Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GIRLS gone MOC > What's cooking?
Click Here to Login

Old 09-14-2008, 04:41 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
4# of Bacon

Well, I'm not a gal, but this is where the cooking Forum was moved to.

Tired of ugly, curled-up, partially cooked Bacon?
I cook mine on a foil lined cookie sheet with a wire rack for the other 2#. I like to cook 4# at a time, makes it easier to just re-heat it for use.
If you start out with a cool oven, it will not curl. 370 degrees for around 40 minutes. Blot with paper towels and put the cooled Bacon in a baggie with a towel inside in the refrigerator.
Works for me!

http://tiny.cc/Bacon306

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 05:27 AM   #2
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
4# sounds just wonderful...but I would soon lose my recently slimmed down profile if that was too handy...
Nothing better than BLT's with tomatoes from the garden.
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 05:30 AM   #3
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Bacon! So good with some yard eggs, biscuits and gravy. OZZ, that's the way they cook the bacon over at the Lighthouse Inn where DW works. They use a commercial convection oven. I hate to go outside in the mornings when the bacon is cooking. Makes me hungry even if I just ate breakfast.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 07:36 AM   #4
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Bruce, I just polished off two Sammie's, we have a super nice crop of 'mater's this year, some extra-special tasty Brandywine ones, butt ugly, but I have never had better.
Oh, congrats on the slimmed down body, Pam put you on a starvation diet?
Hey, did you change carriers? How did that opportunity work out?
Will, when I was doing the kitchen repairs and refrigeration for the Chili's in town, they would be cooking Bacon early in the morning, some of the kitchen cooks would slip me a bacon & egg Sammie every once and a while. They cooked the Bacon that was as well.
Old 09-14-2008, 08:05 AM   #5
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
We love the BLTs. DW went in one morning to help with the breakfast. She came in with a large baggie of cooked bacon. I headed for the farmer's market for fresh maters. So good. Wish I could slim down. I love good food too much!
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 10:41 AM   #6
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
Hey Jim...most of my added weight came from turning to food to relieve stress from going from the field to riding a desk. It came off again by going back out into the field and working my butt off, plus curbing my fast food desires. 60 pounds gone and kept it off for over a year now.

My career change has not taken place yet - it still may happen, but the owner is having difficulties parting with his older partner. We'll see - he says he still wants me to work for him, but actions speak louder than words, right?

Now I'm hungry...gotta go find something fun to eat.
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 10:52 AM   #7
catsR4me
Established Member

M.O.C. #6762
Doesn't the bacon get soggy after being stored in the fridge?
catsR4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 03:18 PM   #8
mtpocket2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6098
That would be bad. I would eat 4 lbs as soon as it is cooked. Have to take cholesterol medicine by the pound also.
mtpocket2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 01:57 AM   #9
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I still have about 4 slices left, I keep it in a Zip-lock bag with a clean kitchen paper towel in it. Not soggy at all, when I heat it up, I wrap it in a paper towel, microwave it for 15 seconds, and it is "Good Eats" as Alton Brown would say....
Old 10-12-2008, 07:56 AM   #10
NewFlyLady
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8071
Bacon Flowchart

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fncll/2129889439/
NewFlyLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 09:15 AM   #11
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Ozz-- that's the way we cooked the bacon when I was in the Air Force and going to tech school! We had duties before we actually started classes in our career fields and I VOLUNTEERED for KP at the base hospital. GOOD duty-- when we got done with breakfast we'd throw on a steak for ours! Had a bad blizzard one day and the only ones that made it in were myself and two others from by flight and a staff sargent. We cooked for the whole hospital and had raved reviews for our effort. If you coat the bacon with flour it won't curl either. This is making me hungry for BLTs and we just had our killing frost today so no more "fresh" tomatoes! Have to move south and put in another garden!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 01:03 PM   #12
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Rondo, I would love to be able to cook in a commercial kitchen, if I hit the lottery, I would rebuild our kitchen with commercial equipment, maybe the food would not be better, but the equipment would be fun.
The large, stocked kitchen you cooked in was probably a blast.
Remember the movie with Jack Nickelson where he was left over the Winter, with the hotel's stocked kitchen and full pantry? He went nuts, but not because he didn't eat well.... (Here's Johnny!)
What was the name of that movie?
I am looking at our Tomatoes left on the vine, the cold weather has taken it's toll. Is there anything better than fresh garden Tomatoe? I think not.
We need to 'network' with some nice southerners and get good garden Tomatoes flown in to us for a BLT party! Good story, Rondo.
Old 10-28-2008, 05:39 PM   #13
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Ozz,

The movie would be "The Shining". Heah, I have a garden that needs to be planted and seeds in the drawer. We are still in Bacliff, where it will be colder tonight than at home in Driftwood. We are going home to this weekend to put the pool to bed and wrap up pipes and automatic water pumps for the fish pond.

Wish you were here, we found the best restaurant to eat at near Oyster Creek. This place is out by itself with nothing around. Wish I could move it to Driftwood. They have a grilled Grouper with Oyster/Chipolte Salsa..... I can't have it because of the Oyster sauce. The Crazy Shrimp Pasta, Blackened Chicken Alfredo, Shrimp Brochette....I could go on and on.

If you have an maters left on your vines, pluck those suckers off and freeze them. You can use them in spaghetti and soups and still have the same great fresh mater taste.

Colleen
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 01:28 AM   #14
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Thanks, I will try that.
The eats sound great, you know that is one of the super things about travel, all the nice places you find.
Have a safe trip back up North. What was the outcome on the service call?
Old 10-29-2008, 03:12 AM   #15
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Ozz,

Bob had torn just about everything out and up trying to get to the leak. It was just in a place the wasn't reachable without cutting into things. After tearing the floor board apart and insulation under the fender, he still couldn't get to the leak so he cut an access hole in my pantry. He didn't have the tools or the pipe and nuts to fix it so we called the service guy who had his card in the office. He didn't answer his phone that day or the next. I went into the office and asked the ladies at the desk who else might be good? Carolyn, got on the phone and said "where are you?" It seems like her husband used to work on RV's and was quiting as maintance man here at the park. He came over and looked at the hole, said " I will be back in 20 minutes." Sure enough he was back shortly, fixed the leak and told us he wanted $25.00 to fix it. We were pleasantly surprised and paid him. We have done some things for them here in the park. Guess what goes around comes around.

Colleen
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote