Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-16-2008, 08:02 AM   #1
Cyrus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6535
Bio-diesel

I had not put any bio-diesel in my truck until the last filling. Didn’t catch it until I had started the pump and was not sure it was bio-diesel. I have a friend who handles the fuel tank install and repairs at stations and he told me it was bio-diesel and the concern is the percentage of the bio-product. I didn’t know the answer but I have run ½ the tank out.

What experience have you had with bio-diesel?

Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 08:30 AM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
My 08 Ford 6.4L diesel says 5% Bio Diesel is ok. I will not use it as a few friends of mine have had problems.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 11:29 AM   #3
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
On my F-350, I have used a few gallons of biodiesel without any noticeable impact on performance or clogged fuel filters. In general, I stay away from biodiesel just to avoid any problems. In most cases, the pumps only say "Biodiesel up to X %". The "X" is not known even though I have see it as high as 25%--generally it is in the 5% range.
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 12:01 PM   #4
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
I ran a tank through the Duramax with no problems. It was B10 IIRC. I would run more if available. Only problems I have ever heard of is plugging the fuel filter with the crud it cleans out of the fuel system.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 12:41 PM   #5
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Actually, biodiesel is better for our injectors and injector pumps -- better lubrication. As said though, it will clean out your system of crud so if you put it in a little older vehicle then it may plug the filter sooner. Oh, on my 06, the engine (while already quiet) was actually quieter. Not a thing for the macho man in me but made the wife happier.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 01:54 PM   #6
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
GM also says no more than 5% bio-diesel.

If you have out lived the 100,000 mile warranty than you can use bio-diesel if you dare but if you are not over that 100,000 mile mark you will be sacrificing your remaining warranty and that came from GM.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 05:13 PM   #7
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Glenn and Lorraine

GM also says no more than 5% bio-diesel.

If you have out lived the 100,000 mile warranty than you can use bio-diesel if you dare but if you are not over that 100,000 mile mark you will be sacrificing your remaining warranty and that came from GM.
Well, here we go again. "You will be sacrificing your remaining warranty". Same old song and dance. Just how in the heck will they know I ran a few tankfuls of B10 Bio diesel? DNA? Seems all the dirt ingested through an after market air filter would be a lot easier to detect. JMHO
Old 08-17-2008, 03:08 AM   #8
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
For the warranty to be voided they would have to prove beyond a doubt that the bio-diesel caused the problems. There are laws in place that protect warranties regarding after-market items. I would think it would apply to fuel - within reason. (Within reason - citrus juice burns but I wouldn't run it in an engine.)
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 03:46 AM   #9
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Waynem

For the warranty to be voided they would have to prove beyond a doubt that the bio-diesel caused the problems. There are laws in place that protect warranties regarding after-market items. I would think it would apply to fuel - within reason. (Within reason - citrus juice burns but I wouldn't run it in an engine.)
Wayne, you are correct to an extent. But....they can deny warranty and it is up to you to prove them wrong. And, they have deep pockets. GM does state that they do not recommend any thing over B5. Seems IIRC it is an issue with alcohol in the Bio. Someone can correct me if I am wrong.

My point is this. The manufacturers can deny warranty for anything they want; oil filter, fuel filter, air filter, exhaust system, performance "chip", etc. How many folks have the resources to hire an attorney and fight the warranty issue. Back to my other post. If you run an after market air filter, and start having an oil consumption issue and pull into the wrong dealer, what is to keep them from flagging your warranty? I have known of GM to not perform warranty service on a vehicle until an OEM oil was installed in place of Brand X. One of my friends had this happen.

I posted on another thread what an acquaintance at Aransas Pass relayed to me from his Dodge dealer. Supposedly Dodge will issue a bulletin to recall the 6.7 Cummins for overfueling on #6 cylinder. The dealer says they are to flag warranty on any trucks that have any filters that are not OEM. Now, we know that is not legal, but what do you do? Spend thousands of dollars on an attorney? If the vehicle is financed through a manufacturer, there is likely a clause where you must go through an arbitration process instead of court.

We know how bad of shape the Big 3 are in. I wouldn't be surprised at any such move by any of the three. Merely my opinion.
Old 08-17-2008, 05:06 AM   #10
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Can you imagine how many MPG the new Diesel engines would be getting if we could get pencil pushers (EPA) out of Truck engine design. The DPF is nothing more than a choke on a Diesel engine. The same thing happened in the early 70's, at the time I was running a GMC 1974 3/4 ton with a 454 cubic gas engine and had very little HP, and the 1973 Model GMC had a 350 cubic engine and wouldn't pull the hat off your head. And until the last few years since the EPA got involved in forcing the Big three into emissions on the HD Trucks the fuel mileage was great. As for Bio-Diesel I have run it in the 2008 Chevy and didn't have a problem. I run the cheapest Diesel I can find which is Wally World or Flying J and so for haven't had a problem. I do carry a spare Fuel Filter. And yes the warranty work will get tight so make sure you don't run those Gadgets. The DPF system does nothing but waste Diesel fuel. Good Luck. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 05:12 AM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
A simple fuel analysis will detect the level of bio diesel and how coud one prove that they had "only used it once and did not know the level of bio." Why is it so dificult to follow and stay within the manufactureres spec's..Why take a chance??
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 05:38 AM   #12
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

A simple fuel analysis will detect the level of bio diesel and how coud one prove that they had "only used it once and did not know the level of bio." Why is it so dificult to follow and stay within the manufactureres spec's..Why take a chance??
Only with a full tank of bio. If diluted with other diesel to the level of B5 (5% bio)they cannot tell it was ever over B5.

BTW, in my opinion you're basically screwed if a dealer wants to deny warranty. I was just reading a case about an 03 Duramax with bad injectors. Dealer sad it was water damage, but the WIF never showed on the DIC. Owner said he had fuel analyzed, and fuel was fine. Bill; $3400 for new injectors. Dealer denied warranty.

Back to my acquaintance with the Dodge. He had a fire believed caused by turbo over heat. First thing out of the dealers (in Madisonville, TX)mouth; what were you pulling with it (3500)? When told it was a fifth wheel, he preceded to say it must have been to heavy. The fiver is a Designer with layout like a 3400RL. I haven't spoken to the guy since moving to Rockport, but I know he was having hell getting Dodge to step up to the plate.
Old 08-17-2008, 04:05 PM   #13
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
It is hard for me to believe that GM would want to upset the farmers by saying that not to use bio-diesel. They want to sell trucks to the farmers,don't they. By restricting the diesel to 5% that is what they are doing. Ford,the last I heard,say,nothing more then 20%. They want to sell trucks to the farmers.I have run bio-diesel and had no problems.A friend works for a feed company and all they use in the summer is bio-diesel and they drive the trucks everyday with no problems. These are not pick ups. I would think a statement like that would be cutting their throat.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 11:45 AM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
My Dodge manual also says no more than 5%. I read recently that if you use bio-diesel to make sure it says it meets some standard (I forgot the number/name). The article also said quality control is pretty lacking in the blending(?) facilities and the risk is getting dirty fuel that can clog filters, injectors and maybe cause other problems. It was enough to scare me away until the bio-fuel situation is more stable. Maybe I'm being overcautious but I'm not anxious to pay out of pocket to make major repairs to this engine.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote