening they provide to pour the salt in. Sometimes the larger chunks of rock salt are hard to get in.
Bill
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 04:57 PM   #14
paperheart
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7541
Thanks everyone again for you wonderful help. We just today ordered the Pur-Flow softener off the internet, directly from the company. I think that is why it was less expensive than some of the others because there is no middle man. Hopefully it is just as good. Should be here in a couple of days, can't wait to try it out!
Janie
Old 04-13-2010, 05:52 PM   #15
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
I am sure you will enjoy it. We do.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 08:15 AM   #16
stimpy123
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8267
Send a message via Yahoo to stimpy123
I have a question of anyone. We are planning to, for the first time, live through the winter in the colder area of the USA with our water softener. I have, in the past, with a possibility of cold temps, placed a heat tape along the water supply hose with a piece of pipe insulation placed over the tape to keep the water flowing. Do any of you have a suggestion as to insulating the water softener, or would you just drain and run antifreeze into it and remove it from use, and place it in storage in the basement?
Thanks in advance,
Steve
stimpy123 is offline   Reply With Quote