Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 01-28-2008, 12:31 PM   #1
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
FEMA trailers?

While watching the evening news tonight, the topic was the famaldahyde present in the trailers being used in the south after the hurricanes.
I guess I'm a little confused that they are having so much trouble and we don't seem to hear from our full timer pals about it!
Is the CDC only concerned with these people or are they caring about the RV industry as a whole. They did not mention anyone else but the FEMA trailers.
I will admit I have smelled the odor in certain trailers, but I don't remember ever smelling it in our Montana or anyone elses I've been in.

Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 01:06 PM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
That story has been around for awhile and there have been several post here on this forum about folks being sickened by fumes.
I book marked this site some time ago.... http://www.toxictrailers.org/2007/07...maldehyde.html

Although the feds regulate the use of formaldehyde in mobile homes they do not for Rv's. we have not noticed any oder or had any problems with our 3400. Since these FEMA folks are under a Federal jurisdiction perhaps some action will be taken.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 01:42 PM   #3
gpats
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7742
Read my post on waste water treatments---all environmentally safe and no unpleasant odors--
gpats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 01:57 PM   #4
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
From the Associated Press....
Study claims FEMA ignored toxic findings

WASHINGTON (AP) -- A new study says FEMA ignored government research on the long-term effects of formaldehyde in trailers used by victims of hurricanes Katrina and Rita.

The House Science and Technology subcommittee says FEMA manipulated findings to play down the dangers posed by the chemical.

A FEMA spokesman denies the charges, saying the agency "did not suppress or inappropriately influence any report."

Formaldehyde is a common preservative used in building materials and manufactured homes. It can cause respiratory problems and has been classified as a carcinogen.

People living in FEMA trailers have complained about health problems related to the chemical but initial FEMA tests showed the air quality inside the trailers was safe if they were properly ventilated.

Lawmakers say the federal health agency providing guidance to FEMA was "complicit in giving FEMA precisely what they wanted."

FEMA is currently testing 500 of the 40,000 trailers and results are expected next month, with a final report to come in May.
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 12:56 AM   #5
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
We first looked at our Montana on the dealers lot when it was 98 degrees, the owner opened the trailer up, we went inside and I couldn't breathe. I had to go outside. It STUNK. We opened all openings and waited for a half hour or so, then went in, it was barely tolerable then.
I worked on my Monte for three month's or so before we took it out, it was pretty good by then, but the out gassing has to go through it's phase.
Same deal in a new truck, just not so bad.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 02:10 AM   #6
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
I transported FEMA trailers for months after the hurricanes. I used the units to sleep in durng trips to the Gulf area. I used a small fan and opened the windows on my night stays, never had a problem. These units were hauled down to stageing areas that held several thousand trailers. These units could have set for up to six months or longer with no ventilation. Some of the folks that got these units never had a home that did not leak air or had AC. They never opend the windows after they received a unit. Some units came set up more like homes, small wall furnace and household refrigerator-freezer. The units I hauled had a sticker on the inside that instructed people to open a window for ventilation.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 03:08 AM   #7
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
When we were looking for our 5er, we walked into many that had that peculiar smell. We picked out the 3400RL and I asked about the smell. They said they would take care of it.

The technician I talked to the next day said they opened all the windows, turned on the AC and let it run for a couple days. At night the closed the windows, but kept the AC turned way down through out the "getting ready" phase. When we picked it up there was no smell.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 03:55 AM   #8
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
We went to the RV show here in Denver this month. "entertainment for us"
Some of the trailers and 5th wheels, different brands. We could not breathe, had to step outside. Smell was very strong!!
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 09:21 AM   #9
pilk
Established Member

M.O.C. #1633
Send a message via AIM to pilk
I seen the same news show last night about the fema trailers. I read rich's link on this issue. It sounds like if your RV is more than 2 years old that any lingering effects of the formaldehyde should be gone. Is that the correct take on this??

Bob
pilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 12:14 PM   #10
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Two years ago we took possession of our first TT. it was a Jayco and it was really hot the day we first looked at it. The service staff said they would take care of it and "burn out" the trailer. They kicked the furnace on for two days at about 90 degrees then opened all the windows for two days with the AC on. When we picked it up there was very little smell and no burning eyes or coughing. We spent 7 months in that rig without a break and never had any problems with any additional odors... Dave and Betsy
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 12:40 AM   #11
MacDR50
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7691
Ventilation is the key. Several years ago we moved into a brand new office building that had no opening windows and the minimum allowable mechanical ventilation. The first week in the new building was horrible. People started taking time off to avoid the stuffy noses, watery eyes and persistent coughs. The owner was given an ultimatum and he increased the ventilation.
MacDR50 is offline   Reply With Quote